Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#175096 - 06/21/09 05:00 AM Re: Double cylinder deadbolt locks [Re: GoatMan]
kmk Offline
Stranger

interesting discussion but i would have to side with those who are against having such a lock for the reasons mentioned

#175123 - 06/22/09 03:05 AM Re: Double cylinder deadbolt locks [Re: kmk]
duckear Offline
Addict

I am biased since my dad sold locks for 25+ years.

Double cylinder all the way.

Getting out in an emergency? Smash the window near the door. After all, that is why you had to put in the DC.

An emergency key can be taped to the top of the door frame.

An added bonus, it slows down the bad guys from carting your stuff out the door. All the while the alarm is screaming.

Security is all about layers.

#175132 - 06/22/09 11:06 AM Re: Double cylinder deadbolt locks [Re: duckear]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: duckear
An added bonus, it slows down the bad guys from carting your stuff out the door. All the while the alarm is screaming.
Although not if the key is taped to the door.

It is a good point, though. I live alone so I'm much less bothered by escape issues. I keep an emergency key in a safe (that has a combination lock).

From what I've read, burglars will enter a house any way they can, including squeezing through narrow windows, or past broken glass (slowly and carefully so as to avoid leaving blood, which would be DNA evidence). Once in, the first thing they do is look for a way out. When they leave they may be in extreme hurry, or carrying stuff, so what they used as a way in may not be suitable as a way out. Having doors that don't need keys from the inside, or leaving keys on obvious hooks, makes life easier for them.

That said, I don't know how significant this is. I've not come across police reports of burglars giving up, or taking less stuff, because they couldn't get the door open to leave.

#175152 - 06/22/09 03:29 PM Re: Double cylinder deadbolt locks [Re: Brangdon]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Odd that this subject is still alive given what just happened at my residence over the weekend.

We were out of town for DW's grandfather's funeral. Seems the young man previously referred to as son#2 came by to visit (read steal), as he got wind we were out of town.

Well, he got in thru the dog door on back of the house, and was then greeted by both German Shepherds. Once the miscreant let his accomplice in the front, the GSD's the began disassembling him in the doorway. Neighbor across the street called the police and all were provided at least one nights free accommodations thanks to the local taxpayers.

I will be grilling steak for the dogs tonight..... The humans get hamburgers.

RIP OBG

#276275 - 08/19/15 04:15 PM Re: Double cylinder deadbolt locks [Re: GoatMan]
CannibalAnimal Offline
Stranger

As far as double sided deadbolt cylinders go I think you are spot on with your analysis. This article has a bunch of technical information that might inform you: URL removed by chaosmagnet

But if you are looking for an emotional appeal I would say that this is a bad idea. When you are locking a double sided deadbolt you have turned that door into a wall. If you are leaving that deadbolt open then what is the point of having it? Any door with a double cylinder is not an exit. If you can compensate your family's emergency plan to allow for safe egress in some other part of the home than I don't see a problem (other than making the children very aware that that is not a door they can use.

When I was younger (around seven years old) a friend and neighbor (same age) died in a fire. His body was found at their back door. That door had a double cylinder. They had apparently kept a spare key somewhere in the area around the door. In the confusion he could not find it and it cost him his life. This tragedy I think is preventable, but it is tricky. Where ever the fire is will determine what way you can go (if it is some other emergency that will also determine the way you can exit. With something like a front door it seems way too risky.

What I would suggest is a security door. I have a metal screen door. There is no window access to my locks, but if there was, unlocking one door would do a criminal little good. They would have to not only unlock it but then pull it open from outside. Then they would have to manipulate several other locks on another door. Security doors also allow you to keep a door open for air when you are awake and at home (gets a nice breeze).

Read that article and inform yourself, but I think a security door will be your best option. Also children can get use to opening all of those locks very quickly (normal door and security door) because they are using those doors every day. Be smart and be safe.

Edited by chaosmagnet (08/19/15 06:13 PM)
Edit Reason: thread necromancy plus marketing URL makes me think this may be forum spam

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.