The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#175520 - 07/01/09 01:10 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: Russ]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Thanks Russ. I've heard nothing but good things about the 60CSX in this and other forums, sounds worth a try.

#175522 - 07/01/09 01:36 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: sodak]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
I have an older model Garmin eTrex, I'm not impressed at all. Takes forever to get a lock, and light tree cover is too much for it. You carry it upright, and it loses the satellites.

Be glad it's not a comparable Magellan model. I've seen folks who bought a Magellan, ran into all the problems you just mentioned, only sometimes they couldn't even get anything near full functionality out of their units because the software was so crappy.

No brand is perfect but based on all the feedback I've heard, nothing comes close to Garmin.

#175525 - 07/01/09 01:58 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: sodak]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: sodak
I have an older model Garmin eTrex, I'm not impressed at all. Takes forever to get a lock, and light tree cover is too much for it. You carry it upright, and it loses the satellites.

I like their models, but I'll have to read a whole LOT of stellar reviews before I trust Garmin again.

There is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference between the older GPS chipsets and the new high sensitivity chipsets used by Garmin (and others).

Its really quite stunning. Quick locks and they can lock in with a very limited view of the sky - I've been able to get locks in the middle of the lower floor of my house!!

#175526 - 07/01/09 02:08 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What sold me was being inside an REI toward the back of the store under a solid roof and getting a lock. The only glass was at the front of the store about 20-25 yards. Not only did it lock but the location was close enough to call correct.

#175531 - 07/01/09 04:21 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: Russ]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
D'OH! I just remembered this morning while rustling through the center console in my car, I found the USB GPS receiver that came with Streets and Maps, and it uses the same chipset as the 60CSx, so until it proves otherwise I'll use that (with laptop) instead of getting a new $285 GPS. It had my mean elevation in my driveway correct, we'll see how it does with different places.

#175533 - 07/01/09 04:41 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: KenK]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: KenK

I like their models, but I'll have to read a whole LOT of stellar reviews before I trust Garmin again.

There is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference between the older GPS chipsets and the new high sensitivity chipsets used by Garmin (and others).

Its really quite stunning. Quick locks and they can lock in with a very limited view of the sky - I've been able to get locks in the middle of the lower floor of my house!!

+1. I have one of the older eTrex models and reception stinks in any conditions where I actually needed it. Mine got carried about twice and then left in a drawer. I have a couple of much newer Garmin GPS units and they should be embarrassed to wear the same name as the old one. Even my Garmin Nuvi 750 with no external antenna routinely gets a lock from inside my house. Any type of terrain or trees made my old eTrex worthless.

#175541 - 07/01/09 09:08 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: KenK]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: KenK

Impressive. I guess I'm so sour on Garmin I just don't want to give them any more money. Fool me once, and all that.

But I definitely need a new one. I might start looking around. CSX, you all say...

#175545 - 07/01/09 09:38 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: sodak]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

#176885 - 07/19/09 09:31 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Bringing this one back to discuss an incident with my 60CSx. On a trip to the east coast and it died. Not dead dead, just wouldn't receive any GPS sat signals. . . Hmmm. Emailed Garmin and they sent me to a menu I hadn't seen before that was showing software version 0.00 . . . Hmmm again.

20 minutes later I'd updated all the system software from Garmin's website using their Updater. When I took it outside I soon had lock on seven satellites with two more being processed -- working great again. I have no explanation for why it dumped software, but it was an easy fix.

#176898 - 07/19/09 11:49 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: Russ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Was your GPS satellite user fee paid and up-to-date?

Just kidding. Wow, rarely does it seem like a GPS problem can be fixed with a software update. Congratulations!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.