Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#175061 - 06/19/09 05:03 PM Re: What about the survival blanket type sleeping bag? [Re: WolfBrother]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: WolfBrother
WB Edited to Specific:
Originally Posted By: Lono
We trialed it at an annual drill, and decided against. Not to be crass, but we thought the mylar blankets would end up best used as temporary body wraps, for corpses, which is what alot of disaster survivors might end up if this was their only shelter for a 40 degree night with rain.

If you would, specifically what happened?

What worked?

What didn't work?

With cold/rain was there a problem with conductive heat loss?

Hi WB,

As I recall we decided in favor of the yellow-type emergency blankets more common among EMTs at accident scenes, over the mylar space blanket things. The yellow emergency blankets are made of a layer or several layers of some type of fabric and may not be as good for heat loss, but they are mostly weather proof/resistant and they are in a generaly good supply. I know we split up a box of them that the local FD gave to us. I think the issue for space blankets just came in the comparison of ease of use - we pulled the yellow emergency blankets out of a dispenser box, and they were ready to place on the patient. The space blankets we needed to unfold, and while some may contend they are sturdier than all that, I know that when I was flinging a folded up space blanket and trying to open it up, I could tear it in two. The yellow emergency blankets also seemed to cover patients better, and there is not so much crinkling when covering and uncovering to access wounds, vitals etc. I don't know whether an injured patient could survive a night under a yellow emegency blanket, but it gave at least as good a vapor barrier as mylar, and was as resistant to wind.

Plus these were yellow, which might have played a role :-) Again, our choice was highly specific to our intended use, which may not arrive for years if ever. And the yellow emergency blankets ended up being free, whereas if we had to justify the dollars spent we might spend a few dollars per to buy them - I would, but anyone on a budget might make a different call. I don't think I would walk out into the woods with a yellow emergency blanket in my pack, but I wouldn't walk out with a space blanket either, not as long as I have an AMK bivvy.

Edited by Lono (06/19/09 05:05 PM)

#175068 - 06/19/09 07:24 PM Re: What about the survival blanket type sleeping bag? [Re: NobodySpecial]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: NobodySpecial
It seems to mainly be a UK thing that everyone carries a 'dalesman international' survival bag.
They are simply very large (sleeping bag size) very thick, orange plastic garbage bags. They fold down to a letter size * 1/4" thick package, are reusable and only cost around $5.

The plastic bags are intended to be used as an emergency shelter. They do work reasonably well. The bright orange also makes you very visible.

Contary to popular opinion, mylar blankets are worth carrying because they are very effective as a waterproofing layer for a shelter. You get a lot for a very small weight and pack size. They can also be used in a desert enviroment to improve protection from the sun.

Yes they are noisy. Too bad.
Better to loose a night's sleep as the price of being warm and dry. The alternative won't leave you in any fit state to complain. Ever.

#175099 - 06/21/09 05:06 AM Re: What about the survival blanket type sleeping bag? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
kmk Offline
Stranger

The AMK reusable ones are NICE. i just got one for my kit

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.