Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#206227 - 08/16/10 12:23 AM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: TANSTAF1]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Incredibly, where I live, ATT is by far the best data/voice network (I have both an iPhone and a Verizon backup phone, the iPhone works where the VZ phone won't. Sprint and TMobile don't work at all).

That said, I'm really liking the direction of the Android hardware and apps, and I'm really thinking about making the next phone an Android phone. If - and this is a big if - I get control over the os updates as I see fit.

#206255 - 08/16/10 12:44 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: MartinFocazio]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
If - and this is a big if - I get control over the os updates as I see fit.

The carriers control the updates, and they will always make them mandatory so as to be able to add or remove functionality at their discretion. One option is to simply root the phone (gain Administrator access). You will void your warranty and you won't get the benefit of automatic future updates, but if you are tech savvy you can control your own updates and even unlock features your carrier doesn't want you to have.

#206257 - 08/16/10 01:01 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: airballrad]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

i was going to say root as well, I rooted and updated and can prevent the carrier update if I want.

Rootinf doesn't necessiarialy void your warranty, they would have to proove rooting caused the issue, if you ever had an issue then just restore your backup.

#206260 - 08/16/10 01:38 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: airballrad]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: airballrad
One option is to simply root the phone (gain Administrator access).

I was looking into that too. According to articles like this one, Motorola has installed something called eFuse that detects user rooting and forces the phone into recovery mode. This is not as bad as bricking the phone, but still makes it almost useless.

I am sure, though, that there are Droid hackers... um, 'enthusiasts' wink who are working on defeating eFuse as we speak...

#206263 - 08/16/10 02:37 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
I am sure, though, that there are Droid hackers... um, 'enthusiasts' wink who are working on defeating eFuse as we speak...

Absolutely; and it's only a matter of time until they do. Note that this is a problem only on some of the newer devices. I have the original Droid, which is well-compromised at this point. I haven't rooted mine yet, but only because I haven't come across anything I want to do that calls for it. Yet. grin

I seem to recall there was even a recent court ruling to the effect that it is not illegal to root, jailbreak, or otherwise crack a smartphone's software, so the only real risk is damaging your phone in a way that the carrier will refuse to repair.

#206268 - 08/16/10 03:38 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: airballrad]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And so far its only the Motorola Droid X that has somehting to attempt to prevent root, part of the reason to switch to somehting like Android is the openness and Moto is getting a backlash of complaints due to it so they have reasons to not continue that practice. Other brands such as HTC/Samsung/etc so far haven't tried to prevent it.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.