Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174130 - 06/01/09 08:36 PM Time to add a ResQFix to my kit.
Citabria Offline
Stranger

Loc: South Florida
Hi everyone,

I’m about to spring for a ResQFix 460 for my kit. My partner is a professional landscape photographer and I’m her guide (aka schleper). We spend a lot of time out of radio or cell phone range in the Everglades and Bahamas. Over the years we’ve had our share of drama but so far so good.

I first looked at a PLB a couple of years ago and became a firm believer. I waited for more competition to improve design and lower price. Hasn’t happened yet but I’m ready to make the move.

But, if I buy one tomorrow it will almost guarantee that a new version will come out next month. Any word on updates to the ACR product line on the horizon?

Finally, I have looked for specific details on the limitations of the system without much success. For instance:
- what is the SARSAT coverage in south Florida – how often is a satellite within range of the PLB?
- how long does it take for the PLB to acquire a fix
- how does overhead canopy affect GPS reception?
- And lots of other questions . . .

I would appreciate any information anyone would provide or point me to.

There is little doubt that I will own a ResQfFx within a few days. Hopefully, I will never need it but if I do I just want to know its limits.

Thanks!

#174133 - 06/01/09 09:42 PM Re: Time to add a ResQFix to my kit. [Re: Citabria]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I can't answer your questions, but I did notice there was a new, smaller PLB released recently. Might be worth looking into since the small/light object is more likely to end up in your pack.

McMurdo Fast Find GPS PLB

-john

#174143 - 06/01/09 10:33 PM Re: Time to add a ResQFix to my kit. [Re: Citabria]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I would say hold off buying the ACR if you can for the MicrOfix100 from ACR to be released in the July time period. If you need it sooner then buy of course the ResQFix or preferably the microfix. Another option is to rent one when you are going out and buy the new one when it is released.

ACR Announces Next Generation PLBs

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=104

#174176 - 06/02/09 11:48 AM Re: Time to add a ResQFix to my kit. [Re: falcon5000]
Citabria Offline
Stranger

Thanks guys!

I'll definitely hold off buying the ACR.

The McMurdo sure is enticing! I found it online for $284, no sales tax and free shipping. That would work for a couple of months until the new ACR units come out. If I decided to get an ACR the McMurdo could either be a backup or better yet given to a friend who is equipped challenged.

#174191 - 06/02/09 05:02 PM Re: Time to add a ResQFix to my kit. [Re: Citabria]
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
I do not have a lot of experence with PLB's but have some with ELT's. SARSAT usally comes over about every 40 minutes. With the older ELT's AFRCC would wait for three passes before SAR was called, this will be different for the new ELT's and PLB's. I think the procedure that I read said the the contact number would be called after the first "hit". If you get a PLB make sure it has a GPS built in, I think they all do. Of course like any electronic equipment do not rely on only it because of you do Murphy will make sure it does not work.

#174192 - 06/02/09 05:26 PM Re: Time to add a ResQFix to my kit. [Re: Citabria]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
A lot of your questions can be answered via

Doug Ritter's PLB FAQ: http://www.equipped.org/faq_plb/default.asp

and his "How PLB's work page": http://www.equipped.org/406_beacon_test_background.htm#How

The coverage in Florida is as good as anywhere.

The GEO satellites orbit around the Earth's equator and will provide a very quick response to a PLB beacon - within 3-5 minutes. That will tell the system that you are in trouble, but won't tell them where you are.

Your location is determined - and transmitted to the GEO satellites - by one of two systems:

1. GPS location - a GPS fix gives you a location accuracy within 100 meters, but they rely heavily on a clear view to the sky - especially older GPS chip sets - I have not heard whether newer PLB's use the new high-sensitivity chip sets. If you turn on the PLB with onboard GPS, do everything you can to provide a clear view to the sky including as much of the horizon as you can. In Doug's testing a GPS fix can take anywhere from 1-16 minutes.

2. Doppler location - a Doppler-shift location is determined independent of a GPS using LEO satellites, and provides roughly a 2.5 Km (1.5 mile) location accuracy within 1.5 hours. The delay is less as you move away from the Equator - Doug says the maximum delay in the continental U.S. is about one hour.

