Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#176127 - 07/13/09 12:03 AM Urban Evacuation, and Lessons Learned
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Well,

I shall get the ball rolling...

I ran across a website more than a year ago devoted to one family's experiences with evacuating from Hurricane Katrina.

I feel it to be one of the best After Action Reviews (AAR) of a Katrina type evacuation situation.

This young man is smart enough to realize the need for humor inside the dire lessons he is passing along, and that is definitely a benefit to the reader. One example is his definition of "Monkey Butt".

If someone was in search of a DIY book on how to get ready to get out of town, this would be a really great start

Please spend the time to visit Listening to Katrina, it might help you in you prep for any "disaster".

RIP OBG

#176138 - 07/13/09 12:55 AM Re: Urban Evacuation, and Lessons Learned [Re: Desperado]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Thanks for the site/link I have not yet seen it! Looks like it will be a good read for sure.

#176154 - 07/13/09 01:40 AM Re: Urban Evacuation, and Lessons Learned [Re: Desperado]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
+10 to that website. It really helped me in preparing my family's disaster binder of important information. Vaccination records? Who would have thought to keep a copy of our children's vaccination records on hand?!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176156 - 07/13/09 02:01 AM Re: Urban Evacuation, and Lessons Learned [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What, medical records are not in blasts binder? I took your binder idea and used it. Each of us in my family has a small binder (clear report cover) with important papers in it. I used a business card holder and put in things like their Social Security card, dr and dentist business cards, etc. Then a copy of their medical records, church dedication and baptism records, latest bank statement, savings and 529 registers, etc.

#176185 - 07/13/09 04:30 AM Re: Urban Evacuation, and Lessons Learned [Re: Eugene]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Eugene
What, medical records are not in blasts binder? I took your binder idea and used it. Each of us in my family has a small binder (clear report cover) with important papers in it. I used a business card holder and put in things like their Social Security card, dr and dentist business cards, etc. Then a copy of their medical records, church dedication and baptism records, latest bank statement, savings and 529 registers, etc.

hold on...scribble, scribble, scribble, your talking to fast.

#176191 - 07/13/09 10:14 AM Re: Urban Evacuation, and Lessons Learned [Re: comms]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
It is a good website, well put together from a man talking from experience.

One thing i have always done since working in the international security industry is have my life tidied away. That means all my valuable paperwork stored in one place easy to get at in short notice or found by loved ones. I also made copies of everything and sent a set to my mother and brother. I still do this nowadays as a pdf file.

The reason i did (and still do this) was if i ended up getting killed it would lesson the stress to my family and loved ones whilst sorting out my affairs, everything is in one place and they have copies.

I had never really considered it as part of a disaster readiness plan until i read the above website last year but my plan was always to grab it if the SHTF.

My point is it has a use other than just in times of emergency and can really benefit and ease the stress to your loved ones if you are suddenly killed.

Edited by PureSurvival (07/13/09 02:02 PM)

#176193 - 07/13/09 10:26 AM Re: Urban Evacuation, and Lessons Learned [Re: comms]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: comms
Originally Posted By: Eugene

hold on...scribble, scribble, scribble, your talking to fast.

Yea, sometimes its hard to express yourself online between getting the kids ready for bed and doing the honeydos, anyway.
Blast had posted a long time about about hit survival binder and all the sutff in it, so of course when it didn't have something he needed I had to rib him about it.

I made 4 smaller binders, one for each family member, then put them in one larger one. So I bought a pack of report covers, a pack of business card holder pages and a box of sheet protectors. In each of the 4 report covers I put in a business card holder and a few sheet protectors. In that business card holder went the social security card, dr. business cards, etc. Then in the sheet protectors are things like the birth certificates, etc. These 4 go in one large binder then go in the top of the gun safe so if my house were to burn down they should survive. If we needed to bug out we open the safe and take those with us. Everything important is in one place. I keep a copy of bank statements and such, rotating them out, inventory spreadsheets and receipts, etc.

#176194 - 07/13/09 10:28 AM Re: Urban Evacuation, and Lessons Learned [Re: PureSurvival]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
My Mom (RIP) always had her "blue loose leaf binder" - all the important documents were in there. Bank statements, lists of accounts and passwords, Birth Certificates, wedding certificate, passports, car title etc. You know what else is in there? Certain documents that can't be replaced - The menu and invites to their wedding, the French Offical Birth records that go back like 7 generations. Dad's DD-214 (Hey vets - bet you didn't think of including that one in your documents, or did you?). Dad's Green Card (Old enough that it's actually GREEN!). Certain newspaper articles.

Reminds me that I really need to put mine in a binder - it's all in one file folder, but that is harder to deal with than a binder. I should put it in the same binder

One a non disaster but "I wish Mom had done one too", Dad wrote an autobiography about 10 years ago, which I've updated with an addendum - lots of interesting things there. Ever thing of writing one for your kids, or grandkids? N years from now, there will be things you no longer remember, and your family will LOVE seeing it
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#176195 - 07/13/09 10:32 AM Re: Urban Evacuation, and Lessons Learned [Re: KG2V]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
BTW PureSurvival
I see you've been a member for a few months, but have a small number of posts - in case no one said it - welcome! Pull up a seat, make yourself comfortable
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#176217 - 07/13/09 02:01 PM Re: Urban Evacuation, and Lessons Learned [Re: KG2V]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
Cheers for the welcome mate

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.