Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#175881 - 07/09/09 06:00 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: benjammin]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: benjammin

How about a pickup towing a trailer with two bikes on it? Then if traffic plugs up too much, at least you have a high speed alternative. If it gets too snarled, then foot traffic is almost always a final option.

Works for me! Finding a way to have a small bike trailer or 2 on the trailer with the bikes would be really great.

#175890 - 07/09/09 10:27 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
I would also add that as an emergency prep you may also want to get to know your neighbors better. If you live in a community where you can't trust at least a few folks after getting to know your neighbors, you may want to look for a new place to live. frown

After the DW and I moved into our new place we got to know our next door neighbor over a few drinks at a barbecue. It turned out he is a rescue swimmer and pilot survival instructor for the U.S. Coast Guard. He has taught me quite a bit and we have a great friendship now. I never would have known who he is if I didn't inquire beyond occasional greetings and small talk. smile

#175897 - 07/10/09 12:49 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Take a complete read of this website.
I don't remember where I found it, but it is spot on for your situation.

RIP OBG

#175901 - 07/10/09 01:09 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Loganenator]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Loganenator
I would also add that as an emergency prep you may also want to get to know your neighbors better.

Always a good plan. I know some of my neighbors quite well, others not so much. They all know my dog.

These are rowhouses, neighbors abound. For blocks. DC's population is highly transient.

I put the roof basket back on last night. It holds quite a lot.

:-)

#175912 - 07/10/09 07:43 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Loganenator]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
The DW and I don't own a car. Our bug out gear is touring bike ready and our multiple planned routes out of town include bike paths and roads compatible with bike travel. Our average travel speed on the road is around 18 - 20 mph. Our freeways around here are backed up daily at rush hour I would hate to be stuck on one of them during an emergency evacuation.

Not owning a car does not necessarily equal being unprepared. wink

I don't own a car and am a cyclist too. As a cyclist i think there are many advantages over cars.

I can happily cycle a 100 miles a day at around 20 mph and at a push can do a 200 mile day.
If on roads with traffic jams i can cut trough the traffic still doing 20mph.
I am not reliant on the range of the fuel tank and don't have to worry about empty gas stations.
I don't have to worry about the car breaking down or over heating, bikes are simple to look after.
I am not restricted to only roads, i can go across country and cycle through cordons and closed roads.
My fitness level is probably a lot higher than the average car owners fitness which equates to survival fitness and control of survival stresses.

Not owning a car definitely does not mean you are unprepared or that you cant look after yourself and that you are a burden on others.

#175913 - 07/10/09 10:02 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: PureSurvival]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
So there you go Dagny. The bicyclists here endorse you not fretting a bit about the neighbors you leave behind. They are well prepared with their chosen mode of transport.

#175914 - 07/10/09 10:11 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Loganenator]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I would also add that as an emergency prep you may also want to get to know your neighbors better. If you live in a community where you can't trust at least a few folks after getting to know your neighbors, you may want to look for a new place to live. frown

Yep, we moved in and started walking around meeting the neighbors. One was telling me about another neighbor into wooddorking like I am but to be careful because he has a lot of guns. So of course I now avoid that neighbor and talk to the gun owner/wooddroker more smile That same neighbor brough beer to a cookout with more kids than adults so the rest of the adults got to do nothing but keep the kids away from the beer for the reat of the time.

#175917 - 07/10/09 10:53 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Eugene]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
As others post, a motor vehicle though potentialy useful is not essiential, and in some cases a cycle might be preferable.

However everyone seems to be assuming a gasoline powered vehicle, would not diesel fuel be a better choice ?

Diesel fuel is much safer to store, and whilst I am not too keen on any fuel cans in a vehicle, diesel is far less of a risk.
Most diesel vehicles get better fuel mileage, thus a greater range from a given size tank.
Most diesel vehicles can in emergency run on kerosene or light heating oil, or cooking oil, which could be very valuable if regular fuel was not available.

For most natural disasters it might be best to stay put, provided of course that you live above flood level, have a strongly constructed home, and keep supplies for at least a week, and preferably for a month or more.

If you fear any release of radiation, then a geiger counter is essiential.
There is otherwise the risk of getting a greater dose stuck in a traffic jam, than would have been received staying indoors.

If you fear any release of toxic or noxious materials, then a good respirator helps to an extent.
Most toxic materials and chemical weapons are heavier than air, therefore in an urban area, the greatest safety might be achieved not by evavuation but by gaining access to the upper floors or roofs of tall buildings.

(makes me glad to work in a deep concrete basement, which is bomb and radiation resistant, but also have access to fresh air 10 floors up in case of any chemical incident)

#175918 - 07/10/09 11:21 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: adam2]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, bugging in is always a better option if it's viable. There are many unknowns that may be a higher threat once you leave home and join the masses hitting the road. If you can identify specific threats and make plans to deal with them rather than run from them it gives a bit more control IMO. That said, there may be specifics about Dagny's situation that dictate evac.

#175922 - 07/10/09 12:50 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
This has been a worthy mental exercise, thank you.

Because I'm smack in the middle of the city and there's no way I'd beat the crush without an hour heads-up before everyone else, I think the goal in such a scenario -- where sheltering-in is not the prudent option -- is to coordinate with neighbors on a caravan.

Something I do not have is a device to siphon gas and gas cans to put it in. I'd rather not risk sucking gas out with a piece of garden hose, which I recall my brother doing years ago to put gas in his motorcycle.

Some of these peops do have two cars. The second fuel supply would be more useful than dragging along a second car.

If things ever were so bad, I suspect the rural shall inherit the Earth.

Am now off to the Metro. Hopefully the train operator won't be texting....

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 406 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.