Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174155 - 06/02/09 02:44 AM Sharpening and the "wire edge"
erehwon Offline

Loc: Keystone State
OK Razor's Edge was mentioned in the last sharpening post, but this is kind of a different question, So I thought it merited a second place, Mods, if you want to combine, sorry for the presumption.

There seems to be many schools of sharpening, but one I hear of often, and Razor's Edge seems typical, is of this 'wire edge' and the need to break it down. The idea seems to me to be, sharpen at a steep 10-12 degree angle, and create a very thin edge, and then strop it to 'break the wire' and create the point.

I always was taught to do the opposite, sharpen first to a chisel, 20-25, then carefully with a finer stone sharp 5 degs less, 20-15, using a light tough, hoping for a pyramid on a pyramid, for edge hold. Am I nuts?

I never use a strop, just a stone, and don't want another bit of gear cluttering up my kit, but hope I haven't been doing it wrong this whole time. Sharpening with a small stone is often I think just holding it in the crook of your forefinger, and feeling it in small circles.

What do you all think? oh, thirteenth post, good luck!

T

Edited by erehwon (06/02/09 02:45 AM)

#174156 - 06/02/09 02:49 AM Re: Sharpening and the "wire edge" [Re: erehwon]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You are described two different edges. One we can call a scandinavian. The other is a compound, or secondary edge.
Both have advantages and disadvantages. It depends on the perceived tasks needed. Both will create the fragile 'wire edge' to some degree.

#174159 - 06/02/09 03:07 AM Re: Sharpening and the "wire edge" [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
erehwon Offline

Ah see this is what confused me.

I guess I've always been taught that a wire edge can be avoided in the stone sharpening. Never used a strop. Dad always said, "if you can feel a bead, lean into it a bit.

I guess this means I use a compound edge, which sounds preferable to me, I don't need a razor blade out there, a working knife is fine.

Thanks Chris, you are always on the spot with the info.

#174161 - 06/02/09 03:44 AM Re: Sharpening and the "wire edge" [Re: erehwon]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you've managed to cut what needs cutting don't worry.
I've read the guys with micro lapping compounds and using cigarette papers as cutting tests with computer programs to measure cut pressure and my neck hair goes on end.
Here I was using the oh blankety-blank I just cut my thumb off, run to the bathroom for a toilet paper compress test all these years.

#174171 - 06/02/09 07:00 AM Re: Sharpening and the "wire edge" [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
erehwon Offline

All I know is that when I hand my SAK to someone, which I almost never do, but I somehow feel obligated if someone asks "anyone have a knife on them?" happens less and less these days.

I have to say, literally, watch yourself its goshdarn &*&^% sharp, and they still often will slice themselves one. Sigh, why I also carry the FAK.

And I get asked that all time dumb question, why do you keep your knife so sharp? Um.... its a knife?

#174174 - 06/02/09 09:29 AM Re: Sharpening and the "wire edge" [Re: erehwon]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Things like razor sharp or shaving edge are pretty subjective and open to various interpretations.

A true razor (hollow ground) is sharpened at a very steep angle then finished on a strop, which means super fine polishing. This is the kind of finish and blade profile that ensures superior cutting performance but the edge is not going to be durable enough for cutting anything harder than hair or very soft materials.

It is perfectly possible to sharpen a hunting/utility knife to a shaving edge even at an angle like 20° per side. I can shave with my USMC Kabar if need be and the edge is still plenty sturdy enough for harder work.

A lot of people make the mistake sharpening at a very steep angle when they want better cutting performance in a knife. Usually this leads to something approaching a true razor edge - very thin and fragile and doesn't last long. Instead, keep a relatively strong edge (say, 20° per side) but make absolutely sure that it's ground to a perfect point. When looking at the edge, it should be a crisp V. The sides should come to a straight, perfectly aligned edge. It takes some practice to get it just right so checking the edge under magnification helps.

Once you're done, take a fine stone and put in a small microbevel (like 25° per side) but make sure you maintain the same correct alignment. If done right (and as long as the heat treat is good) there should be no wire left at that stage. For optimal results, you can now strop the edge. Once again being very careful not to ruin the edge alignment as it often happens - stropping is an art and maintaining a consistent angle is not easy.

You will now get a super fine, yet strong edge that will shave hair but remain robust enough that it won't need to be resharpened for a long time. BTW, you can do the same with a convex edge (as opposed to a straight V profile), it's just that it takes a little more patience.

#174177 - 06/02/09 12:23 PM Re: Sharpening and the "wire edge" [Re: erehwon]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
A great and inexpensive book on the subject is Sharpening Made Easy by Steve Bottorff. It descibes several techniques with easy to follow text and simple diagrams. BTW, purchasers of the book are also given a special URL thta leads to a page with additional information that didn't make it into the book when it was initially published.

#174193 - 06/02/09 05:52 PM Re: Sharpening and the "wire edge" [Re: billvann]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Next question. What is a good sharpner to keep in a BOB for sharpening in the field. ( light, small, with monkey mode.)

#174196 - 06/02/09 06:27 PM Re: Sharpening and the "wire edge" [Re: big_al]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
In a BoB I would pack one of those cross carbide draw sharpeners. Good for a quick touch up, reliable, and basic enough a novice can sharpen with it. It won't give the surgical edge of other systems, but it is quick, and it will get a blade sharp enough for any sort of field work. Cost about $3.

#174198 - 06/02/09 06:32 PM Re: Sharpening and the "wire edge" [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've got a diamond and rouge set of wheels on a grinder motor at home, and it's not possible to get a knife any sharper than you can with that set up. However, it also isn't necessary to have a knife edge worked up that fine, and for field work a $5 stone or a good carbide cross cutter is more than enough to get a desirable edge. I got the wheels because I can polish sharpen a 24" beat-to-hell machete in about 5 minutes. It does what it does with minimal effort and maximum results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.