Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#175389 - 06/28/09 05:12 PM New GPS Device Suggestions.....
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I know I am probably about to kick over the fire ant hill, but here goes.......

I am in the market for a new hand held GPS. I would like to be able to mount it on my Harley Davidson, but the HD GPS is OUT, due to cost ($800.00) and not really a dual use platform.

I really don't mind putting out the cash for a really good unit, because it is also for work, and can be written off that way.

I will be using it for Hiking, Work, and M/C Travel, but not in cars. All the family vehicles have GPS built in or a portable unit, plus my work Toughbook has GPS in the truck to go with the mounted unit.

I have been looking at several Garmin units, and am somewhat interested in the Rhino line of products, as I may eventually get one for each family member and Rhino solves several issues at once. (Position, Position Reporting, Mapping, Communications)

Due to the variety of uses, I need topo as well as street maps.

Thanks,

EDIT: Compatibility with MS Streets and Trips would be a HUGE plus.

Edited by Desperado (06/28/09 06:55 PM)

RIP OBG

#175391 - 06/28/09 05:27 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Do most touch screens work well with gloves? When on the M/C, I always have leather or leather palmed gloves on.

RIP OBG

#175393 - 06/28/09 05:39 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: Desperado]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I`ve not been impressed with my Garmin's at all.

#175395 - 06/28/09 06:07 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: Todd W]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
I bought the Sanyo Easy Street w/ touch screen
really love it

BTW $99.00 @ Radio Shack

#175396 - 06/28/09 06:08 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: Todd W]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I've owned a Garmin Legend HCx for almost one year now and it has seen a fair bit of use, in the bush, on the road and as a navigation aid on my trips abroad. So far, it has met my expectations - it's a solid, reasonably priced unit, very versatile, expandable memory, whatnot. The receiver is pretty sensitive and reliable. The LCD screen is ok, could be a little bigger but that is the tradeoff you get with a compact design that fits easily in a pocket. I also appreciate the very long battery life plus it runs on commonly available AA batteries, which is a bonus.

I'd spent a lot of time and research before deciding on the Legend HCx unit but now I'm pretty much sure I made the best choice at the time. From what I've seen, no other major brand on the market comes close to Garmin once you take all the factors into account.

This is just my two cents. I'm no expert, I can only share my experience. Cost doesn't seem to be a major consideration to you (as it was to me) so you may be more inclined to look for a more expensive unit. There are plenty of products out there so picking the right one can get frustrating. IMO many technical specs don't matter all that much but the real priorities are the following: receiver sensitivity, intuitive interface, heavy-duty construction, battery life and expandable memory. In about that order of importance. Any extra features such as electronic compass or altimeter are optional and IME unnecessary (they also tend to drain the batteries faster). I feel many of the high-end units out there are a bit overloaded with bells and whistles. In that regard, spending more $ might not guarantee that much better actual performance in the field.

Good hunting and best of luck with your purchase!

#175401 - 06/28/09 09:01 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Magellan is the way to go from what I've read. I just haven't dropped the $ on one. I think I may soon though especially if we start backpacking more, would be fun to record our trip and plot on the computer smile

#175406 - 06/29/09 12:23 AM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Todd W
Magellan is the way to go from what I've read. I just haven't dropped the $ on one. I think I may soon though especially if we start backpacking more, would be fun to record our trip and plot on the computer smile

I do that for everything. It's extremely addictive.

I've done that with all my Garmin units -- GPS V, Geko 301, GPSMAP 60CSx and Nuvi 760. I'll stick w/ Garmin for compatibility with the software that's already on the computer.

#175408 - 06/29/09 02:00 AM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: Russ]
widget Offline
Addict

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx and have used it for road trips, backpacks and for some training outings. I have not had a single problem with the GPS or the software. I have the Street Navigator software, the 1:100,000 Topo package and the newer 1:24,000 of the SW states. All have been very usable. I have had the unit for at least 3 years.

I also have a Nuvi 255W with a touch screen for the autos and have not used it yet. I can see advantages to an auto unit for the car however, I would not trade my Map60Cx for any other model. I choose it over the CSx because I see no need for the electronic compass and the battery life was a little better on the Cx. I do not like the new touchscreen handhelds at all and can see no advantage with them. I prefer the positive function of buttons that do not need a screen change to implement.

Maybe I am old school, I don't like iPhones either:)

#175420 - 06/29/09 11:38 AM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: widget]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Huh, I've been using Garmins for a long time now - maybe 10 years or more - and I really like them ... and ALL of them still work like the day I got them.

Let's see, I have a Garmin GPS III+, a Gecko 201, a Gecko 301 (actually my son's), and my wonderful GPSMAP 60Sx.

My son still uses the III+ when he wants mapping.

The Geocache forum seems sold on Garmins, especially the 60CSx (not the latest fanciest GPS, but a rock solid performer that has yet to be equaled).

My recommendation is to get a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx or a 76CSx (the same "guts" - just a different form factor).

Ken K.

#175421 - 06/29/09 12:49 PM Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... [Re: KenK]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I should add that the Delorme units are getting more and more good reviews in the Geocache forum too. I have had NO experience with that unit so I can't comment on it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.