Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1743 - 09/20/01 06:57 PM survival approach
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been thinking some about safety and survival, looking at homepages and survial kits with a million difften small tings all smashed together in a littel container box or something. it does not feel very practical and realistic to both carry at all times and in totaly diffrent souroundings and situatiations. It seems that the most important thing gets lost in the ocean of THINGS and MONEY and unrealistc ideas(to me that is). A person may in one day move from a modern home to a workplace or school and then in to the urban city and then to the woods or wherever. Priority must be a keyword HARD priority one can not carry everything one might need and carry it all at the same time. Pleace help me i'm trying to get the BASIC priorities of safety and survival staight! Key words Simplicity, Low weight, Basicality, wide-range use. And one important thing i would like to become a topic of debate! is some principels and knowledges of knowing where in lies the dangers? where to be and where not to be! what to choose and what not to. for example one strategy for survival could be not to sitt in the drivers seat of a motor veical a, where should one like to be in a car a plane a buss?, on the street in a building and when!!! Thanks <br><br>

#1744 - 09/20/01 07:34 PM Re: survival approach
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Focus,there are plenty of catchphrases, time worn homilies and philosophies one could throw out on the subject. I like my own version of KISS - keep survival simple. We are so cocooned with 'stuff' We lose sight of whats truly essential. The artificial comfort level in my home is decadent compared to what I enjoy, what I need when outdoors. The minimal gear is just that, minimal, a lifejacket not a cruise ship. Observe how professionals behave in public;police, emts, bodyguards. For instance, three guys are in a truck. Who's the real cowboy? The one in the middle. He doesn't have to drive, get out to open gates and controls the radio. <br><br>

#1745 - 09/21/01 01:59 PM Re: survival approach
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris mentioned KISS, keep it simple. <br><br>As mentioned, gear is handy, but knowledge more portable. If you feel uncomfortable carrying gear, then gather information on how to get the necessities from the environment with the limited supplies you will carry.<br><br>You need water, shelter, fire. Learn where to look, how to build/purify and transport these three items. Once you have these basics covered, the next issue will probably be food. <br><br>There are a variety of methods to gather or make the basics. The method you choose or works in the particular situation will vary greatly. Lots of stuff crammed into a small container are just tools to make getting the 4 items easier and quicker. <br><br>How much you carry is a personal decision. An alternatvie is to have caches of equipment stashed at the locations you frequent. I keep a fanny pack in my vehicle. I keep a daypack at the house. I keep a few items in my desk drawer at work. I carry a pocket knife and lots of little ideas in my head.<br><br>Having all the gear can be a race unto itself. Just like some people collect all the latest gadgets for their hobby, some people on this forum collect survival equipment. Hopefully we are also collecting information on how to use the equipment as well as field expedient alternatives. <br><br>We would all love to hear any tips you might have. <br><br>

#1746 - 09/21/01 02:57 PM Re: survival approach
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is understandable to want to know where to be to increase your case of survival. The best place to be is not where there is a disaster. <br><br>Each of the areas you mentioned has different solutions. Most information I have seen about airplane travel is how to get out of a downed plane. No such opportunity for the four planes 9/11.<br><br>Each of the other forms of transport differ. Generally speaking, limitng the amount travel inside the vehicle by wearing seat restraints decreases injuries during collisions. A bomb exploded underneath a vehicle, the best place to be is not in the vehicle.<br><br>Buildings are a different matter. Fire department ladders cannot reach above 7th or 8th floors. Windows provide an alternate escape out of buildings but provide little blast protection from car bombs outside or vehicles driven into buildings. First floor is easier to get out of but also easier for "bad guys" to get into. Buildings with sprinklers usually only have sprinklers in habitable space. A fire in utility chases will rage unchecked. Manmade fibers are more durable but when burned emit toxic fumes. <br><br>Offices with lots of doors and walls make it more difficult for armed people to negoiate the twists and turns. The doors and walls make good fire breaks but make it more difficult for you to get out. Every choice is a trade-off.<br><br>Maybe if you could start different topics, each about a specific location or scenario, different opinions could be offered.<br><br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.