Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#176357 - 07/14/09 02:36 PM Re: Differences in Preparedness City By City [Re: Dagny]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Dagny,

Thanks for the link. I often travel to DC on business and I'll keep this info in my bag. I have to laugh though at the comment that they will set the timing of the traffic signals to speed traffic out of the city. As one who has spent countless hours trying to leave the city on New York Avenue at rush hour I would appreciate if they could time those singals every day!

And I'm sure that I-495 would work quite well as an evacuation parking lot. Oy.

Andy

#176361 - 07/14/09 03:20 PM Re: Differences in Preparedness City By City [Re: Andy]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
well I spent some time on the AZ Dept of Emer. Mgnmt. and didn't get much. Though I did print out the 50 mile Ingestion Pathway Zone for the Palo Verde nuke plant outside of town. I am juuuust outside it on the other side of town.

Will keep looking and contact my local SAR. Been thinking of joining them anyway.

#176384 - 07/14/09 06:50 PM Re: Differences in Preparedness City By City [Re: Lono]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In Chicago, prep means keeping an eye on the weather and having a really good jacket. Both heath and cold are issues.

#176410 - 07/14/09 10:56 PM Re: Differences in Preparedness City By City [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Central California. Economically challenged in good times. Many, many folks on various forms of public assistance - which would likely shut down at least for a while in an emergency. We also have every ethnic group and language imaginable and that can be counted on to make communications an incredible mess.

Did I mention that budget crises at the state, county, and city level have rsulted in reduced emergency service personnel with more cuts on the way? Or that our county's medical care is ranked at the bottom of the state in terms of quality?

I am afraid a major emergency would result in demand far exceeding capability here.

My strategy: plan to not be in this town for long if there is a major problem. Hopefully I can get my parents onto my sailboat and cast off for a cruise independent of shore events for an extended time - perhaps until we have evacuated the emergency zone.

#176479 - 07/15/09 03:24 PM Re: Differences in Preparedness City By City [Re: dweste]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: dweste

I am afraid a major emergency would result in demand far exceeding capability here.

... and politics have killed many Community Emergency Response Teams (C.E.R.T.) around the county because there was an unfounded fear that they would "take jobs" of "professionals" (professional only means full-time paid apparently).

Distributed Emergency Management. It's the only way now.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.