The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#175840 - 07/08/09 10:56 PM Canyons and PLBs
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I just got back from my trip down to Utah and managed to spend some time in tight canyons. I can use my map/compass pretty well but GPS is my primary nav tool. Just like every canyoneering book said no GPS signal in canyons for miles. That got me wonder... how would a PLB fare in such an environment? I'm all for walking a few steps (tired/injured) to get my signal but when I downloaded my waypoints I had 1.5 mile gaps.

#175842 - 07/08/09 11:26 PM Re: Canyons and PLBs [Re: Polak187]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
what your into is like alot of our outdoor "hobbys". like my solo canoeing you just have to accept the risks or find something else to do..i would assume a PLB would need some open sky to get a fix--not much in that great photo--

#175844 - 07/08/09 11:31 PM Re: Canyons and PLBs [Re: Polak187]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Question for you Matt, with the new GPS chip sets like the garmin etrex HCX for example, have you tried getting a location in the cannons to see if you can get a lock. The Fast Find 210 for example appears to have a better chip set and seems to acquire similar to my HCX, although I would like to see more test done if Doug gets the funding but I would probably venture to say if you can't get anything off a new gps set then the newer chip set plbs won't either. All the old PLBs more than likely not get one either. Now with Acr coming out with there new line, and the fast find 2x series and a possible Spot 2.0, I think the performance will get a lot better with time. In a canyon like that, depending on the walls, I wonder how high you would have to travel to get a fix. I know this will sound silly, but there are some divers that put a etrex in a otter box and attach a line to it and let it go to the surface to get a fix and then pull it back down, I wonder if you could do that with a small balloon and string, but you would have to carry around a small helium tank and hope that the wind doesn't get it.

I'm just trying to think of a way you could set off a PLB with a broken hip in a deep canyon and get a signal out. The rescue kite is definitely out. Hmmmm

#175845 - 07/08/09 11:45 PM Re: Canyons and PLBs [Re: Polak187]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Remember the radio segement of the PLB will still be transmitting. That will allow for notification without GPS fix. Eventually a combination of triangulation, and the trip plan you left with friends and authorities will complement each other to aid in your location. You did leave a trip plan, right?

RIP OBG

#175858 - 07/09/09 12:23 PM Re: Canyons and PLBs [Re: Desperado]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
While I lived in Alaska doing SAR I used to joke that helium baloon with a long copper filiment on a spool, Much like a fishing line. would be a great way to extend the range of a radio or cellphone in case of such emergencies.

Perhaps this is an idea for the invetors on this list.

#175865 - 07/09/09 12:54 PM Re: Canyons and PLBs [Re: Tyber]
HerbG Offline

The idea of using a hydrogen filled balloon to lift a wire antenna to extend radio range is neither far fetched nor new! It was used during and after World War 2 in the U.S. military's SCR-578 (Gibson Girl) emergency radio transmitter. The radio was packed as part of survival equipment in large aircraft and was intended to help in locating survivors of a crash. In addition to box kites, the radio kit included balloons, and hydrogen generators to raise a wire antenna. Probably not a practical idea for a backpacker but at least not completely impossible either.

http://www.questmasters.us/GIBSON_GIRL.html

http://www.wftw.nl/gibsongirl/gibsongirl.html

#175868 - 07/09/09 01:08 PM Re: Canyons and PLBs [Re: Polak187]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

While you may not get a GPS location (and I have no idea how that will work with the latest high sensitivity GPS chips in the new PLBs), our experience in testing is that the 5-watt 406 MHz signal will get out, bouncing off the walls, and that a alert and Doppler location will be provided. Combined with a good trip plan left with your emergency contacts or in the Additional Information field on the NOAA registration site, that should suffice to get you rescued.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#175884 - 07/09/09 08:33 PM Re: Canyons and PLBs [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Matt, I'd love to know which GPS you're using and if it has a later generation high sensitivity chip like the Garmin H series.

#175885 - 07/09/09 08:49 PM Re: Canyons and PLBs [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My gut tells me that the new Garmin chipset (eg., GPSMAP 60CSx) would receive GPS signals bouncing down those walls.

#175887 - 07/09/09 09:36 PM Re: Canyons and PLBs [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I'm using Vista Cx taht is about 3 years old... I don't think it has the New chip in it but than again I got married in october and had two choose between new Garmin gps or new pack and I got a new pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.