Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#174909 - 06/16/09 04:58 PM Re: Dehyration can catch up with you unawares [Re: Johno]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Another urine discoloration possibility: rhabdomyolysis with myoglobinuria. Muscle tissue destruction with excretion of muscle-iron moleculesin the urine. Dehydration plus exercise may cause this, and it in turn may cause kidney damage. Recently saw such in an aging jock who took a spinning class-resulting in incapacitating thigh cramps, discolored urine, and hospitalization for aggressive rehydration and monitoring of kidney function. happy ending, by the way. hydrate or die, and some of the deaths are prolonged, messy ones.

#175091 - 06/21/09 01:15 AM Re: Dehyration can catch up with you unawares [Re: nursemike]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Red urine is not always blood.

Red or pink urine
Despite its alarming appearance, red urine isn't necessarily serious. Causes include:

* Blood. The presence of red blood cells is the main reason urine turns red. Usually, bleeding isn't severe and occurs without other signs or symptoms. Factors that can cause urinary blood, known medically as hematuria, range from strenuous exercise, urinary tract infections and an enlarged prostate to kidney or bladder stones, kidney disease, and, occasionally, kidney cancer or bladder cancer.
* Foods. Beets, blackberries and mom's rhubarb pie can turn urine red or pink.
* Medications. Certain laxatives — Ex-lax is an example — can cause red urine. Prescription drugs that have the same effect include antipsychotics such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine) and thioridazine and the anesthetic propofol (Diprivan).
* Toxins. Chronic lead or mercury poisoning can cause urine to turn red. This may be the result of high levels of excreted porphyrins, the same pigments that discolor the urine of people who have porphyria.

#175129 - 06/22/09 04:21 AM Re: Dehyration can catch up with you unawares [Re: jshannon]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I agree with Mike. However if I can throw in one possibilty - They use anticoagulation catheters to take blood. If that particular catheter had excessive amounts of this, it could have "thinned his blood" on top of being dehydrated- on top of extra exersion ect... just a thought.

#175139 - 06/22/09 01:29 PM Re: Dehyration can catch up with you unawares [Re: paramedicpete]
red Offline

When I used to do chart reviews, I was always struck by how many patients were quite dehydrated when they finally arrived at the hospital.

But, for day to day living, research has determined that it's probably wisest to drink when your thirsty, and not ingest copious amounts "just to be sure".

However, while vigorously exercising (especially in the heat) dehydration can occur very quickly, so it is prudent to ingest water at regular intervals (i.e. sip the camelbak).

This forum has hashed and rehashed electrolyte replacement to death, but it does bear repeating how important it is to hydrate.

I get chills when I read the stories of desert travelers dying from dehydration/heat stroke with water still in their canteens.

As Doug says, store water in your stomach!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 240 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.