The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#174101 - 06/01/09 05:11 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: comms]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Bear entertains and educates, a little. I think if you listen to him you'd hear him sayng he dosn't always do things the smart way. I've heard him say that as far as heading down a big slope, "there is the sensible way and the Bear way." Some things he does would be idiotic for most people to try, but I also don't hear him saying it's the best choice.

#174107 - 06/01/09 06:26 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: Dan_McI]
Henry_Porter Offline

I'm guessing this has something to do with promoting Ferrell's upcoming movie "Land of the Lost."

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809953162/info

#174141 - 06/01/09 10:26 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: Henry_Porter]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Henry, it certainly does. I am looking forward to seeing this...Will's comment on the commercials have me rolling!!!

#174146 - 06/02/09 12:45 AM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: Tyber]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Sounds like the "Survivorman" episode from "The Office". I gotta admit, that was one of few episodes that I've actually seen of The Office. One of the office guys tried to hide behind the scenes to support his boss and "protect" him. I suspect the Will Ferrell episode will be similar to this.

Ray Mears and Ewan McGregor did an episode together but that was far from a Will Ferrell comedy. McGregor does haves pretty decent skills and was a serious student.

To my knowledge Les Stroud hasn't done any shows with celebrities but Ron Hood has taught many people outdoor skills including Backpackers's John Viehman. (Ron loves messing with people especially when he gets them to eat bugs!)

#174182 - 06/02/09 02:05 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: Roarmeister]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Ray Mears and Ewan McGregor... I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

#174194 - 06/02/09 05:52 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: Nicodemus]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Don't mean to jump the shark here, but to tag on the Ewan McGregor documentary boat, his documentary, "Long Way Round" is the ultimate buddy road trip video log. Him and his best friend ride from London to New York via Asia. It goes from concept of two buddies drinking up a plan, creating the route and getting visas and then the trip. Awesome.

#174199 - 06/02/09 06:45 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: Roarmeister]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Ron Hood has taught many people outdoor skills including Backpackers's John Viehman. (Ron loves messing with people especially when he gets them to eat bugs!)

Funny you mention this. Me and the family just spent four days camping with Ron/Karen Hood and his Hoodlums. Ron seemed really shocked when saw DD1 and I munching on roasted June bugs.

Hoodlums Spring Thing '09

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#174392 - 06/05/09 12:39 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: Tyber]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
I watched it last night and overall it really wasn't that bad, Bear (and crew) knew their butts were on the line if anything happened to Will, so I am betting they took "extra" precautions for his safety.

Mike

#174396 - 06/05/09 01:48 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: kd7fqd]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
I didn't know that the Hostess TWINKIE was the new preferred "survival ration" until I saw Will and Bear together.

I enjoyed that episode... very funny!

#174398 - 06/05/09 02:26 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: Lon]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I enjoyed it too, good entertainment. You could tell that Will Ferrell was legitimately sh*t scared from the rapels, but he followed through, he may not have rapeled from a heli before but he had obviously had enough training to get over his trust in the rope issues. And you could also see just how tired he was at the end of day one, when they were making camp. I've been there, you don't want to move, you just want Bear or the camera crew to set up camp and let you collapse and sleep. Instead they feasted on caribou eyeball, which was a funny sequence.

Overall I think the drop site had to have been well-scouted, and the sequence of challenges cleared with Ferrell and his people. The distance traveled wasn't very far but would challenge someone not used to snow travel. How fortunate to find the caribou carcass exactly where they needed one, the intact caribou skin gave them ground warmth for the first night (along with whatever sleeping bags the camera crew carried with them). The cornice breaking off on the first rapel seemed legitimate, but I wouldn't doubt a second crew member behind Ferrell holding Bear's belay.

They had a lot of assists on this one even if the above were just coincidences, but its entertainment and not meant to be done by anyone else.

Damn you Bear Gryllis.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.