Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#176641 - 07/16/09 07:46 PM Re: Lost in bush for 11 days.... [Re: Todd W]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I seldom walk off the pavement without having enough equipment to keep me going for at least a week. I don't understand, with everything so lightweight these days, why folks don't carry any gear when they go out.

The Ritter PSK does offer a scalpel blade and the Sparklite, I always carry too many knives so I am glad I got the option of adding my own to the psk. But there is a mylar blanket in the kit which can be used for a shelter.
You don't have everything you need for any occasion, but I always carry a waterbottle in my pocket as well as a knife, a couple of lights and my Swedish fire steel. I'm the one you want to hike with when you fall into bad times. Chances are, I have it.

This guy can count his lucky stars, I hope he learns to either stay out of the bush or not go into it without gear.

Oh, and this is my emergency, Iron ration that I always take, in addition to my lunch: A pack of melba toast and two cans of Spam or Corned beef. That will hold you over for quite a while.

Edited by Tarzan (07/16/09 07:47 PM)

#176652 - 07/16/09 08:55 PM Re: Lost in bush for 11 days.... [Re: PureSurvival]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
His Dad's rollicked him.
His Mum's .......... him.
His Granny ......... him.
His Sister ......... him.
His Girlfriend ....... him.

Poor sod.

Surviving in the bush?
That's the easy bit.

Surviving the family?
Now that's a problem.... whistle grin

#176682 - 07/17/09 06:11 AM Re: Lost in bush for 11 days.... [Re: Tarzan]
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
Originally Posted By: Tarzan
Oh, and this is my emergency, Iron ration that I always take, in addition to my lunch: A pack of melba toast and two cans of Spam or Corned beef. That will hold you over for quite a while.

Mmm. Sounds like Dwarf Bread.

A

Edited by ame (07/17/09 06:12 AM)
Edit Reason: Hyperlink formatting

#176740 - 07/18/09 12:24 AM Re: Lost in bush for 11 days.... [Re: ame]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I don't know about dwarf bread, but it beats the anti-personnel crackers we used to get in C-rations

#177912 - 07/28/09 01:23 PM Re: Lost in bush for 11 days.... [Re: Tarzan]
Macgyver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Victoria Australia
This chap's story is rather amazing considering what usually happens to people who get lost in low temperatures and are ill equipped. He was lost for 12 days according to the official report over here, he left as most day hikers do over here , unfortunately with just a bottle of water and two rolls without much else and light cotton clothing. He pigged out on pizza the night before so that may have helped a bit, GRIN.

He told no one where he was going and walked alone. PLBs were available at the police station, but he didn't know that they were available I guess.

A ten km hike is not a major deal usually, the problems started when he lost the trail (not too hard over here in places) as it started to get dark. The trail is in a very wide canyon of sorts with the cliffs of the Blue Mountains towering above the valley on both sides. The sun can be lost pretty quick down there as the sun falls lower in the sky.

He says that he is smart, but has no common sense.... Considering even a cigarette lighter or signal mirror ..... or compass.....would have saved him days earlier than he was....... He ended up traveling 60 km over the 12 days and he was off trail, bush bashing for most of the time. After a day or so, realizing he was going in the wrong direction, he turned around and tried to find his way back. He did some smart things like improvising a shelter and eating some wild nuts, mind you, over here that can be a bit risky if you don't know what you are eating, he was lucky... He kept moving around during the night to keep warm which was pretty sensible as the temperatures were 1 degree above freezing and rather damp. It is pretty amazing that he survived, many others would have died easily.

As it was, he basically walked out, he was just a few kilometers from his starting point when he came across a few campers on a trail.

If he had said where he was going, he may have been found much earlier.

There will be more publicity for PLBs over here now and hopefully it will save a few people who would possibly die otherwise. It would have saved a bunch of money that was spent on this search, that is for sure.

Hopefully the publicity that he has gotten will serve as a warning to those overseas that if you come over here to go into the bush, you need to be prepared as you may not be as lucky as this guy.

Cheers,
Mac.

#177938 - 07/28/09 05:43 PM Re: Lost in bush for 11 days.... [Re: Macgyver]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
He didn't carry a lighter because he didn't smoke...

sigh...

#177949 - 07/28/09 07:22 PM Re: Lost in bush for 11 days.... [Re: Susan]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
He didn't carry a lighter because he didn't smoke...

sigh...

When I give talks these days and ask who has a lighter, it is very rare to have anyone hold their hand up. Mind you, I am generally talking to middle class and up, mostly white collar demographics, but, the days when nearly everyone carried a lighter are gone. Folks these days have to be taught to carry gear when they go out into the wilds (or stand a chance of ending up there inadvertently) that a generation ago they'd never leave the house without, a knife and lighter being two good examples.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#177952 - 07/28/09 07:43 PM Re: Lost in bush for 11 days.... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I guess I don't fit the demographic mold. Upper middle class white collar, and I always have a lighter with me or near enough to get my hands on immediately. Not just any lighter either, I carry lighters that I would bet my little finger on lighting the first time, every time.

Being a pyromaniac, being able to make fire on demand is just to darned important.

#178005 - 07/29/09 10:25 AM Re: Lost in bush for 11 days.... [Re: benjammin]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: benjammin
<snip.I carry lighters that I would bet my little finger on lighting the first time, every time.<snip>

Not trying to hijack this tread, but I would be interested in hearing about your choice of lighters. I carry a Zippo (nice on board supply of emergency tinder) and a cheap Mini Bic.

Craig.

#178012 - 07/29/09 12:43 PM Re: Lost in bush for 11 days.... [Re: celler]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Here's the sort of lighter I prefer. I have owned two in the past decade, and I paid $8 for the first one and $10 for the second, and I've never had either one fail me (I lost the first one in my move from Florida).

You can spend a lot more money and get one like the Brunton Helios that will work just as good as this. I do have various Bic and Zippo style lighters in my supplies and BOBs, but this is the only one I EDC on a regular basis.

Stormproof lighters

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.