Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#176587 - 07/16/09 03:45 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Lono]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
For us it's either drive, hitch, walk, and soon we are gonna keep a bike in our vehicle in case the roads are packed and we need to get home. W/nearly 50 miles to cover and thousands of feet to climb walking would take a couple days!

#176604 - 07/16/09 04:47 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Arney]
LoneWolf Offline

Actually trying it out seems to be a really good idea. Something that keeps niggling at the back of my mind (man it's dark in there) is that quite some time ago (probably years), there was a posting by a guy who did just that. He wrote it up about what worked and what didn't and so forth. It was a really good posting. I have tried the search engine, but haven't been able to find it. Does that ring a bell with anyone else, or is my imagination just running wild?

LW

P.S. GREAT new forum section. Thanks to Doug Ritter and the new moderators for the forum and for just doing a great job in general.

#176605 - 07/16/09 04:54 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: LoneWolf]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
there was a posting by a guy who did just that. He wrote it up about what worked and what didn't and so forth. It was a really good posting.

Yeah...that sounds familiar. It might have been Raspy though a part of my mind says it was on a different forum.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176611 - 07/16/09 05:42 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Blast]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
there was a posting by a guy who did just that. He wrote it up about what worked and what didn't and so forth. It was a really good posting.

Yeah...that sounds familiar. It might have been Raspy though a part of my mind says it was on a different forum.

-Blast

I think it was a different forum.

#176621 - 07/16/09 06:08 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: dweste]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Walking.

It's the only way in NYC:

http://camworld.org/archives/001236.html

#176646 - 07/16/09 08:14 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Those pictures are amazing... and make it really hammer home how hard it would be evacuate such a large # of people in short amount of time (walking, driving, biking, train, etc!).

#176650 - 07/16/09 08:43 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Walking.

It's the only way in NYC:

http://camworld.org/archives/001236.html

Martin, you've mentioned many times that New York City officals are well prepared for a disaster, but what about the average person there? Have people learned from 9/11 and the blackouts that they should keep an emergency kit on hand?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176667 - 07/17/09 12:43 AM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: LoneWolf]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Not sure which you are thinking of. I got stuck without wheels for a week this January, and had to run my "walk out" drill nightly. I know we've had a few people write up after actions after such things, intentional or otherwise.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#176676 - 07/17/09 03:19 AM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: TeacherRO]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
In a 'situation' the first choice is often to drive home, failing that to ride ( L, Bus, subway) and then to walk.

These all require different mindsets, planning, equipment and time.

There are some things they have in common though, which you can prepare yourself for.

Your need to know how to get where you are going is one of those things. You can prepare yourself for that in a few ways.
You should have a map. It does not need to be the most expensive, even a cheap street map can help a lot.

Get familiar with landmarks in your city, you should be able to orient yourself by looking at the city skyline. It might not be exact but it certainly does not hurt.
(edit: magnetic compasses are shockingly inaccurate in cities, too much metal and electricity around them)

It would be good to be familiar with your city's grid system. Knowing which side of the streets are odd numbers and even, which direction the numbers get bigger or smaller in Here the numbers get bigger as you go north and go west, the last place started from the center of town and the numbers grew as you went farther away from the town center. Whether the street names are alphabetical order or not you should know too. (again, for orienting yourself without a compass)
These are all things that can help you not get lost.

Of course you should walk at least some of your route once if you can. You should also explore alternate routes.
The shortest way home on foot is likely not the same as the fastest way to drive home, and it is likely to change in an emergency.

Edited by scafool (07/17/09 03:23 AM)

#176681 - 07/17/09 05:56 AM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: scafool]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
You may be thinking of the story, "The Long Road Home."

I'm sure Google will get you to it.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 196 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.