The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#175056 - 06/19/09 03:18 PM Sean Hannity Show: surviving catastrophic events
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I caught this last night on FOX News. Its a 9 minute segment on how the survivalist mentality has infiltrated the urban consciousness.

I think a....fair piece. I did feel a like the people they focused on were a bit too energetic to want something to happen in order to test their preparation.

Neal Strauss is one of the people interviewed but also the NY director for the Office of Emergency Management.

FOX News segment video

#175060 - 06/19/09 04:55 PM Re: Sean Hannity Show: surviving catastrophic events [Re: comms]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
I think it's horrifying that the only times I hear about citizen preparedness in the media is when a right wing lunatic caters to his target audience.

P.S. Why is 0bama filtered to PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER., but Sean Hannity is not?

P.P.S. No offense to you personally, I watched the show myself.

Edited by Rodion (06/19/09 05:01 PM)

www.kravmagafederation.com

#175063 - 06/19/09 05:56 PM Re: Sean Hannity Show: surviving catastrophic events [Re: comms]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I also watch the show, I thought that it schould have been on a lower starter level than what was being taught concidering the type of people and the area. I also noticed when they said the guys bob was 100lbs. the pack he was carring could not hve weighted over 20lbs. All in all I liked the show as it was on a station that has a lot of viewers and I hope it will start people thinking of taking care of there own problems and not trust in FEMA or any outher outfit to pull there fat out of the fire. smile

#175064 - 06/19/09 06:19 PM Re: Sean Hannity Show: surviving catastrophic even [Re: Rodion]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Rodion
I think it's horrifying that the only times I hear about citizen preparedness in the media is when a right wing lunatic caters to his target audience.

One news network in the business that isn't left wing and you slam them for talking about preparedness? Come on, give me a break and go back to watching Keith Olbermann.

Edited by Grouch (06/19/09 06:19 PM)

#175065 - 06/19/09 06:47 PM Re: Sean Hannity Show: surviving catastrophic even [Re: Grouch]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

1. Sorry for bringing politics into this.

2. Good for Hannity. It doesn't matter where you learn, so long as you do.

3. I do watch Keith Olbermann and he's awesome. laugh

#175066 - 06/19/09 07:07 PM Re: Sean Hannity Show: surviving catastrophic events [Re: comms]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It just goes to show that even young attractive female television news reporters who aren't prepared could, in an emergency situation, end up at Mr Hannity's house and end up sharing his stash. sick

Another gem of information from this short news special is never, never ever ask any attractive female news reporters (or any other profession for that matter) to accompany you to your home or apartment so that you can show them your BOB. wink

#175073 - 06/20/09 02:02 AM Re: Sean Hannity Show: surviving catastrophic events [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
The one glaring problem was the "1 gallon of water per day" myth spouted by someone on there. I also, did notice that the guy's "100 lb bag" looked remarkably empty. I wasn't sure if they were trying to point out his EDC of his BOB. I am not too sure I know of anyone in an urban environment who could carry such a large bag everywhere all day.

Has anyone read that guy Strauss' book?

Edited by MoBOB (06/20/09 02:03 AM)
Edit Reason: Added question

#175075 - 06/20/09 01:06 PM Re: Sean Hannity Show: surviving catastrophic events [Re: MoBOB]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Has anyone read that guy Strauss' book?

I just finished it about 4 days ago.

He basically went around and took a little training with Tom Brown, Kevin "Mad Dog" McCLung, met Kurt Saxon and a few others, and then proceeded to write a book making fun of them and anyone else that prepares for anything.

80% of the book is taken up with his obsession to get a second citizenship so he can flee the USA in a disaster, while constantly blaming George W. Bush and anyone religious, for all the ills of the world, and gushing with praise for how much SomePolitician PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. will save us.

The rest is his attempts to get prepared and practice his newly learned skills, with some funny results.

In the end, he does obtain training and become an EMT and that gives him a whole new outlook and he does somewhat come around to the preparedness mindset.

If you looking for a book with advice about stuff, this one is not it, there is virtually no "how to" in it.

It is well written, I had trouble putting it down overall, but for anyone that is already into emergency preparedness, there isn't a lot there.

EDIT: Why is the forum software automatically changing the name of the current President to "Politician"???

Edited by Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp (06/20/09 01:09 PM)

#175076 - 06/20/09 01:42 PM Re: Sean Hannity Show: surviving catastrophic events [Re: MoBOB]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
The one glaring problem was the "1 gallon of water per day" myth spouted by someone on there.

Would you say that 1 gal per day per person is too much or not enough?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#175077 - 06/20/09 01:49 PM Re: Sean Hannity Show: surviving catastrophic events [Re: thseng]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

I would say it is evasive to check the "water" column of preparedness with "1 gallon per day". See, no normal person is going to stockpile dozens of gallons of water around the house + purifiers + filtration systems. So they just wave it off with the magic formula...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.