Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174537 - 06/08/09 12:55 PM Friggin' tornadoes
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, who knew? None of the local meteorologits got it right yesterday, but we got hit with 5 on the east side of town. Up to 3" hail as well. Thankfully where I was on the south end we didn't even see a drop of rain all day.

Unfortunately watching the news before I went to sleep last night, I ended up dreaming about it. Fun times...

Looks like this could be a tough summer for storms here. Still better than Florida, but still also not what I would prefer.

#174555 - 06/08/09 07:52 PM Re: Friggin' tornadoes [Re: benjammin]
sodak Offline
Addict

Went right by me as I was shopping in the Thornton Costco. I heard the hail on the roof, but not the tornado until I met the "door checkers" who told me all about it. Of course, it was "breaking news" for an extended news hour.

Slow day for news, I guess...

#174559 - 06/08/09 08:58 PM Re: Friggin' tornadoes [Re: sodak]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
How much time do you think the weather dudes would actually be able to give you? When I was living in Oklahoma the best they could do was about 12-15 minutes for actual development. You pretty much have to live the fact that any thunderstorm can turn into a supercell and ruin your day when you live in the Plains.

#174564 - 06/09/09 12:15 AM Re: Friggin' tornadoes [Re: MoBOB]
OilfieldCowboy Offline

Loc: WY/AK
Damn, more tornadoes in Denver? Last summer was nuts when two of them touched down in Laramie less then an hour apart from each other.

#174628 - 06/10/09 07:13 AM Re: Friggin' tornadoes [Re: OilfieldCowboy]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

If global warming is a reality, and many think it is, expect more of this. Much more.

#174630 - 06/10/09 09:12 AM Re: Friggin' tornadoes [Re: RobertRogers]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: RobertRogers
If global warming is a reality, and many think it is, expect more of this. Much more.

Against my better judgment...

Originally Posted By: RobertRogers
If global warming is a reality, and many of the uneducated masses think it is, expect more of this. Much more.

Fixed it for you.

I remember, being an earth science student in the 1980's, that global COOLING was the scare back then. But who really knows, one way or the other, when a single volcanic eruption puts out more greenhouse gases than all mankind over several years. (Not stopping to look up the data, but it's there. I'll edit when I stumble across it.)

Know and use your buzzwords - it's climate CHANGE. That brings in the grant money.

Oh, and regardless of the pendulum swing, RobertRogers is all over it - expect more of this. Never hurts to be prepared.

#174631 - 06/10/09 09:50 AM Re: Friggin' tornadoes [Re: yelp]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I remember, being an earth science student in the 1980's, that global COOLING was the scare back then. But who really knows, one way or the other, when a single volcanic eruption puts out more greenhouse gases than all mankind over several years. (Not stopping to look up the data, but it's there. I'll edit when I stumble across it.)

I thought it was the highly IR reflective sulfate aerosols high in the troposphere due to sulfur dixoide released by volcanoes which cause cooling rather than heating.

http://asd-www.larc.nasa.gov/SOLAR/learning-volcano.html

As for cooling period during the late 1960s early 1970s I thought it was Project Starfish which caused that.

#174654 - 06/10/09 03:59 PM Re: Friggin' tornadoes [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

According to the more tenured residents in this area, this is more typical of the weather they remember from 20+ years ago. Apparently there was this drought on here for a while, and now it seems it may be ending.

6 more tornadoes sighted northeast of town yesterday. I guess this is a harbinger for my summer, once again. Fortunately the old timers tell me that where I am living (south central from Denver) experiences much less adverse weather than surrounding areas. I can live with that, although getting there from downtown still poses some issues. We're not sure yet if the folks that drive the trains are smart enough to know to stop the train before it intersects the bad juju.

#174670 - 06/11/09 12:19 AM Re: Friggin' tornadoes [Re: benjammin]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Having lived all along the Front Range and now in Cheyenne for the last 40 years - The last 5 years have been getting worse every year for severe weather. We have been tracking storms and torados for the last 2 weeks. As far as the south part of Denver - you are in a good spot. Get up around Greeley and Cheyenne (where I am), the weather is pretty rough all the time. It has something to do with the way the mountain ranges direct the wind / moisture.

#174740 - 06/12/09 01:58 PM Re: Friggin' tornadoes [Re: epirider]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yep, I saw more of the same yesterday. I got blown off the hills west of Sedalia (SW of Denver) about 1:00 pm. Quick moving nasty little cell that pounded on Parker and dumped lots of hail and lightning. It skirted just south of our house, so once it passed far enough east I beat feet home.

Not showing any signs this pattern will change anytime soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.