Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#175170 - 06/22/09 11:26 PM Re: need geek backup - Asus Aspire 1 WiFi issues [Re: Xterior]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
SSID hidden and WPA2 here as well. But manually configuring the MAC address.... yeah, I can do it. (Bloody well should be able to do it, computer engineering degree and way too many years in IT work.) But my roommate, not so much... I want her to be able to look for the access points, select ours and put in the PW if she has to, nothing more.

I've intentionally kept the set up on this KISS.

And yes, I made sure the silly thing was on.

Thanks guys. I'll give a couple of these ideas a try, then call Belkin.

EDIT: You know, it kinda says something when I post first here, then ZS, and then, after several hours, to technology forums. *grins*

Edited by ironraven (06/22/09 11:28 PM)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#175177 - 06/23/09 04:52 AM Re: need geek backup - Asus Aspire 1 WiFi issues [Re: ironraven]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
The laptop cannot SEE any wireless signals. So it's not MAC address filtering, or WEP/WPA, or anything like that. Those things may prevent him from connecting, but not from SEEING a signal.

Sounds like a flakey laptop to me, assuming the WiFi switch is "on" and so is the router. You might try rebooting the router also. I've seen some go brain-dead and stop with the WiFi part. However, the laptop IS running Windows, and I don't find Windows all that reliable (a separate discussion topic).

For additional troubleshooting, I'd boot the laptop with a Linux LiveCD. If you can get it to detect wireless signal under Linux, then you need to look closer at OS/driver issues when trying with Windows. I would try a Ubuntu LiveCD first, as this distro is more aimed at less experienced/less knowledgable users and thus tends to have better automatic hardware detection (but not always). Knoppix or SystemRescueCD would be good to try also. I haven't used Knoppix for quite a while, but it USED to have decent hardware detection ... I don't know how it stacks up these days however. I've had very good luck recently for many different hardware configurations using SystemRescueCD (based on Gentoo).

Edited by haertig (06/23/09 04:55 AM)

#175244 - 06/24/09 02:45 PM Re: need geek backup - Asus Aspire 1 WiFi issues [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
Originally Posted By: ame
Err, that's interesting and all, but nobody sets up their routers with MAC address filtering, and nobody needs to fiddle with the wireless settings on a stock Windows install (and certainly not on the Aspire One: I know because I have one).

So, really, it should Just Work (assuming it's switched on), and if it doesn't it's borked.

A

Yes, some people do set up the MAC address filtering in their routers. Ask me how I know. wink

I do it too... ;-)

#175250 - 06/24/09 04:14 PM Re: need geek backup - Asus Aspire 1 WiFi issues [Re: Mike_H]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is it using windows to manage the wireless or the software from the wifi card manufactuere. Someplace there is a checkbox for that and if you let windows manage the connections it does bad things. Microsoft designed windows to be end user proof and it will hop around between multiple wifi connections looking for a better/easier one and as a lot of people have found will hop off of a perfectly working one on to a non working one if the wind blows the right way. If your in an area where there might be multiple wifi access points then windows can hop around or connect to a secure one with the stongest signal and sit there and not be able to do anything.
Whatever model wifi nic is in the laptop should have a driver and utility download. install that driver and utility and tell windows to let the manufactuers software manage the wifi rather than windows, then use the signal strength meter than came with that utility to see if there is a connection and setup your ssid and such within that utility rather than in windows.

#175253 - 06/24/09 05:21 PM Re: need geek backup - Asus Aspire 1 WiFi issues [Re: ame]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: ame
Err, that's interesting and all, but nobody sets up their routers with MAC address filtering...

That's a pretty wide ranging blanket statement. It shows a lack of knowledge, not an excess of it.

While MAC filtering does not do much to enhance security, it is useful for other things. For example, I use it in conjunction with "Static DHCP" so that when one of our laptops tries to connect wirelessly (using DHCP) my router recognizes it by it's MAC address and always assigns it the same IP address (keeping the same IP is not guarranteed with standard DHCP).

This is a convenience measure so that our laptops function as if they have static IP's when connected to my network, but still are using DHCP so that they can easily connect on other networks. It is not a security measure since MAC addresses can be spoofed. I use WPA for security. However, I only have the required amount of IP addresses in my DHCP pool and they obviously can't be assigned twice, so this MAC filtering does provide a (small) roadblock for inept hackers. But that is only a side effect, not my main reason for using MAC filtering.

Of course, if the OP had setup something like I'm doing, then he would know about it and could troubleshoot it if it were part of his problem. But a blanket statement saying "nobody uses MAC filtering" is just plain silly.

#175265 - 06/24/09 11:27 PM update [Re: ironraven]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The laptop is fine.

The router is pooched. Came in after work, nothing attached to it was one, and every light was blinking. Much cussing. With the new one, HUZZAH! We can see the network from here.

Stupid router.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#175277 - 06/25/09 02:14 PM Re: update [Re: ironraven]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
The only, and I say ONLY routers I have had last more than a year are made by apple. (for both PC and MAC)

I now have everyone I know on Time Capsule type routers so there is also the internal backup.

When cash is no longer an issue, go MAC.

RIP OBG

#175279 - 06/25/09 03:20 PM Re: update [Re: Desperado]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Desperado
The only, and I say ONLY routers I have had last more than a year are made by apple. (for both PC and MAC)
When cash is no longer an issue, go MAC.

Don't buy the overrated MAC garbage, there are thousands of routers in use all over the world, hundreds of brand names and models that work just fine year after year.

#175289 - 06/25/09 05:58 PM Re: update [Re: Eugene]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Don't buy the overrated MAC garbage, there are thousands of routers in use all over the world, hundreds of brand names and models that work just fine year after year.

Apple have always been ahead of the field in innovative products;

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary

#175299 - 06/26/09 12:05 AM Re: update [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

saw that one before. It is funny though like when Apple copied the 3+ year old minibox to make the mac mini and all of a sudden it was new. Or there "revolutionary" web browser that came from Konqeror.
Unfortunately it seems that any computer related thread on forums gets derailed by someone who thinks apple is the be all end all even though there are much better systems out there. I was one one forum where a couple of us suggested trying Linux and a moderator deleted our posts and sent us pm's saying we need to apologize and not turn a windows thread into a linux thread. So after that in about a half dozen other windows threads when someone would post "buy a mac" I would call out that moderator who never did respond. I should have pm'ed him and asked why he would delete "try linux" and not "buy a mac" threads.
To get back on topic if you really want nice wireless the cisco aironet or Enterasys (formerly cabletron) is the top of the line.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 425 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.