Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#176092 - 07/12/09 04:12 PM Night vision gear
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Ok, I don't see this topic being discussed much so I thought I'd ask for some feedback.

I have little real experience with night vision equipment and it's not something I would place very highly on my priority list. Still, I've noticed lately there are some interesting devices in the $300-500 range on the market and it's given me some food for thought.

I understand that low cost night vision gear is all pretty much gen 1/1+ and not comparable to what serious operators use these days. However, that's fine with me. I cannot justify the $3000+ expense for a generation 2 device or better. But if I could get something in the lower price range that would actually allow me to find my way around the bush (with the potential of being handy in some less foreseeable situations) it would open up some interesting possibilities.

After some research I've been able to find two inexpensive monocular goggles that would apparently fit the bill more or less, ATN Viper and Yukon NVMT. They look similar and the reviews seem to be largely positive but then again, I don't trust online reviews too much. I'm still reluctant to make the purchase because I don't really know what kind of performance to expect. Like I said, I'd use night vision mostly for quiet nocturnal treks so there's no need for high magnification, super high resolution or long range, I could even live with having to use an IR illuminator. It's all good as long as it makes walking in the bush at night more convenient and doesn't instantly give you away like a 200 lumen flashlight.

Does anyone here have any experience with night vision equipment? I'd appreciate some advice and first-hand experience.

#176107 - 07/12/09 06:41 PM Re: Night vision gear [Re: Tom_L]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Most all of my knowledge comes from USGI issue stuff.

I have noticed most of the non-issue stuff is Russian, so make sure it will use standard batteries. Would not be much fun to have some insane battery size you can only purchase on-line from the former USSR stockpiles.

Try to get something that has a protection circuit for exposure to light. Nothing worse than someone turning on a light unexpectedly and blinding you. (Not to mention damage to the NV device.)

Work on your neck muscles and flexibility. The FOV on these things is VERY limited. You will be turning your head constantly. Also depth perception is seriously degraded. Don't walk into any trees, and really don't drive in it until you are adjusted (and kill the dash lights).

RIP OBG

#176128 - 07/13/09 12:16 AM Re: Night vision gear [Re: Desperado]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
As an aid to navigation NV equipment is of little use. Your normal night vision will do you fine, you just need practice to move around with confidence.

NV equipment will destroy your normal night vision, it also takes practice to move with nv equipment because you lose your perception of depth.

Lastly if you want to use nv equipment to be stealthy you have to realise that NV equipment leak light from the eyepiece and hum or whistle in operation.

#176130 - 07/13/09 12:22 AM Re: Night vision gear [Re: PureSurvival]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PureSurvival
As an aid to navigation NV equipment is of little use. Your normal night vision will do you fine, you just need practice to move around with confidence.

NV equipment will destroy your normal night vision, it also takes practice to move with nv equipment because you lose your perception of depth.

Lastly if you want to use nv equipment to be stealthy you have to realise that NV equipment leak light from the eyepiece and hum or whistle in operation.

...."hum and whistle in operation"....

What type of NVG's were you using?

Even the old as heck stuff that the National Guard had in 1992 AN/PVS-5) did not do that?

RIP OBG

#176132 - 07/13/09 12:29 AM Re: Night vision gear [Re: Desperado]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
lol my experience of the national guard stealth was never considered!

#176142 - 07/13/09 01:12 AM Re: Night vision gear [Re: PureSurvival]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
There's a little whine from the machine - electronics or something.

I'd say to consider one that had an on/off if it has the IR light. I bought a $150 from Big 5, and the (reddish) light is always on. In fact, when I cover the light, the goggles work for crap.

Try and see if you can test them for a few days before the sale is finalized. You may find that they're not as great as you're hoping. Or, maybe they are!

#176143 - 07/13/09 01:13 AM Re: Night vision gear [Re: PureSurvival]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Well then, maybe you will accept my previous experience as a scout/sniper and counter sniper in the 101st Airborne Division.

We had several different kinds of night vision devices, and I really don't remember complaining about humming or whistling.

Having been in combat in both a jungle and desert environment, I promise I would not have missed that little issue.

Now I will acknowledge the thermal imager on the old TOW missile system did produce some noise, so did the vehicle that carried it there. Kinda a wash, yes?

RIP OBG

#176172 - 07/13/09 03:01 AM Re: Night vision gear [Re: PureSurvival]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: PureSurvival

I have seen NV equipment used profitably for navigation on dim, hazy, overcast nights. Skies that looked entirely featureless to the naked eye where filled with identifiable stars when a low-light scope was used. Navigation lights on distant ships were not visible in the haze using the Mk1 eyeball but they were obvious in the scope.

I'm not saying that night-vision gear is essential. In many case I suspect people can get along well enough without it considering that NV gear can be expensive, bulky, heavy and it requires you carry batteries to feed it. Given a similar amount of money and weight/bulk allocation I think I could come up with at least a half dozen other things that could be put into a survival kit that are more likely to be immediately useful.

If your travels and habits mean your likely to be at sea at night looking for a particular buoy so you know where to turn; or there is some chance you may be charged with finding lost people at night in a wilderness then NV gear, particularly the near IR which shows body heat, may be just the thing.

It is also handy for figuring out what is thrashing through the brush around your camp without waking the entire camp by putting on a light show. Half the time if you use a flashlight the critter flees before you get a look. Leaving the identification a mystery. With low-light scope identification and observation are easy.

NV gear isn't often vital for most people but in a few situations it can allow you to do difficult things easily and occasionally allows you to accomplish thing that might be impossible otherwise.

#176179 - 07/13/09 03:51 AM Re: Night vision gear [Re: Art_in_FL]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My experience with civy NVG monoculars is battery drain and other than that its great to use in the backyard to scout coons and squirrels or show off to the visiting friends.

They weigh to much and take up to many batterys to be effective for anything else. You'd be better off getting a digicam with night vision at least you could tape what your looking at.

Not trying to be a debbie downer but if you have that kind of money to spend put it into a kick ass EDC, bug out kit or food stores.

#176187 - 07/13/09 05:18 AM Re: Night vision gear [Re: comms]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Maybe I should explain this a little more detail - I don't really NEED night vision goggles. I have done some hiking at night and while going by the naked eye alone is feasible only on a very bright night, a decent flashlight works just fine. The problem is, a flashlight instantly gives you away and makes the wildlife go crazy.

So if I had the option to buy a night vision device that would work to, say, 100 yards without much ambient light for a few hundred $ I'd definitely go for it. On the other hand, I sure as heck wouldn't want to blow my money on a toy just so I can play soldiers in the dark. Nor do I need a novelty item to collect dust.

Desperado, I value your response very highly due to your background. It has to be said however that the devices in my price range are all gen 1/1+. That's basically the Vietnam era technology, though somewhat improved and much more compact (what was it called back then, starlight scope or something like that IIRC). The AN/PVS-5 is gen 2 (gen 3 if upgraded) by comparison so the performance should be a lot better in theory.

Re: depth perception, that is one reason why I've been looking at a head-mounted monocular. Here you can see the two particular models that caught my attention:
http://www.atncorp.com/NightVisionBinocularsGoggles/ATNViper
http://www.nightvisionstore.com/Yukon%20NVMT%201x24%20Head%20Mount%20Kit%2024025.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.