The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#174608 - 06/09/09 08:03 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: comms]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I am shuddering at the number of assumptions you are making. When you are hurt every place is a long ways off. Please reconsider the PLB rental/purchase options.

#174611 - 06/09/09 10:19 PM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: comms]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I still like the SPOT, I can check in regularly and send myself my camp locations for later reference on Google Satellite Imagery.
boreal.net

#174615 - 06/10/09 12:56 AM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: BruceZed]
elgecko Offline
Stranger

Loc: SE PA
Looks and sounds like a great time.

I've always solo canoed and hiked for years....

Late last year I started to plan for a dream I've had for 18 years now; to paddle the Everglades. I had this thought the first time I visited back in 1991. Now it's seems it going to come true in November this year. Already have my vacation scheduled at work. :-)
I'm planning a total of 17 days of a back-county canoe trip in the Okefenokee (3 days) and rest in the Everglades. Of course the wife is not so sure of this as I will be going solo like I usually do.
She got me thinking. What would happen when I'm on my own and get into trouble? Not just the Everglades trip, but even the day hikes I do.
That's how I stumped onto this site. I've learned a lot here from everyone and want to say thanks. My gear I carry has changed so I'm better prepared. I even have kits in the car which I never had before.
Anyway, I researched PLB's and the Spot. When reading reviews for the Spot I was very confused since many people said it was junk and others said it was great. I ended up with the Spot. They had a special a while ago where you could get the device for free with service and tracking. Sounded like a great deal to me.
I'm extremely happy with the Spot. Lets me let the wife and family know all is well and my location when I'm out on my many trips.
I'm also thinking of renting a PLB when I take my Everglades trip. You just never know.
I would strongly suggest looking into getting one of the devices.

#174618 - 06/10/09 02:02 AM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: elgecko]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Allow me to offer a dissenting voice.

Almost all of trips I've ever done, the majority of them solo, were before cell phone coverage and PLBs and sat phones were available to the average mortal. Yet, by the grace of God, I am still here.

There is something essential in cutting the apron strings to 'mommy,' the nervous and fearful technological communities we live in. I think more than ever we need the tonic of true wilderness. We are more deeply alive there; you can't buy this at the mall, or the pharmacy. It is, reliably, a peak experience, a succession of personal Everests. But you have to earn it, to immerse in the solitude of wild country.

Yes, there are risks; but these are counterbalanced by preparation and judgement and experience.

So I'm putting my money on Canoedogs, with every confidence he will report in later with an internal radiance and poise that is palpable.

P.S., Can I come along? Pretty please?

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/10/09 02:03 AM)

#174620 - 06/10/09 05:06 AM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: dougwalkabout]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Sounds like great fun. Just take care.

#174634 - 06/10/09 11:03 AM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: aloha]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Would love to go and do that too!

When I was younger, I probably wouldn't take a PLB either... As dougwalkabout said, there is just something nice about being completely cut off.

But, now that I have a young son, would I really want to risk it? Easy enough to rent a PLB for extra safety. No sense in taking uneccessary risks...

#174636 - 06/10/09 11:13 AM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: Mike_H]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Canoedogs clearly has done this before, based on his comments above and other posts of his I recall reading. Obviously, his chances of doing what he described are both pretty darn good and a lot better than mine. Still, I'd take a PLB.

A lot of things can go wrong; a twisted or broken ankle, simply getting ill, or otherwise somehow getting immobilized. The PLB is insurance. We don't think most things for which we are insured will ever happen, but we are insured all the same.

#174637 - 06/10/09 11:16 AM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: dougwalkabout]
NAro Online   content
Addict

Quote:
There is something essential in cutting the apron strings to 'mommy,'

Dougwalkabout, here's my problem: I agree in principle with your position to cut the "apron strings". For many years my wilderness adventures were just as you describe.

Now due to age and medical contitions I have these choices: 1) take a bit less ambitious but still adventure vacations, but plan for emergency contact and assistance if necessary (as long as I can do so without endangering anyone). or... 2) give up the joy of such adventures and stay at home. I elect to go. To take any modern technology I can afford to connect with emergency service providers, rescue insurance, etc.

#174640 - 06/10/09 11:47 AM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: dougwalkabout]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
No offense - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I just don't buy your notion that one has to get away from the evils of technology & society and venture out into the wilderness naked and alone.

Technologies exist to easily increase comfort and dramatically reduce risk without damaging the experience.

Modern composite-skinned canoes allow us to travel on waterways and carry canoes with relative ease.

Magnetic compasses provide direction and assist with navigation.

Modern maps provide an amazing amount of information the area.

Polyester & Nylon flies & tents provide shelter from rain & biting insects.

Synthetic insulation provides light weight sleeping bags that help keep us warm at night.

Filters provide water that is safe to drink.

A GPS can guide the weak and confused back to safety.

If something far short of the worst happens a PLB will bring help.

I choose not to face nature naked and at her mercy. Rather, I come EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE.

Sorry, had to do the commercial there, but isn't that the entire point of this web site??? Isn't that kind of like sitting in Wrigley Field watching the Cubs (win or lose) and saying "I hate baseball"???? If you hate baseball, why even be there??

#174642 - 06/10/09 11:54 AM Re: My Only Survival Issue [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Remember and keep an eye out for the Minnesota Sasquatch. Even if you don't see one you'll know instinctively there is one around. The trick is not to panic when you feel yourself being observed (the little hairs on the back of the neck are a good sign something is watching) from the woods and when you hear the crunching sound of broken twigs together with the musty smell of fear around your camp during the middle of the moonless night. If you do come face to face, throw the Sasquatch your toothpaste tube and make a quick retreat. Otherwise you should be fine. wink

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.