Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#172678 - 05/04/09 02:39 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: Mike_H]
RifleWaters Offline
Stranger

Bug out bag. Try to take foods that do not take water to prepare, I see so many bug out
bags with things like, instant oatmeal, hot chocolate & soups. The water should be for
drinking & take vitamins & protein bars. I also take a bottle of fiber, not only is
fiber needed but it also swells for a full feeling. I came across what is called
Lifecaps. They are a capsule that has everything needed to survive without food with
the exception of water. It is full of vitamins & minerals plus Iodine. Anyway, you take
three of them a day & drink water. I can actually take enough food in one backpack to
last 6 months because of these little Lifecaps, protein bars, fiber & water. I will run
out of water in a week so I do carry a small filter & a couple of those straw water
filters that filter the water as you suck.
You do not always have the ability or time to heat water to make soup or oatmeal. Anyway,
after I bought 25 bottles I found a coupon code & bought 75 bottles more. The coupon code
is... healthcap It will get you 33% off. There are also sites that have those filter straws
that are cheaper than any of the stores around here. (SLC) I think they are a really good
idea along with some purification pills. I cannot remember the sites off the top of my head
but you can Google for aquamira filter straw. Aquamira is the manufacture but do not buy
off there site because I have found them for almost 1/2 what they want on their own site
on other sites. Good luck, Gods speed & get serious about your bug out bag!

#172688 - 05/04/09 04:51 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: RifleWaters]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I would have to disagree with your analysis of the potential benefit of these “Lifecaps” towards providing enough nutrition (along with protein bars and fiber) in a survival situation. The body is essential a biological machine, while vitamins and other supplements may assist in the running of the biological engine (like fuel additives); it is calories (fuel) that make the engine run. A combination of high-quick burring caloric and long-term caloric foods are necessary. The high-quick burning calories provide energy while engaged in high demand activities and for short term thwarting of hypothermia. The slower burning-long term calories provide energy in a slow steady state, so one does not experiences sudden crashes in energy levels.

Just my 2 cents:
Pete

#172696 - 05/04/09 05:23 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: UncleGoo]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
Originally Posted By: benjammin
TP is not a luxury item.

Amen.

In my experience, TP is just about the first thing to run out in the early hours or days in a disaster area. Being able to produce some from your personal stash will quickly elevate you to hero status. If you can come up with some Clorox wipes, etc., too, to make the inevitably overused and disgusting available toilets a little more bearable, the ladies will love you.

#172730 - 05/04/09 11:16 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: Jeff_M]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Being able to produce some from your personal stash will quickly elevate you to hero status...the ladies will love you.

If only I knew this back in high school!!! grin

#172731 - 05/04/09 11:23 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: RifleWaters]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*giggles* Lifecaps... Yeah... Good luck with that plan.

You've made three posts. All three mention Lifecaps. I smell miscellaneous, mechanically pig and chicken bits in gelatin.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#172800 - 05/06/09 01:48 AM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
IT'S PEOPLE! LIFE CAPS ARE PEOPLE!

No, seriously...I bet they are.

And now Blast has to wipe a mouthful of beer of his screen and keyboard.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#175410 - 06/29/09 03:16 AM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: Mike_H]
Grahund Offline
Stranger

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Based on the ideas on a similar thread from several months ago, I now carry a couple of maps in my wallet. Two sheets of waterproof paper, with local area maps front and back. Lots of addresses hand written in very small print in the margins. Totally illegible without glasses. Waterproof and after several months in my wallet, no signs of wear. The least useful part of the least useful map is folded to be on the outside.

I know how to get from A to B many different ways using my normal means of transport. After the Big One I'll likely be on foot and normal routes may be off limits for whatever reason. I could carry a GPS, but that's much harder to fit in my wallet. Not what I consider EDC.

#175423 - 06/29/09 01:23 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: Grahund]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Ben, consider carrying the small, blue plastic, "water purifier" straw sold by Brigade Quartermasters. What little review of it that is available on the internet is fairly positive. Coupled with a Survival Resources water bag, prefilter, and maybe water pure tabs of your choice, you can have a very lightweight and compact kit.

#175433 - 06/29/09 04:53 PM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: acropolis5]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I have two of those, but not in my EDC. Since 95% of my time is spent in urban, I carry enough water to get me to a reliable source/more equipment. I used to have one of the straws in my EDC, but that was back when work took me to remote locations.

Good call, though.

#175630 - 07/04/09 11:50 AM Re: EDC as 72 hour kit [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
As I recall, I have more than once made the claim that if castaway in the woods with a knife, I would work my butt off but I would survive and eventually thrive.

I like your thought/thinking Benjammin. My EDC can certainly help provide for my basic needs for 72 hours.

My EDC on the boat:

Mini-MagLight w/spare bulb

Halyard Clip on Belt w/Ball Cap

Belt Pouch w/Buck 110, Leatherman, 4 spare AA Batteries, Magnesium Fire Starter, Soapstone, Bic Lighter

In my Clothes: Bic Lighter, Magnifying Glass, Pocket Watch, Blood Stone, Ink Pen, Calendar Book, Bandanna, Comb, I.D. Wallet

The only item that I'm missing is some paracord.

Yes, in the woods, I've got enough to gety me through 72 hours of decent weather, somewhat comfortably, although I'd probably lose some weight.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.