Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#176434 - 07/15/09 02:36 AM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: 7point82]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida

Been there, done that, most often at the Tuolumne Meadows trailhead permit office. Perhaps the park employee needs to show up at the scheduled opening time, take down the names of those physically present at that time, using a numbered roster, and then randomly and openly draw numbers and issue permits to those whose number get drawn, until the quota is filled.

They could use any equivalent system, such as showing up with the proverbial hat and allowing those present at the time to draw from it, so long as it eliminates any advantage for early arrival, while granting everyone who shows up by the scheduled opening time an equal chance for a permit.

One problem is hiking partners and groups. Perhaps, they could issue permits to a hiking partner if one hiker's name is drawn, provided that both hikers are actually present. Showing up with a buddy or spouse, then only drawing one permit, is a real bummer. Groups are even more problematic. Larger parties really need to make advance reservations.

#176446 - 07/15/09 08:21 AM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: Jeff_M]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I'm curious, after you were denied permits that first day, did you try and get permits for the following day at that time? They let you get permits up to 24 hours in advance at the walk-in window. It's strange that you weren't able to get it three days in a row, that was either a really busy holiday weekend or you had some really bad luck.

As much as I hate permits for the outdoors, I think the system they are currently using is about as fair as it can be. 1/3 of the permits are available by reservation, so at least it gives out of towners a chance of being able to plan a trip without risk. 1/3 is also available by lottery, so anybody has a chance of winning. And the last 1/3 is walk-in so people who can't plan months ahead still have a small chance of being able to do the trip. I've thought about how it can be improved and I can't really think of any better way of doing it that would be fair to everyone.

#176656 - 07/16/09 10:18 PM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: ducktapeguy]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Yeah man three days and no permit. Just bad luck.

I'm not blaming the system. I think it is fair and the best we can come up with under circumstances. What bothers me are people grabbing 10 permits in one shot or the fact that even with "strict" rules of no camp outs outside the window people still do it. Just that mate. It just pisses me off when I get there at 4 am have a line of 4 guys ifo me that slept outside the window and first two grab all the permits.

Don't even get me started on speculations if they were local guides or not...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 349 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.