Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#158273 - 12/14/08 03:23 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: Desperado]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Thanks, nothing too special though.
As for the fire starting when the ground is wet I donīt think this is a problem as long as the rod is not fully pressed down to the ground and the ferrocerium is partially exposed. If there is really some deeper mud you can make some stable area using whatever works - branches, something flat and solid from your survival kit, ... . Itīs not a good idea to make a fire directly on muddy ground anyway.
Nevertheless I have got some solutions on how to anchor the firesteel in order for it to be above the ground. I will send photos later.

#158278 - 12/14/08 03:59 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...break your arm/wrist and then please demonstrate..."

not broken, but my dominant arm is in a sling for a while, and i guarantee you that i could not use a fire steel. making a pbj sandwich was a struggle. opening a can of chili was impossible...

#158279 - 12/14/08 04:08 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
per a post earlier, watch out for the zipper.

RIP OBG

#158280 - 12/14/08 04:11 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
10-4...

#158317 - 12/14/08 01:44 PM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Another way is to bury the tip of your knife blade in a log, dirt or a drunk friend's wooden leg. Make sue the knife is fairly stable. Take your firesteel and draw it across the spine of the knife. See where the sparks go and place your tinder there.

I've done this many times demonstrating how to use a firesteel 1 handed to friends. With a bit of practice. it is easy to do.

#158320 - 12/14/08 01:57 PM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: Stu]
sodak Offline
Addict

That's a great idea, thanks!

#158463 - 12/15/08 09:16 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: BOD]
BOD Offline

Loc: paleotropics
I see now why I have incurred the ire of Doug and some others. I was puzzled and read back through my posts (see below)

When I said "I sure do which is why I wouldn't rely on it to start a fire in the bush or anywhere else. :)" it looks like I am refering to the Sparklite but I wasn't. I was responding to the previous post that somehow liked the internet and computers with the Sparklite and fire starting and the "it" refered to the laptop.

If you read on in my post I do say "I'm sure SparKlites are generally well made but not as reliable as a fire steel ...."

I am not saying that they are no good.

The point I was making is that the more manufacture that goes into a tool/machine the more chance of failure and the likelihood we will not be able to fix it so we should not rely on it solely but also on simple things that are less liable to damage and more likely to work.

In practice I carry a couple of lighters and a firesteel and knife and several tinders. I also carry in my head the knowledge to make fire in a couple of other ways.

As to being one handed it is something I am often concerned about as a solo walker in the jungle though my main concern is being one legged (Solution cut a staff before going in).

I practice bandaging the opposite arm/hand and I could use the firesteel single handed - tinder on bark base; firesteel into bundle;left knee on other side of firesteel; using tip of knife (emergency remember)scrape steel and spark onto tinder.

Not the same as the other method but it will do. Quite clever the other way.But I'd probably just use one of the lighters.

In fact I was quite impressed how well the company responded to the problem.

I practice and rely on both parts of this sites name - Equipped and Survive not just one.

Originally Posted By: BOD
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Originally Posted By: BOD
Too sophisticated a technology.

*looks around and whispers*
Uh, dude, you do realize you are saying that on the internet, probably using a computer that has more calculating power than all of pre-1980 world and more storage than the sum total of all printed texts in human history, assuming you optimize the file format.

I sure do which is why I wouldn't rely on it to start a fire in the bush or anywhere else. smile

And if I were in survival mode a pencil and notebook are more reliable than a laptop

There is no laptop or Blackberry in my BOB - only a cheap phone which uses little power.

I'm sure SparKlites are generally well made but not as reliable as a fire steel or a piece of flint or even bamboo.

#158472 - 12/15/08 02:23 PM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: raptor]
tranx Offline

Loc: Belgium
To Raptor: Thank you very much for your offer to buy it for me and send it to me. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to by my goods in a real shop (not online). Although, I might have to reconsider because not all things can be found locally, especially the "survival stuff".
To SBRaider: thanks for the info.

Thanks for the ideas on one handed use of firesteel.
I should go practising one handed firestarting (once I start masering it with both hands). Firestarting by an experienced outdoorsman looks deceptively simple.

#176551 - 07/16/09 05:07 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: tranx]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Resurrecting this old thread just to pass along a huge kudos to Mr. Oak Norton and Four Seasons Survival. One of my backup Spark Lites developed the same whitish-looking powder as the OP and the wheel failed to turn at all, in any direction (it is completely frozen stiff). This was a Spark Lite I had purchased about four or five years ago and has hardly been used. A quick e-mail to Mr. Norton and he has a replacement being sent out ASAP. Amazing customer service and a company willing to stand behind their products 110%.

#176552 - 07/16/09 05:49 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: cedfire]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
My blastmatch I was testing with broke too. Not even after that many uses.. the striker ripped out the of plastic, similar to what happened here.

To me sending a replacement is awesome but in a survival situation do you really want your equipment failing SO easily? NOPE. I won't be carrying a blastmatch.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 471 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.