The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#174606 - 06/09/09 07:45 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: Blast]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I haven't seen the show, but I saw one inch nylon webbing used for this. The center is laid outside the wraps, and the ends are tucked underneath. The diagram doesn't show it, but the ends are tied down near the centerpoint of the webbing.

Attachments
YukonPack.jpg

#174610 - 06/09/09 08:46 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: UncleGoo]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Uncle Goo,

Okay, I see how that works. Hmmm, I think I (and by "I" I mean the DW) could sew up some sort of adjustable, compression-strap system out of webing that could wrap around the parcel.

Thanks!
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#174652 - 06/10/09 03:50 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I would be far more interested in the hip strap. I would desperately prefer not to have to carry the load (70 lbs) on my shoulders for a 3 to 6 mile hike on rugged terrain! A decent hip belt would be far better. I did not see any of the packs on the show with a hip strap. Ugh.

I thought the end of the show was fairly anti-climactic. Basically they break out of the wilderness into a summer camp next to a railroad and that's it? What about a post adventure synopsis interview? I bet the gal that quit on the day before they finished the trip was pretty disappointed with herself. Their last meal was a family of squirrels. You'd have thought that the producers would have at least left them something special. Oh well, I guess suffering through 28 days of survival and then getting back to civilization is reward enough.

#174700 - 06/11/09 04:04 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: benjammin]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I would suspect, and maybe I am wrong, that there will be a final episode to discuss what they went through and get everyone together one more time. Discovery Channel is pretty good with that stuff. There is one next week for the wrap up on Deadliest Catch which was one the hour before.

I believe with the show Les Stroud did, though different format, also did a follow up show.

I was also a bit disappointed in the finale. I came to the conclusion that somehow information was passed to the players through the film crew or a producer over the course of the show.

WHY do I think this?

They did not get to set the time of their stay in shelters. So either it was a note we did not see, included with the map or someone told them they could only stay a two days or whatever.

When the bear guide showed up the first time, it was technically the first person they had seen in a couple weeks aside from the show crew. I believe that the players if they had not met the guide in their training at least knew to expect him. The second time he showed up, I don't know, the way they acted leads me to believe maybe they did not expect him again.

After following the map for as long as they did between shelters with little deviation, to suddenly stop at a railroad track seems suspicious and wait for a train seemed odd. It leads me to believe that they were counseled to stick around.

#174744 - 06/12/09 02:49 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: comms]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: comms

After following the map for as long as they did between shelters with little deviation, to suddenly stop at a railroad track seems suspicious and wait for a train seemed odd. It leads me to believe that they were counseled to stick around.

I agree that this was inconsistent. For that show their mission became to get rescued by finding civilization.

Previous episodes was all about surviving rather than being rescued. Moving from places of good, known, shelter to places of unknown resources on command isn't a good way to survive.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 407 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.