The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#176761 - 07/18/09 10:23 AM Re: Handheld GPS? [Re: JohnE]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
Hmmm...not sure how you got that idea but no, I don't need 2 card slots, I'm not even sure if I need 1.

That's what I'm tryin to figure out. It seems that Garmin offers either internal memory of 24 mbs or the option of using microSD cards to increase the map capacity.

Oh ok, I'm sorry - looks like I misread your post. Anyway, based on your clarification and all the other feedback I'd add yet another recommendation for the eTrex HCx series. Hi-sensitivity chipset, excellent battery life, robust, compact and not expensive.

#176771 - 07/18/09 03:34 PM Re: Handheld GPS? [Re: Tom_L]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
No worries, I've pretty much decided that the Vista HCx is the one I want. I like the idea of having the compass and an altimeter built in and I've been convinced that the card memory system is the better idea.

I've found them priced at $235 from TVNav, a company I've dealt with in the past with no issues. REI has them for $250 but even with my rebate I'd be paying more because of the state sales tax. Although the more I think about it, it's pretty much a wash between paying for shipping and paying the tax so I might head over to REI today and see if they have one in stock.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. Sometimes I just need a good strong push to get me going to where I know I need to go anyway.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#176774 - 07/18/09 04:39 PM Re: Handheld GPS? [Re: ]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Thanks Izzy, I just ordered one from GPS City. Best price I've found so far, I even went for the slightly faster shipping.

I really like buying stuff from REI and getting that nice rebate check at the end of the year but sometimes you gotta go with the discounters. Saving about $40 after the rebate is accounted for, too good of a deal to pass up. I can use that cash to buy a decent sized memory card.

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#176837 - 07/19/09 11:27 AM Re: Handheld GPS? [Re: JohnE]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: JohnE
For those who use a memory card GPS, any issues arising from the use of the cards?
Nope. The card in mine works perfectly.

#176907 - 07/20/09 12:59 AM Re: Handheld GPS? [Re: Brangdon]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The only issue with cards is if you buy the preloaded card from Garmin you then can't see those maps on your computer, they are limited to that card only. If you buy the maps on DVD they copy to the card and you can mix and match. They are also licensed per device so you can have the maps on more than one one PC.

#176938 - 07/20/09 12:21 PM Re: Handheld GPS? [Re: Eugene]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

For those who use a memory card GPS, any issues arising from the use of the cards?

My only complaint about the micro SD cards on the Garmin HCX Vista is that it only allows you to hold 2 gig of data or 2011 maps whichever comes first. I wish I could put a 16 gig card in and be done with it, so unfortunately I have to carry a small container with it for my maps. It is unique to me and may not apply to you but the maps I carry have topos,road and marine maps of most of the world and are quite a few micro SD cards. I wish Garmin would lift the restrictions of map sizes on the newer GPS. My goal is to have a AA powered GPS with maps of the entire world for my traveling. I'm slowly getting there....

Note: I have yet to find a better GPS for my needs than the Garmin Vista HCX but I'm always looking.

Advantages:
1. Small (pocket size)
2. 2-AA batteries (universal batteries with a long long run time)
3. Will give routing directions in street mode
4. waterproof
5. Can load topos,road and marine maps for many scenarios
6. Can run 100% (with no batteries in the unit) off a 40 watt portable solar cell
7. Highly sensitive GPS chipset that can be used under heavy canopy
8. In the event of a military satellite failure the maps are still usable like paper maps are and with solar capability a loss of the electrical grid system isn't an issue for recharging batteries or what have you.
9. Durable and reliable

#176939 - 07/20/09 12:30 PM Re: Handheld GPS? [Re: falcon5000]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
When traveling I usually have my laptop and can change the maps in the Garmin's memory as required.

#176941 - 07/20/09 12:36 PM Re: Handheld GPS? [Re: Russ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

The problem I have with that is some countries I travel to a laptop would get stolen or no power for them without solar charging. Don't get me wrong I do use my laptop when I can with the Delorme GPS and software but when traveling out of country or off the beating road I use the Garmin and also as a back up to the laptop in the states. Plus my laptop isn't water proof or that durable.

#176970 - 07/20/09 03:34 PM Re: Handheld GPS? [Re: falcon5000]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Now we can start talking about a solid state HD netbook computer to go with the new GPS unit...!! It never ends.

What's that saying about boys and their toys...?

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#177024 - 07/20/09 09:38 PM Re: Handheld GPS? [Re: falcon5000]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: falcon5000

My only complaint about the micro SD cards on the Garmin HCX Vista is that it only allows you to hold 2 gig of data or 2011 maps whichever comes first. I wish I could put a 16 gig card in and be done with it, so unfortunately I have to carry a small container with it for my maps. It is unique to me and may not apply to you but the maps I carry have topos,road and marine maps of most of the world and are quite a few micro SD cards. I wish Garmin would lift the restrictions of map sizes on the newer GPS. My goal is to have a AA powered GPS with maps of the entire world for my traveling. I'm slowly getting there....

Note: I have yet to find a better GPS for my needs than the Garmin Vista HCX but I'm always looking.

Advantages:
1. Small (pocket size)
2. 2-AA batteries (universal batteries with a long long run time)
3. Will give routing directions in street mode
4. waterproof
5. Can load topos,road and marine maps for many scenarios
6. Can run 100% (with no batteries in the unit) off a 40 watt portable solar cell
7. Highly sensitive GPS chipset that can be used under heavy canopy
8. In the event of a military satellite failure the maps are still usable like paper maps are and with solar capability a loss of the electrical grid system isn't an issue for recharging batteries or what have you.
9. Durable and reliable

I've been watching reviews on this, it may overcome the one or two etrex limitations.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=11019#specsTab
I fit just under 2011 maps on a 2G card, I did the lower 48 us states from city navigator then all the topo east of the mississippi. I figured if I needed a few more I could drop the CN west of the mississippi then do another card with CN and topo west of the mississippi and swap cards there.
I'm thinking having more than 2000 maps on a card would get unmanageable anyway, scrolling through the menu now to enable or disable one is a pain since there are so many.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.