Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#176162 - 07/13/09 02:28 AM Urban EDC
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the new forum. New topic - how does Urban edc differ from wilderness EDC?

#176166 - 07/13/09 02:33 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: TeacherRO]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh heck yeah.

Wire stripers are in my urban EDC, even if it just a little Squirt-E. Not in my EDC in the woods. But I also don't EDC stove made from a coffee can when I'm on the black top.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#176168 - 07/13/09 02:40 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Thanks for the new forum. New topic - how does Urban edc differ from wilderness EDC?

City game is all icky. No bunnies, no deer. Least not in my zip code. Apparently there are some fish in the Potomac and Tidal Basin but I think they have three eyes.

Venison probably tastes better than rat. Or the occasional possum I've seen around here.

Seriously, though, one of the major differences that occurs to me is that looting, violence and other mayhem is not an issue in the wilderness, as it well could be in an urban area.

The only thing scarier than DC in some scenarios would be wilderness full of armed, hungry Grizzlies.

Survival in extreme weather seems the same challenge, though there are certainly more traditional options for shelter in the city. Dry clothes should be easier to find in the city. If city water is shut down or tainted, it's less likely you'll find a clean spring in the city than the wilderness.

All this survival talk is causing me to give thanks every night for electricity, running water, supermarkets and relative peace.

Edited by Dagny (07/13/09 02:41 AM)

#176171 - 07/13/09 02:54 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Dagny]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I'd say it's quite different. The odds of foraging in anything short term slim (Although Blast could tell you how to find food - and at least where I am in NYC, there are quite a few squirrels, and if I go 1/2 mile, a lot of rabbits, and fish)

During a LOT of "disasters" in the Urban situation, you're really going to be looking at a "How do I get Home?" scenario, and once there, you're either into a more general situtation, or you're like me, and live in the city.

In a few ways, NYC in a disaster is probably better off than many cities. First, we have a VERY large Police and Fire Department, that can throw manpower at a problem like you could not believe, which leads to MOST problems being short term. Another good thing is that NYC's water supply is gravity fed, so a loss of power does NOT lead to a loss of water, UNLESS you live in a building taller than approximately 5-6 stories (where they have to pump the water up to tanks on the roof)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#176205 - 07/13/09 12:51 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: KG2V]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I worked in downtown Baltimore for 12 years, and got put in some interesting scenarios in that time. I agree that most disasters in an urban setting equate to "How do I get home?" because very few workplaces are well-positioned to be a place of refuge for any length of time.
I have always EDC'd a multitool, small flashlight, and a lighter. Other items have come and gone, but these have always been the core. In the past few years I have increased this to include an EDC backpack that is ostensibly for my laptop and its accessories but also contains:
- radio/flashlight that charges by solar/crank/USB cable
- water and food
- protective gear including dust mask and ear plugs
- Esbit stove and metal cup
- PSK including DR PSP, AMK first aid kit, poncho, Heatsheets blanket, small folding knife, small Leatherman tool, lighter, bandana, etc.
- USB key with encrypted vital docs

Wilderness survival is about surviving until you are found. In an urban setting you are probably never going to be "lost" in that sense, so the goal is safely getting to a place where there is security, shelter, and sustenance; this gear is meant to do that.

All this lives in a smaller bag about the size of a thick hardcover book that will easily pop out of the larger backpack. Ideally this would have been augmented by the larger Get Home Bag in the car trunk, if my car was accessible.

I also had maps for the trek home, if that became necessary. 40 miles would equate to several days even without any major problems, so the plan was to go light and fast.

None of the things that I experienced (Train tunnel fire, 9-11 general freak out, building fires, bomb threats) required walking home, but having some gear and having thought through some possible scenarios always made me feel like I had an edge in dealing with the things that came up.

#176215 - 07/13/09 01:56 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: airballrad]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
One of the biggest changes I made from doing Urban/Rural SAR as apposed to Wilderness SAR (Basically Maine SAR vs. Alaska SAR) were electronics/electrically focused.

While I did SAR in New England I always carried a mini phone (one of those cheep $9 phones available at Radio Shack or Wal-Mart) the kind that they promoted to kids. The thing was great it could make phone calls and I had a patching system that I could connect to phone lines to call for help/support or to report locations.

Also during my New England time I carried wire cutters and more equipment to navigate electricity and locks (don't ask about the locks) I even carried the tools necessary to open Elevators and get past security screws. Thank goodness a cop never looked in my bag, everything was carried and used in SAR and Urban survival venue, but lets just say that a thief would have killed for my kit.

When I moved to Alaska I put all the electrical equipment aside, there were no phone polls to climb and tap into to call for support. There were no elevators (at the time I lived there) that I would need to access or get out of. So I dumped the4 3 pounds of gear. But promptly added things that I knew I would need.

Now my Urban Survival kit includes even a mini laptop. Where I would never bring that into the wilderness.

#176322 - 07/14/09 02:02 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Tyber]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I usually carry less in urban environment because for me I`m normally not that far from my vehicle which has the rest of my gear in it. My commute consists of urban and wilderness so I have enough gear to walk home, or live in the woods, or live in the city... I would say the #1 thing on my list are communications that work in BOTH places, and water.

#176373 - 07/14/09 05:33 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Todd W]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Actually, I think there'd be a much better chance of acquiring food and potable water in urban setting. Even if municipal water is no good, bottled water is going to be common enough at least for a short period, but probably long enough to do a bug out. I work in downtown Denver and live 35 miles away. I also take the train because driving in is just not an option. I can't keep a bicycle at work, so that means if the bubble goes up I have to walk out. I cannot keep a decent bug out pack with me, so security becomes an issue, as does comfortable ambulation. I have some decent routes to take, but it's all afoot unless I manage to get a ride. In any case, I would first be looking for a means of defending myself, then a way to comfortably carry whatever gear/supplies I can scrounge up that I would need. I don't need a compass or a map. I will need a flashlight. I can start out with a backpack with a couple quarts of water and at least two days worth of food, or a lot more if I smash the vending machines on my way out the door. I always have my edc with me, which includes multi tool, 2 LED pocket lights, lighter, laser pointer, and money.

After that it is pretty much the clothes on my back, and the rest I will probably find/acquire along the way. If I had to shelter in place, I have no doubt I could get by here for at least a week, more likely two.

#176397 - 07/14/09 08:43 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: benjammin]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
One focus for Urban Everyday Carry is provided by the word "carry." Different urban environments and occupations may limit what you can comfortably, legally, and practically carry as you go about your normal daily business.

For example, fairly often and on a moments notice, I have to go into secure buildings, through metal detectors and pocket-emptying. Security folks do not like seeing large metal tools, blades of any kind, fireams, fire-staring gear, stuff that looks like drugs, etcetera. If these were part of my EDC I would be frequesntly losing them to the authorities and having other unwelcome challenges.

I also live in California where there are lots of restrictions on things like blades and firearms.

My "solution" has been to keep a BOB backpack in my vehicle close by and to carry a TSA-approved type set of gear.

#176451 - 07/15/09 10:55 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: dweste]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Years ago I worked for a small PC shop and we did printer work too and I ended up with all the printer jobs. I went onsite to a couple places and was surprised at the lack of consistancy in tools. One place was in a prison for the library computer and after emptying my pockets was told I couldn't bring that in so as I reached for my pocket knife to take it back to the van the guard said no, the cell phone can't go in, the knife can.
Another time the guards were not wanting me to take in my leatherman and I asked them if they were going to provide tools then and a lady guard came over to see what was going on and was like "ohh thats a leatherman, it can go"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.