Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#176239 - 07/13/09 03:51 PM What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found?
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Have those of you with one found any apps which would be useful before/during/after an emergency?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176252 - 07/13/09 04:56 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Blast]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
There's the Accuweather temperature thing. Could be useful in an emergency, but emits dangerous levels of boredom in peace time.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#176254 - 07/13/09 05:03 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Blast]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I have a free first aid book, several e-book readers with about 60 books, skype, several weather apps, and streaming public and emergency radio apps. The emergency radio app is like having a mini-scanner in the palm of your hand.

Got most of them free through the iPhone app store.

Edited by el_diabl0 (07/13/09 05:03 PM)

#176258 - 07/13/09 05:10 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Blast]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
The newest iPhone has a magnetic compass built in. It is not available in the first two because there is no magnetometer (i think thats it) within the unit.

I tested one this weekend, and had no complaints. (except I have the wrong iPhone)

All the other compass apps. require motion over the ground to use them and aren't really that great.

Weather.com and i.wund.com (Wunderground.com) are both apps. I use extensively to avoid getting blown away in storms when away from home.

RIP OBG

#176261 - 07/13/09 05:26 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Desperado]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I use my dingleberry to track the weather radar on the commute, that way I know if I have to pick a different train station because mine flooded (sigh, sounding like a broken record now).

This weekend I monitored the cells between Colorado Springs and South Denver on the way home, and was able to find a path between them without getting hammered. Now if I could just find a decent real time traffic channel that my dingleberry would keep up with, I'd be a happy boy.

#176269 - 07/13/09 06:00 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: ]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Aside from the Maps application, the only iPhone app I have that I think might be useful in an emergency is a free app called "GPS Ally" which simply shows your current location and allows you to email it easily (it emails it as a Google map link, using the current latitude & longitude). I figure if you ever get stuck somewhere, you can at least let someone know where you are (a SPOT-ish feature, I guess).

Of course, one other thing I've thought about is looking into some sort of backup power solution for the iPhone, otherwise it may only be useful for a short while if something ever did happen.

#176274 - 07/13/09 06:12 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: el_diabl0]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
streaming public and emergency radio apps. The emergency radio app is like having a mini-scanner in the palm of your hand.

Now that sounds awesome. More info (name, available cities, etc)?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176275 - 07/13/09 06:28 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Denis]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Denis
Aside from the Maps application, the only iPhone app I have that I think might be useful in an emergency is a free app called "GPS Ally" which simply shows your current location and allows you to email it easily (it emails it as a Google map link, using the current latitude & longitude). I figure if you ever get stuck somewhere, you can at least let someone know where you are (a SPOT-ish feature, I guess).

Of course, one other thing I've thought about is looking into some sort of backup power solution for the iPhone, otherwise it may only be useful for a short while if something ever did happen.

While not perfect, I use this.
incase power slider

RIP OBG

#176292 - 07/13/09 08:24 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: Desperado]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I'm a recent convert to a smart phone for personal use. (BlackBerry in my case.) I haven't run into many particularly fantastic applications yet but I have noticed that some web sites are FAR more smart phone friendly than others. Would it be too much of a hijack to ask folks to list mobile friendly web sites too?

The National Weather Service has a great mobile site with (relatively) high res radar loops and the like.

For web sites that aren't specifically designed for mobiles I find "Bolt" browser to be a great asset. Between the BBrowser and Bolt I feel that I have things covered pretty well.

#176296 - 07/13/09 09:04 PM Re: What iPhone/Smartphone apps have you found? [Re: 7point82]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I find the following useful in your context.

The camera is pretty good and can be used to document things.

There's a gas app that gives you locations and prices of gas stations.

The built in maps app is very good.

As is Accuweather.

I also downloaded a knots book and a pain free book that shows various PT exercises for things that might ail you.

All that and the ability to call, email and text...assuming there is service.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.