Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174467 - 06/06/09 08:24 PM Vacuum packing thing other than food?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Does anyone pack clothes, electronics, or ??? for long term, water-proofing or 'other?' Are there bigger bags for bigger stuff? Do you add silica packs anyway?

Thanks

#174497 - 06/07/09 02:15 PM Re: Vacuum packing thing other than food? [Re: TeacherRO]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I'm going to put in silca packs in with our emergency meds, and thinking about the logistics of vacuum sealing the meds as well.

(we sometimes dip into the emergency stash when I forget to get a script filled and it's after pharmacy hours.)

#174498 - 06/07/09 02:15 PM Re: Vacuum packing thing other than food? [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
While not a Vacuum Bag, I like the Space Bag type of product. Since there is typically nowhere to plug in the vacuum sealer in the boonies, and the space bag type product lets you re-compress the package.

Perfect.... nope, but woks in a pinch.

RIP OBG

#174499 - 06/07/09 02:22 PM Re: Vacuum packing thing other than food? [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I've gone a little nuts with mine, and sealed all kinds of things. Best use? All my first aid supplies. It really reduces the bulk, and keeps things safe, dry and easy to sort through. I notch the edges of the packets, and they do tear open quite easily.

#174518 - 06/08/09 12:05 AM Re: Vacuum packing thing other than food? [Re: TeacherRO]
Mogg Offline
Stranger

I keep one of the big 15X15 ziplock bags in my laptop bag,
incase it rains.

I use a couple of LockLock boxes for chargers and other
small stuff, and an otterbox 2000 for my PDA, and a
small witz case for ciggaretts and a lighter.

While I don't really think the ziplock is needed for
short trips in light rain, say, from the car to the office,
I keep it around since it weighs hardly a thing, and
if it's needed, it would be really bad if I didn't have it.

Mogg
must be the one
with the axe.

#174536 - 06/08/09 12:51 PM Re: Vacuum packing thing other than food? [Re: Mogg]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Um, I sorta hate to admit this, but I recently did a box of matches using my vacuum sealer, doing each match individually. I now have 10 strips of individually vacuum sealed strike anywhere matches. My reasoning: if I needed a match I didn't want to open a bagful and compromise them all at once.

Well, that and I was a bit bored and OC that day.

#174542 - 06/08/09 02:20 PM Re: Vacuum packing thing other than food? [Re: benjammin]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Um, I sorta hate to admit this, but I recently did a box of matches using my vacuum sealer, doing each match individually. I now have 10 strips of individually vacuum sealed strike anywhere matches. My reasoning: if I needed a match I didn't want to open a bagful and compromise them all at once.

Matches individually vacuum sealed?

That's even more OC than me (I bow to your superior OCness). smile

I always say "if it doesn't scare the kids, stampede the livestock, or wake me up, I'm cool with whatever".

At least you know your matches are dry no matter what.

#174565 - 06/09/09 12:25 AM Re: Vacuum packing thing other than food? [Re: benjammin]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I vacuum seal first aid supplies, ammo, TP, personal meds and vitamins. I often vacuum seal a suitably sized zip-lock bag in with the vacuum sealed item(s).

#174566 - 06/09/09 12:27 AM Re: Vacuum packing thing other than food? [Re: benjammin]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: benjammin

I do mine in groups of 5 or 10, and include a striker with them. Yes I put a striker in with SA matches.

#174748 - 06/12/09 05:20 PM Re: Vacuum packing thing other than food? [Re: TeacherRO]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Extensively.

My son recently went on a camping trip with his school off in the woods in central PA. I vac-sealed some first aid supplies, fire-starting equipment, dry socks and some batteries. Two reasons.

In my jeep I keep some tools I don't use frequently and stuff that I don't mind re-packing when I need them (like a poncho). Even though I'm not a fire/rescue guy anymore, I still keep the same emergency kit in my truck that I used when I was active.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 292 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.