Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#175765 - 07/07/09 11:56 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some of those with bikes could make it out faster than the gridlocked cars.
I have a 4x4 truck with camper and bicycles so I'm prepared.

#175766 - 07/08/09 12:15 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: comms]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Rush hour traffic here is such a nightmare on a normal day it probably would be faster to walk or bike (but then you couldn't carry much). Could run out a full tank just trying to get out of the Beltway. So many drivers would run out of gas. Dreary prospect.

Certainly faster to Metro out of the city if the system was still functioning. Just depends on the situation. Natural disaster with warning. Natural or man-made disaster without warning. Can never really know how you'll react until something happens. Probably it will never be a situation that arises.

Interesting how some people -- Phillip -- are so harshly judgmental on me personally for posting a query to generate a discussion.

The topic is a variation on the age-old question around here in a shelter-in situation of prioritizing one's family's needs when neighbors, who you may or may not know, never gave a thought to preparedness may come knocking on the door. But situations are almost never that extreme so it's hypothetical.

Perhaps there will be a compromise and the neighbors can hold the dog food. As for someone to ride shotgun holding a shotgun, I don't actually know anyone in the city who has said they own a gun. Virginians are another story. The laws in DC are still pretty strict.

It's a bleak topic. Think I'll put the roof basket back on. That would open up a couple seats.

I have a couple of bikes, hitch rack and two bike trailers. Would pass out from exhaustion before the Beltway. And my bike probably would be jacked.

The more I think about how awful for so many a mass evacuation would be, I'm inclined to pray more for that need to never arise. In addition to topping off the gas tank just in case it did.

Edited by Dagny (07/08/09 12:21 AM)

#175768 - 07/08/09 12:26 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Should cities mandate that in a mass evacuation, each car contain at least three or four people?

Akin to the rush hour High Occupancy Vehicle requirements?

#175769 - 07/08/09 12:33 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Tom_L]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
An SUV may look cool and has plenty of space for survival gear but it's pretty much all show, no go. If 4WD is a real necessity an old school Toyota or Land Rover will beat an SUV any day.

My SUV is a Honda Element. It's actually shorter than an Accord, has little go and is widely regarded as ugly. But it is great in snow, for carrying camping gear, bikes and hairy dogs (no carpet). It certainly could not leap a guardrail.

Isn't a Land Rover an SUV?

Maybe I'll buy a motorcycle. And a sidecar for the dog.

#175772 - 07/08/09 01:29 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Yeah...old school Land Rovers and old school Toyota Land Cruisers tend to be the only SUV's I would trust.

Our potholes aren't that bad. If you detour off the freeway you'll end up in a cul de sac.

My neighbor with the Prius hybrid may have the best car for evacuating.

Wonder if she'd give me a lift....

Was just out for the evening dog walk. I couldn't leave behind neighbor pups.

I'll end up with a car full of dogs, their peops, and bags of kibble and greenies.

Edited by Dagny (07/08/09 01:31 AM)

#175782 - 07/08/09 06:57 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Dagny
In such a scenario, it has occured to me that it would be helpful to have someone riding shotgun, with a shotgun. In normal times, carjacking is commonplace here.

Great choice on the Honda Element BTW, I've never really heard a bad thing about it. Anyway, I was thinking about this hypothetical situation. While having a evac plan and proper protection is important, I think in a situation where you would need to possibly use (or brandish) a weapon to get out of town, the risks may be too great to be on the road at all. Lots of things can go wrong and those would be carjackers may have weapons too. I may be wrong, but if things were that bad, you'd need a minimum of a 2-3 vehicle convoy (with armed people) to have a chance of getting where you need to go. And then there's the realistic scenario of law enforcement covering some areas better than others. Not sure how they'd react to open carry, etc. There's so many serious unknowns that make evac unappealing, unless of course conditions at home give you no choice but but to leave. And in that case, leaving in a large group may be a better option. Sometimes there's safety in numbers.

#175783 - 07/08/09 07:22 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Isn't a Land Rover an SUV?

Good God (Sean Connery accent)! LOL

Technically, the good old Land Rover COULD be described as an SUV. But considering what SUV actually refers to these days (basically big fake show-off urban vehicles pretending to have some offroad capability) I wouldn't even use it in the same sentence.

#175786 - 07/08/09 11:38 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
"SUV" does not equal "off-road".

A Land Rover/Range Rover is an SUV, just as the Ford Expedition being driven daily by a typical soccer-mom is an SUV (as she looks down on you while passing). I wouldn't trust either off-road because they're dressed up with tires designed for the highway. By switching tires a Land Rover can very easily be turned to off-road use.

#175788 - 07/08/09 12:10 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
The more I think about how awful for so many a mass evacuation would be, I'm inclined to pray more for that need to never arise.

Having a front-row seat for the Great Houston Evacuation of Hurricane Rita, I have to agree with this. Over two million people tried to get out of the city, blocking roads for three days before the hurricane. Some observations:

1. Mayor Bill White did ask people to leave behind their material goods and take those without cars instead. Some people listened, some did not.
2. Most families here own two vehicles and took both, adding to the gridlock.
3. A bicycle would have been traveled faster than the cars, at least until you were run over by a crazy driver. People were racing down shoulders, through ditches, and anywhere else they thought they might possiblely get their vehicle through.
4. Thousands of cars here left in parking lots and along the sides of the freeways after they broke down, overheated, or were otherwise abandonned. These cars were then broken into and stripped.
5. If you have kids and pets there's no room for neighbors anyway.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#175791 - 07/08/09 12:29 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Land Rovers are quite popular in Australia, but not without serious modification. Most of the ones I saw in the hills there had mods equal to about 50% of the sticker price of the vehicle or more. The ones that didn't were broken. I'd say it takes more than a tire switch to make them more than an SUV.

As the saying goes, cash, grass or a$$, no one rides for free. This is especially so in a crisis situation. I have enough room for me and mine, anyone who wants watashi-wa to share better square up and pay the bounty with something I need or they walk.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.