Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#174461 - 06/06/09 07:35 PM NOAA asking me to confirm PLB ID...
Herbie Offline
Stranger

Loc: SoCal

So I've owned an ACR MicrOFix since early 2007, and I've dutifully registered and updated the registry on it ever since.

However, I recently received an email (posted in full below) asking me to confirm my Beacon ID against the number that the NOAA has on file. (And to submit an update to my registration if there are any errors.) I thought double checking wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'll be damned if I can find the Beacon ID anywhere on my device.

Now, I've to the NOAA registration sticker affixed where I'm supposed to, and that number matches (of course), but what I really need to do is compare it to the number that ACR has programmed in (the ID that is sent when the beacon is activated).

Is this "under" the sticker? (i.e. did ACR print the number on the same part of the case labeled "Place Registration Sticker Here")

If so, then my only recourse if I want to do this double-check is to pull back the sticker, likely destroying it, then do an update (even if it matches) and get a new registration sticker sent.

Anybody got a better idea? I've sent ACR the same query via their website, but I haven't heard back yet.

Quote:
Dear REDACTED,

In order to ensure the accuracy of our Registration Database, we are asking each of our 406 MHz beacon owners to carefully check all the information contained in their beacon registration, particularly, the Beacon ID. If you are a former owner, and you have indicated this to us in previous correspondence to NOAA, you do not need to proceed any further.

Otherwise, please verify that the 15 character Beacon ID registered with NOAA is identical to the 15 character manufacturer/installer programmed Unique Identifier Number (UIN). This 15 character UIN has been programmed into your 406 MHz emergency beacon by the manufacturer or an installer. The UIN is part of the message transmitted by the beacon when activated. The UIN is also referred to as the Beacon ID in NOAA’s Registration Database. The Beacon ID registered with NOAA is found on all NOAA correspondence in the upper right hand corner of the email or letter, the registration form, and on the NOAA decal. For most beacons the manufacturer/installer programmed UIN can be found on an exterior or an interior surface of the beacon itself. It is also on the documentation provided by the manufacturer or installer. Please contact the manufacturer or installer if you cannot find or determine the manufacturer/installer programmed UIN. If the Beacon ID registered with NOAA is not identical to the manufacturer/installer UIN, please reply to this email or call us immediately at 301-817-4515 or 888-212-7283.

In your reply or your call, please identify the Beacon ID registered with NOAA and the manufacturer/installer programmed UIN. Please include the manufacturer name, model number and serial number of the unit, when available. There is no need to reply or call if the Beacon ID registered with NOAA is identical to the manufacturer/installer programmed UIN.

A file of your current registration information is attached. Please take this opportunity to ensure all your information is up to date, especially the emergency point of contact information.

- If updates are needed, log on to your beacon registration account at www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov, or

- If you do not have internet access, make the changes on the attached form and mail it to the address shown below or fax to 301-817-4565.

Sincerely,

Christopher O' Connors,
SARSAT Program Manager

#174464 - 06/06/09 08:00 PM Re: NOAA asking me to confirm PLB ID... [Re: Herbie]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Look at page 4 of the Microfix User Manual.

http://www.acrelectronics.com/common/plb300man.pdf

It shows the "UIN Label: Applied at the factory, the 15 character hexadecimal number is unique to each beacon." is a whitish horizontal label near the top of the back of the beacon.

The COSPAS-SARSAT label - the one you got from the government when you registered your beacon - is shown placed horizontally directly below the UIN Label.

Hopefully you didn't place the COSPAS-SARSAT label directly over the top of the UIN Label. If you did, then you'll need to peel off the COSPAS-SARSAT label to view the UIN code.

That's not really a big deal. If the sticker doesn't stick well anymore, just go back into the registration database at https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/rgdb/ and modify it somehow. They'll send you a new updated sticker.

#174465 - 06/06/09 08:07 PM Re: NOAA asking me to confirm PLB ID... [Re: KenK]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
BTW, I got the very same e-mail ... about two days after re-registering (my registration was about to expire). I wasn't sure if the e-mail resulted from my re-registration or was independent of it. Sounds like the latter of the two.

#174478 - 06/06/09 11:26 PM Re: NOAA asking me to confirm PLB ID... [Re: KenK]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
I got the same letter, and from what I read in it, respond if you need to correct something.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.