Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#176463 - 07/15/09 01:06 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Grouch]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That is something I've taken into account. I work for a nationally known company in one of their large offices (10,000 employees). A major electric feed comes in right to the south of my neighborhood so we still have power when people elsewhere will be without. But the largeness of the company and such makes it be a possible target.
I used to carry a lot of gear in my truck so I could make it the 20 miles home, now I shifted most of that gear to home since its nothing to make it home. I now have a small old camper that I'm currently rebuilding the roof on sitting in my garage that will be ready to go at a moments notice. Plus exploring back roads so I know alternate routes and being outside the city's outerbelt help with that some.

#176482 - 07/15/09 03:30 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Eugene]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Eugene

I used to carry a lot of gear in my truck so I could make it the 20 miles home, now I shifted most of that gear to home since its nothing to make it home. I now have a small old camper that I'm currently rebuilding the roof on sitting in my garage that will be ready to go at a moments notice.

You're making an assumption you'll always be able to get home. Consider the possibility of other emergencies occuring that could prevent you from getting home (i.e. natural gas leak ). I would suspect that safety zones around such things would still be in place, even after an event of national significance (unless everyone is gone for one reason or another, which would most likely include you)

#176488 - 07/15/09 04:13 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: ki4buc]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wife is a stay at home mom, so her and both kids would be in the house so if I were trying to drive that way, I would try to convince the LEO I needed in to get them, or have her grab whatever will fit in her car and meet me someplace.
I'm close enough that I can see my office building out of the kids bedroom window so at worst case I walk around the side of the neighborhood and sneak through the woods if they are still in the house.

#176492 - 07/15/09 04:21 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Eugene]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
or have her grab whatever will fit in her car and meet me someplace.

You don't already have a meeting place set up? Dude, you need to get more paranoid!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176497 - 07/15/09 04:52 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Blast]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I have a 13 mile walk if I need to get home on foot, which Google tells me would take a little over 4 hours. This is assuming that I am uninjured and things aren't all hosed up (which they probably are, if I'm walking home from work).

I have gear in my EDC Bag to make that hike doable, even with an overnight or two tossed in. I can also use this gear to SIP at the office for a few days. More if they share their supplies with contractors...

#176499 - 07/15/09 05:17 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
or have her grab whatever will fit in her car and meet me someplace.

You don't already have a meeting place set up? Dude, you need to get more paranoid!

-Blast

Actually have more than one meeting place, I just was generalizing.

#176503 - 07/15/09 05:49 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Eugene]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Ah, a should have known better.
Well done, sir.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176547 - 07/16/09 02:59 AM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: TeacherRO]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
In a 'situation' the first choice is often to drive home, failing that to ride ( L, Bus, subway) and then to walk.

I think it's worthwhile to actually try hoofing it home from work to see what it's like.

I grew up in San Francisco and had my impressions of what constituted "close" and "far" inside the city. After spending years living in NYC and doing a LOT of walking, I eventually came back to San Francisco for a couple years. I had always thought that my work was "far" from our apartment. Mentally, I couldn't picture myself really trying to walk home because of my previous ideas about distance within the city. But one day, I tried it, and it wasn't bad at all. After that, I tried making it a point to walk home a couple days a week, mostly for exercise, but also to just be comfortable with walking all the way home. What seemed almost crazy before quickly became commonplace.

You may be pleasantly surprised by how do-able walking home could be. The biggest hurdle could just be mental. If something happens and there is gridlock, hoofing it could easily turn out to the be fastest way home. (Have comfortable shoes!) I've had a number of experiences stuck in traffic or trying to use public transit where in hindsight, I just wished that I had walked in that situation.

#176559 - 07/16/09 10:42 AM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Arney]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

WRT public transportation such as subway and/or bus. Are there any protocols in place for disasters where the bus or subway goes into lockdown and no one gets on or off and it goes to a "safe" place. Thats just somehting I could forsee happening, you evac work and try to get on a bus going toward your home and the bus gets orders to turn around and go the other way.

#176574 - 07/16/09 01:52 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Eugene]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I don't know how subway systems are intended to react during disasters - mostly I assume they'll stop until the track integrity can be checked and obstructions cleared, then if there is power they will continue to run (as long as there are train operators). I know in King County the objective is to keep buses running on the same basis, at least to finish their routes / shifts and clear a possible backlog of riders. I have heard their radio traffic after a snowstorm, buses get frequent radio comms telling them about road conditions ahead on their routes. Its just a variation on the tried and true adapt, improvise and overcome strategy. But it points to a pretty important thing about disasters: there is no secret protocol for how transit operators will react after an uncommon disaster, they will probably react pretty much like they do after common ones. I know of no credible strategy to return all buses to base, passengers be damned. If the buses are blocked by traffic, they're not going anywhere, and you should walk. Most times if the bus is running, it will get you there, eventually. But if the bus driver abandons his bus, something truly weird is underway, you should consider leaving the area too...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.