Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174456 - 06/06/09 07:03 PM This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
at least that what HE thinks. laugh

http://www.fraggedformysins.com/2008/09/pocketses/

[imagine the tone getting higher and more breathless as you read this for the proper effect]
I realize that what WE consider a normal level of EDC is going to be different from the average person on the street, but i couldn't help but laugh at this. Most here probably carry more in a single pocket than this guy carries TOTAL... and he thinks it's a huge load.
:lolhammer:

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#174457 - 06/06/09 07:14 PM Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC [Re: Erik_B]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
IMO, none of this is EDC because it's what everyone carries just to get through the average day.

#174480 - 06/07/09 01:24 AM Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC [Re: Erik_B]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Erik, I'm just not sure how to respond to that young man.

I weighed mine today. Excluding the pen, notebook, pocket knife, and anything else sharp, pointy, or likely to go bang that I might or might not have on my person, my EDC bag is almost 8 pounds.

Actually, I do know what I to say to him, but Chris and Martin would yell at me afterwards.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#174491 - 06/07/09 01:23 PM Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC [Re: Erik_B]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
He seems like an ultra-light city type guy that doesn't want to carry anything but a credit card. It's not about EDC as in preparedness, it's about "look at all this stuff I have to carry". He's just whining.

#174495 - 06/07/09 01:56 PM Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC [Re: Russ]
erehwon Offline

Loc: Keystone State
Well, that is someone I'd have to carry extra crap for to rescue in an urban situation.

#174516 - 06/08/09 12:01 AM Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC [Re: erehwon]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
If he is moaning and groaning about "all the stuff" he has to carry, then you do not need to waste your supplies and efforts on him. Let him become McGyver (spelling?) and rescue his own sorry backside. It is true he is not preparedness-minded. Maybe someone should send a "courtesy subscription" to this site.

BTW Ironraven, what are you carrying that adds up to eight pounds?

#174522 - 06/08/09 01:20 AM Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC [Re: MoBOB]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Two pounds and pocket change worth of water, Nalgene, and cup.

A very small tool kit, about 9-10oz.

A very small fak, about 6oz

Cell phone, AA-powered charger, SAK, Leatherman, little Fenix, Surefire, some spare batteries, MP3 player, a couple thumb drives, pair of work gloves, call all that about two pounds.

Wallet, checkbook, roll of quarters, some pens and pencils, note pad, county road map, aa couple of takeout menus, keys, a chunk of paracord, some wire, a couple zip ties, a few inches of bycycle tube, tiny roll of duct tape and a PSK rounds out the rest.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#174535 - 06/08/09 10:26 AM Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC [Re: ironraven]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Checkbook and roll of quarters for EDC? If you still think checks are useful at least slim that down to a couple n your wallet.
I'm been working for a big bank now for 5 years and got my free checking account back when I started and the box of free checks. I had to shred all those when we moved and had only used one or two and one of them was just so I could see what the image looked like in the check image system.
I requested new checks when we moved and haven't used one yet and we've been here almost a year now.

#174541 - 06/08/09 02:13 PM Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC [Re: Erik_B]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I don't know what the young man considers prepared.

Just weighed my stuff:

EDC Messenger (man bag): 6 pounds

EDC stuff in my pockets and on my belt: 3 pounds.

Not counting a water bottle.

#174558 - 06/08/09 08:51 PM Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC [Re: ironraven]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Didn't think about a length of bicycle tube before except for firestarter. Nice bit'o'swag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.