Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#176571 - 07/16/09 01:41 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: benjammin]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Interesting thought RE Light during urban scenarios

I've always carried a few cylume type sticks - and recently got a Glotoob. I almost did away with my cylume sticks - then I said "nope". Iremember the blackout - I was in the subway at the time - Times Square Station in fact. (just luck - I was in a train). At that time, the station was under construction, and there were large sections with NO emergency power

Now, I had a flashlight to get out, and I helped folks by lighting their way out - but I di one other thing (and was thanked by many people) - I took out a bunch of light sticks, lit them, and just LEFT them - Other folks could SEE - Amazing what a few light sticks can do - and you can leave them behind, which I'm NOT going to do with a glo-toob
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#176582 - 07/16/09 03:24 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: KG2V]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I took out a bunch of light sticks, lit them, and just LEFT them - Other folks could SEE - Amazing what a few light sticks can do - and you can leave them behind, which I'm NOT going to do with a glo-toob

+100 karma points to you. This is a great idea. Thinking about it, I have dozens of little trade show flashlights. If I know I'm heading into a situation that could end up with lots of people in the dark I'll thow a handful into my manbag. They don't weigh anything but would be priceless in such a situation.

Hmmm, thinking more maybe you subway riders could work a deal with Doug to have ETS sell packs of cheap, logo flashlights y'all can buy and pass out the next time this happens.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176612 - 07/16/09 05:44 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Blast]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
If I`m not walking to far or in a car kit... I always have at least two lights. 1 for distance that may last 1 or 2 hours, and one that is for spread/close-up work that lasts 24hr+. Can hand one off to someone else to do something while you are doing something, and if one busts you have the other. wink

#176615 - 07/16/09 05:50 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Todd W]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I'm realizing some level of sun protection would be a good idea too ... something I'm currently missing. The building I'm in just had to evacuate due to a fire alarm and standing around out in the sun certainly would've been more comfortable with a hat.

It's the type of thing that I'd think would be much more important had there been some sort of real emergency where I'd have to hoof it for a ways.

On the up side, I was glad my water bottle was a bit over half full when the alarm went off.

#176618 - 07/16/09 06:02 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: TeacherRO]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
My urban EDC is intended to deal with thirst, escape, rescue, communications, first aid. It is not intended to provide shelter, warmth or (much) food.

My wilderness EDC is intended to provide warmth, shelter, water and food as well as signaling and lighting.

#176635 - 07/16/09 07:10 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
What is the smallest tool a person could EDC that would open a fire hydrant?

-Blast, who understands in some situations having everyone open hydrants would be a VERY bad idea.

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176639 - 07/16/09 07:37 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Blast]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Slip joint plyers. Or go to e-bay and get a HYD. wrench, Or try this.
http://www.jmefireequipment.com/item/109112/5-Hole-Hydrant-Wrench.aspx

#176644 - 07/16/09 08:12 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: big_al]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: big_al
Slip joint plyers. Or go to e-bay and get a HYD. wrench, Or try this.
http://www.jmefireequipment.com/item/109112/5-Hole-Hydrant-Wrench.aspx

That would be a perfect necklace piece for Blast!

#176647 - 07/16/09 08:28 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Todd W]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
2 oz or so of C-4 agent should do the trick, but then you should already know that Blast!

Alternatively, about 6 wraps of det cord at the base ought to open it right up. The problem in both cases will be getting it closed again.

#176649 - 07/16/09 08:41 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: big_al]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Urban EDC.

To me, this is your basic kit list:

Money.
Mobile phone.
Water.
Snack food.
Torch.
Head torch.
Non-locking knife.
Multi-tool.
20' 550 cord.
Waterproof.
Lighter.
Small compass.
Carrier bag.
Garbage bag.
Day sack or haversack.

Now to explain:

Money. Always carry some cash. If you can still use your credit/debit card's then great. If not, a £100/$100 will go a very long way if spent carefully.

Mobile phone. Every day use + emergencys. Get one with a radio built in. Always as good idea if thing go pear shaped.

Water. A couple of half litre bottles. Dehydration is always an issue. It's amazing how much you sweat moving around people.

Snack food. If you can buy a hot meal then great. If not have enough calories on hand to stave off that low blood sugar feeling.

Torch. Hand sized L.E.D. City's have all sorts of dark and unfriendly corners. You may have to compromise between power and run time.

Head torch. Always a good idea. I've lost count of the number of times that I needed a torch and both hands!

Non-locking knife. Tends to upset those of a nervious disposition some what less than a locking/fixed blade. Even presuming that carrying the latter is legal for you.

Multi-tool. Your choice. One thing I will say: The Victorinox multi-tools are a lot better for urban use than Leatherman, Gerber et al. Tougher, better tools.

20' 550 cord. Don't have to explain that one do I?

Waterproof. Getting cold and wet is for idiot's. It does not need to be state of the art. Basic, packable will do.

Lighter. Ditto.

Small compass. It's very easy to get turned around in a city. Most city A to Z maps are orientated north up. Being able to sort out which way your facing is always a good start.

Carrier bag. Sit on it, turn it in to a waterproof hat. Carry your shopping in it.

Garbage bag. Ditto.

Day sack. Need some thing to carry things in.

Other thing's you might find useful are:

Electricians tape.
Duct tape.
Cable ties.
Note pad.
Couple of pens/marker pens.
Spare batteries.

Dress to survive, not to arrive. At least on your outer layers. Presume that you are going to miss the last bus or train home. Which means a night sitting on your bag, in the rain. Huddled under the garbage bag.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.