The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#173133 - 05/11/09 05:40 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: benjammin]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
They did give them some rudimentary training.

However I can't help but wonder if the timetables, locations, and time of year doesn't work against them as opposed to someone in a real survival situation. The participants are required to move on a set schedule. Even if they aren't ready, i.e. better nourished, rested, and repaired.

Given the time of year, how much game is actually available? Is there enough to provide adequate calories? Before they can learn the ways of a given location, before they learn the game trails, types of game available, etc, they have to move to a new place.

How realistic is that? Ideally, in that survival situation, you might stay in one place to accumulate adequate food stuffs, get rested, and work out all your problems before moving on. They are forced into actions dictated by those in an office somewhere, not by common-sense decisions made on the ground.

The timetable thing is what bothers me the most.

Tom A.

#173135 - 05/11/09 06:22 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: KenK]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I caught several episodes. Interesting show. I don't think an unequal distribution of food would fly in a similar but real situation, though. How would it be decided? People all have different metabolic requirements, and an equal split is likely to be the default position that causes the least discord. The group dynamics ought to get more interesting as the stresses crank up.

#173136 - 05/11/09 06:23 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: TomApple]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
If they'd had enough gun to harvest a bear, the food problems would have been a lot smaller. But as mentioned, the timetable would have worked against them.

The taking of a bear would be very dangerous if attempted with anything less than a 155mm howitzer. Which is probably why they didn't have enough gun and were likely told how (not)to deal with bears in great detail.

#173138 - 05/11/09 06:49 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: unimogbert]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
The new gun that they just recently aquired would actualy do OK against a bear. NOT GREAT, but OK.

I have to agree with the statment about the time table. The Producers or "experts" in this show are pushing them too fast.. Had I been on the show I would have stopped at the mossy cabbin and fed everone and rested longer to get everyones strength back up.

At the risk of ticking someone off, I have to add that I would have poched the beaver.. Is it illigal? YES, but when it comes between me living and following the poching laws, sorry. Though I will have to add that I am sure the camera people being around and the fact that they are not truly surviving makes it a bit larger of a legal issue.. though I still would have taken the meat.

I watch this show, though sometimes I feel like I am watching a train wreck in slow motion. I like it becouse I like to ask myself, "what woudl I do" or, "Could I realy handel that" and if I say no to something, or "i dont' know" I answer that question or strive to be better at what I would be lacking.

#173139 - 05/11/09 06:56 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Watching them struggle as much as they did is a big plus for advertising to the gen pop that the average joe is not at all prepared to face the wilderness, even when they can equip themselves quite well and get a lot of help along the way.

Tinfoil hat time: remember in the movie "The Truman Show" when Jim Carrey decides he wants to see the world? The travel agency was filled with posters and pamphlets about all the terrible things that would happen to him if he left the small town. eek

Maybe this show and others like it are trying to scare people out of the woods or something...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#173140 - 05/11/09 07:06 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: Blast]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I think we all can agree half the battle is knowing what to take with the other half knowing how to use what you took. And a fair amount of improvisation is always good too.

I watched some of the show yesterday, I think it was a marathon or somesuch thing. Hmmm... the shotgun won't work because it is dirty or broken. I never saw anyone trying to clean it, altho I saw one guy cussing it out. Yeah, that helped a lot.

Something else you should consider: any group is only as smart as the dumbest person there. Groups tend to dumb down to some extent. I know I wouldn't want to go the weeds with these clowns. They spend more energy talking about what they should do than doing it.

And they said these people recieved some training beforehand? Yikes. Pretty damn scarey.

Edited by JBMat (05/11/09 07:06 PM)

#173141 - 05/11/09 07:07 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: Blast]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
That is exactly why I stay in my living room and watch the Discover Channel.

I heard it rained the other day ... yuck!

grin

#173159 - 05/12/09 12:00 AM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: KenK]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
Just caught up on all the episodes this past weekend after reading of it here. Very good TV in my opinion.

#173164 - 05/12/09 12:52 AM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: kevingg]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
the biggest thing i'm seeing with this group is the supermarket mentality when it comes to hunting. they bag one critter and then turn back. they should stay out until they have enough for everyone. Or if they catch something big, like the porcupine, send two people back with it and the rest keep hunting. I'm not saying they should strip-mine the place, but they definitely need to be a bit more aggressive about food.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#173181 - 05/12/09 02:06 PM Re: The Alaskan Experiment [Re: Erik_B]
HerbG Offline

I've found the show interesting, but not exactly compelling television. I wonder about the
"training" they received before the show started.

Also, does anybody recognize what kind of combination gun they are using?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 394 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.