Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174412 - 06/05/09 07:08 PM Backpacking Anyone?
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Anyone into backpacking?

My brother and I are just getting into it... and we are comparing gear with other friends and though we'd see what backpackers here are using.

Here's our list of gear:
Osprey ATMOS 50 Backpack
Snow Peak Titanium Mini Spork
Snow Peak Trek 700 Ti Combo w/ Ti GigaPower Auto Stove & ti Spork
Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium
Snow Peak Snow Peak Fuel
Snow Peak Titanium Double Wall Cup 450
MSR Packtowl Ultralite Large
Atwater Carey Light & Dry LD2 (First Aid Kit)
MSR MiniWorks EX - Red/Black
Brunton Glorb
Mountain Hardwear UltraLamina 32 (My bag)
Sierra Designs Lightning 2 Tent - '08 Closeout

We still need to get stuff sacks for our bags, and tent, and a few other odds`n`ends.

What does everyone think? We are trying to keep it VERY light weight and not carry redundant gear. The GLORB may be used or not, not 100% yet.

-Todd

Edited by Todd W (06/05/09 07:20 PM)

#174414 - 06/05/09 07:21 PM Re: Backpacking Anyone? [Re: Todd W]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I think most of your stuff is pretty good. I've never used SnwoPeak, being an MSR type, but supposedly a good brand.

My personal opinion is you're going a bit overboard with cost - titanium is (again, IMHO) too pricey, when aluminum is cheaper for virtually identical weights. Plus, I really hate sporks. Are you doing the canister fuel? If so, they don't work so well at high altitude, and you should look at a different style.

Some things need to be redundant. Knife, light, survival gear, etc.

#174415 - 06/05/09 07:26 PM Re: Backpacking Anyone? [Re: MDinana]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana
I think most of your stuff is pretty good. I've never used SnwoPeak, being an MSR type, but supposedly a good brand.

My personal opinion is you're going a bit overboard with cost - titanium is (again, IMHO) too pricey, when aluminum is cheaper for virtually identical weights. Plus, I really hate sporks. Are you doing the canister fuel? If so, they don't work so well at high altitude, and you should look at a different style.

Some things need to be redundant. Knife, light, survival gear, etc.

I have the SnowPeak gear (same stuff) in my BOB and really like it, and for the extra few bucks (maybe 100 total in the end) saving a few ounces here and there has already added up to saving 1lb for us EACH smile That, to me, is well worth it!

Canister fuel correct, I've used it up to 8k with no problem, if/when we go higher we`ll get an MSR whisperlite I think smile

Thanks for the ideas keep them coming.

#174416 - 06/05/09 07:39 PM Re: Backpacking Anyone? [Re: Todd W]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Looks like a great start. Don't forget rain gear, some sort of sleeping pad, a headlamp, and a first aid kit.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#174422 - 06/05/09 09:15 PM Re: Backpacking Anyone? [Re: Todd W]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The kit list looks very good. I do like the Osprey pack. The Snow Peak gear is excellent and titanium is an excellent choice being extremely durable and corrosion resistant. You may find the Snow Peak 700 pot a little restrictive for a multiday hikes though. I have started to use a 1 litre Primus EtaPower pot as it saves a little on fuel due to built in heat exchanger and allows the the larger 250gm gas cartridge to be stored inside toether with a folding gas stove.

The Primus Litech Kettle is also worthwhile carrying for that quick brew up during those important 'wow what a view' stops.

http://www.wildernessdining.com/su733921.html

I would also recommend the Exped DownMat 9 for a good nights sleep even though it is slightly heavier than a Thermarest.

I've just got hold of some very lightweight Stainless Steel Tatonka water bottles and have now replaced my Sigg Alu bottles.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tatonka-Stainless-Steel-Bottle-1000/dp/B000G4XI3G

The 1 litre bottles are a perfect fit for the Sigg Neoprene covers (makes for a night time hot water bottle) and the SmarTube lightweight water hydration attachment system.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3129

A Thermarest Pillow stuffsack will double up as a improvised pillow (has an internal comfy fleecy inner)

http://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-Purpose-Stuff-Pillow/dp/B001GUMAN8

Lighting requirements can be covered with the Fenix AA or CR123 flashlights with the diffusor tip attachment hung from the centre of the tent. Fenix also now have a good headband attachment with storage for additional batteries.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_38&products_id=659

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_38&products_id=339

Oh and don't forget the map, compass, change of socks and the compeed.. wink

#174424 - 06/05/09 10:38 PM Re: Backpacking Anyone? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Ordered some more gear, and some other I`m using I already have, will update the list shortly smile

#174455 - 06/06/09 06:45 PM Re: Backpacking Anyone? [Re: Todd W]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Backpacking if fun - Lots to learn. A packing list:
GORP SITE PACKING LIST

...because if you don't use a list, you'll either over-pack or forget the TP

#174468 - 06/06/09 08:26 PM Re: Backpacking Anyone? [Re: TeacherRO]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have been backpacking most o my life, and would like to offer a little advice. First, you dont need a stuffsack for everything. My advice would be to put everything into a large garbage back, including your sleeping bag, and roll it up tight. This keeps everything nice & dry. Then, add the tent, in the bag it came with, sans poles, on top of that. Closed up, you should still be fine. Top pocket (if there is one) put a FAK, headlamp, TP, and snacks. The trick to packing is to put what you wont use on the bottom. Food bag at the bottom of the pack, not in your garbage bag though. Then, the garbage bag with your sleeping bag, change of clothes, jacket for warmth, hat, gloves, extra pair of socks, and wet weather gear (unless its needed or wet). roll that up tight, put it in the pack, on top of your food. Next in goes the tent, without the poles, on top of the garbage bag. Lastly, your wet weather gear, if rain is expected, or if it is wet. Me, I ALWAYS pack this on top of everything else, because the jacket is an effective windbreaker.
Outside, strap your sleeping pad & tent poles to your pack. Thats it!

#174470 - 06/06/09 08:44 PM Re: Backpacking Anyone? [Re: oldsoldier]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
One more thing, this is my list, what I carry no matter how many nights I spend out.
Pack-Karrimor Sabre 45l pack, with two side pockets
Water-standard nalgene bottle, usually kept empty (I fill it only when stopping for the evening, or for an extended break), platypus 3L water bladder, MSR miniworks filter (by FAR the best filter I've used yet!)
Food-snacks, breakfast & dinner for number of days out, plus an additional day, instant coffee, Trangia alcohol stove, GSI Soloist cookset
Clothes-extra pair of pants, extra T shirt, extra socks, fleece jacket, wet weather top & bottom (froggtoggs, wouldnt use anything else), wool hat, wool mitten/glove combo
Sleeping gear-Hennessy Hammock exped Asym hammock, with open cell foam pad, silnylon tarp, and either a Kifaru Woobie quilt for warmer weather, or a Golite down 20* bag for colder weather.
Other gear-FAK, headlamp, leatherman tool, beltknife, whistle, TP, 550 cord, AMK heatsheet (I sometimes use this under my hammock, to add insulation, if its cold) and sometimes a book.

Its sounds like a lot, but, honestly, when full, packweight is at the most 20lbs.

#174471 - 06/06/09 08:44 PM Re: Backpacking Anyone? [Re: oldsoldier]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
canoe tripping supply stores like Duluth Pack sell very heavy duty,over sized plastic bags that are ment to waterproof their canvas packs.i use one for my gear bag and two inside my food pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, wileycoyote), 153 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.