The other things to keep in mind:

1. Rescue won't come immediately. It takes some time for them to confirm the validity of the beacon and to launch the rescue. Be prepared to wait for rescue to arrive.

2. At least from what I've read - not all SAR have the capability to take advantage of the 121.5 MHz homing beacon. YOUR job once you've initiated the PLB's signal is to be as "findable" as possible. A while back there was the story of a climber who had to use his PLB for rescue while perched on the side of a mountain. He watched in frustration as rescue teams looked for him off in the distance, but couldn't get their attention - somehow they had the incorrectly estimated his location. Eventually he was able to get their attention. I'm trying to remember how - maybe by waving a space blanket??

3. Don't be surprised if you are charged for the cost of rescue. But then again, what is your life worth?

Don't wait too long to buy one. As you say, a better one will come along next month. Its the same way with cell phones and digital cameras. It used to be that way with GPS's, but I'm not so sure anymore ... they have yet to improve on my wonderful Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. They've added new models with attractive features but have yet to make a better GPS.

#174209 - 06/02/09 09:46 PM Re: Time to add a ResQFix to my kit. [Re: KenK]
Citabria Offline
Stranger

Again, thanks to y'all for the information and DR for the website.

I did try to search for the info I knew was here but apparently was too clumsy to find it on my own. I have read over the links and most of the initial questions have been answered. I will go back and study more. Good stuff as usual.

I did order the McMurdo FastFind 210 PLB today. We have a trip to the Bahamian Out Islands next week and will be in some very remote locations. This device will provide some margin of comfort although I won't expect to see a chopper anytime soon if needed.

We spend a great deal of time deep in the Everglades on foot, by boat or buggy. Most of the time comms is nonexistent. The hazards are many. While I care for my own safety, my primary concern is for Angie.

When on a photo shoot she is all about the view through the camera, complete condition white while I am condition orange. I train her to use the survival equipment as much as possible but her attention is on her photo equipment [considerable] and the shot. She trusts me to get her in and out.

If she goes down we still have options. If I go down she is in serious trouble. I don't want her to have to make the decision to stay or leave for help. Even if I'm dead, I don't want her to try to come out on her own. Time to call in SAR.

While the McMurdo unit says it has 10 self tests available, it can't actually send a test to a SafeLife satellite, or any other, until the antenna is deployed. Bummer. Still, as you say, it's better to have than nothing. For the price I'm pleased.

I fully expect to buy the ACR product that allows 100 full satellite tests when it's available. If I understand the concept, testing will allow us to see how well the GPS acquisition works in the different environments we see as well as train Angie on its use. I don't believe in learning under stress.

Sorry for the 'discussion' but it helps me bounce important decisions like this in a forum I trust.

I am confused about one thing:
KenK >>> The GEO satellites orbit around the Earth's equator and will provide a very quick response to a PLB beacon - within 3-5 minutes. That will tell the system that you are in trouble, but won't tell them where you are. <<<

I thought the GEO satellites would receive your GPS location (if available). If location data was not available then it would be eventually determined by Doppler from the LEO system.

Please correct me where I am misunderstanding/dreaming/stupid.

#174221 - 06/03/09 12:26 AM Re: Time to add a ResQFix to my kit. [Re: Citabria]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I think he is referring to the idea there are GPS and non-GPS based PLBs. For those with non-GPS equipped device, or if the GPS can't get a fix, it uses the method described.

GPS may not always be able to get a fix due to tree cover or other location issues.

We'll need pics when you get it! And now you can't tell us you don't have access to a camera! ;-)

-john

#174251 - 06/03/09 04:20 AM Re: Time to add a ResQFix to my kit. [Re: JohnN]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
I have an ACR MicroFix, and I have no complaints. It has passed every self test , but thank God I have never really needed it....

#174284 - 06/03/09 02:46 PM Re: Time to add a ResQFix to my kit. [Re: DannyL]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
As stated before, my next big back country purchase will be a PLB. I have waited long enough and will most likely read through the reviews on the new models coming out this summer from ACR. I have been set on a MicroFix for a while and while the new models may have less weight by at most a half pound, I don't know if the bells and whistles will overwhelm me past what could possibly be a great price reduction on the original and so far well received model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.