Topic Options
#176263 - 07/13/09 05:29 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: philip
>
It seems to be that some people think their rational decisions apply across the board to all people. Just as you object to people saying they get along fine without a car,

If you are referring to me with these comments, ...

Nope, sorry, I'm referring to the guy who objected to people saying they get along fine without a car because he had a family and needed a car. It's hard to keep the threads straight, even though they're indented, isn't it.

Sorry for confusing you.

#176557 - 07/16/09 10:38 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: philip]
hazeywolf Offline

werd - Parkour BOUnicycle (jk) - bikes are cool though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o

Motorbikes are better - like a KLR 650...

A sea worthy sail boat with a desalinator and some fishing gear might be best of all.

#176595 - 07/16/09 04:01 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: philip
Let me turn it around: when you find you can't get out, should those who planned on staying and have the plan and materials to survive refuse to aid those who planned to cut and run? :->

I'd be surprised if those who were mindful enough of preparedness to plan for evacuating were not also better prepared for sheltering in.

I couldn't agree more.

Although there is a "HEAD FOR THE HILLS" mentality, because for some darn reason people in the city think people in the hills have food coming out their ears, and water flowing in all their backyards. I think it's just an imaginary wish of a 'great life'.... but there was a study someplace that showed a lot of ppl think "heading for the hills" is the answer.

#176598 - 07/16/09 04:17 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Todd W]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Todd W
...there was a study someplace that showed a lot of ppl think "heading for the hills" is the answer.

Were they advised they might not have cable in the hills?

;-)

#176600 - 07/16/09 04:20 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Todd W]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Todd W
Although there is a "HEAD FOR THE HILLS" mentality, because for some darn reason people in the city think people in the hills have food coming out their ears, and water flowing in all their backyards. I think it's just an imaginary wish of a 'great life'.... but there was a study someplace that showed a lot of ppl think "heading for the hills" is the answer.

Well, there is much more likelihood of finding a nice garden to poach from in "the hills", and wells are much more prevalent, so water would be easy to poach as well. Not that I'd poach during an emergency or anything. blush

#176608 - 07/16/09 04:56 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: hazeywolf]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> A sea worthy sail boat with a desalinator and some fishing gear might be best
> of all.

If I remember the original query, it's about evacuating because of a coming hurricane. :-> I'd be very leery of putting out to sea to escape another Katrina on the east coast.

#176717 - 07/17/09 05:47 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: philip]
pteron Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Depends on the boat - an acquaintance of mine tells the story of a couple who owned a 63 ft catamaran. Not the sort of boat you hire in the BVIs for a vacation, but designed for sprightly performance. A hurricane was due to land in the Caribbean - they set out and sailed around it!

#176727 - 07/17/09 09:01 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: pteron]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

The original thread also referenced terrorist attacks.

A boat would be an excellent option in several non-hurricane scenarios for those of us in the middle of this city. The Potomac leads to the Chesapeake Bay and that presents all kinds of options.

I have a kayak -- in storage in the mountains. Was already thinking of bringing that back to the city.

There is much to be said for a power boat or sailboat at one of the marinas around here.

Great thinking outside the car-box.

#176729 - 07/17/09 09:22 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You could always save up the pennies and get a Little Nellie to get out of dodge pretty quickly. As you can see Little Nellie can fit into 4 large suitcases stored in the garage or a large cupboard. whistle

#176739 - 07/17/09 11:47 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Eugene]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: sodak

Good for you. For those of us with families, this isn't an option.

Not true at all. There are handelbar child seats, rear child seats, trail a bikes, trailers, etc.

Look at some of the "bike trains" even http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=279527

A high end bike, seat, trailer and other gear is still cheaper to buy and own than even a low end car.

Yes, for small families it would be fine. If, however, you have several children, including toddlers/babies, and, oh yeah, lets not forget a disabled parent. Then it doesn't work at all.

I'm not saying you have to have a car. I AM saying that one size does NOT fit all.

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.