Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#173928 - 05/28/09 11:23 PM Re: Bugging Out (long) [Re: ame]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
It's not required to travel within the USA... but I think it's another form of id that can now be used to travel to canada.

#173929 - 05/28/09 11:27 PM Re: Bugging Out (long) [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Military ID and state drivers license are EDC. Passport is my laptop computer bag.

Fortunately I do not envision bugging out in the sense of moving south from the DMZ. That is a beautiful part of the world I have no interest in seeing again -- particularly while those guys to the north have so much motivation to restart a war that should have been over in 1953. Fifty six years. . .

#173930 - 05/28/09 11:31 PM Re: Passport Card [Re: ame]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL

#173932 - 05/28/09 11:59 PM Re: Passport Card [Re: Russ]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I was tasked to help run some of the stations for NEO when I was "fortunate" enough to be stationed there.

I was just freaking amazed at how lightly the spouses took the entire excersize and how unprepared they would be should it be real. They would show up in dresses and flip flops - this was mid February with 2 feet of snow on the ground - and not have half the required paperwork. Probably 20% didn't have a clue what to do anyhow.

Great initial post btw, lots of insight.

What got tons of screams, the fact that pets would not be evac'd. They would be euthanized on site. Oh how they hollered...

#173933 - 05/29/09 12:21 AM Re: Pets [Re: JBMat]
CrazyJ Offline
Stranger

Pets are now considered "member of the family" and will be evacuated as well. Small pets can be hand carried in their carriers (counted against the owner's weight allowance). Larger pets in their crates are tracked and evacuated in the same system as the people, though they're not supposed to take a seat away from a person...

#173947 - 05/29/09 07:20 AM Re: Pets [Re: CrazyJ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
That's what we told people. Under 25 pounds and your animal and their food could be counted towards the 66 pounds of authorized luggage. Larger than that and they'd be left at the evacuation center with their ten days of food to fly home space available. We also told people their house hold goods and cars would be shipped to them.

#173948 - 05/29/09 07:29 AM Re: Passport Card [Re: Russ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Perfect. The card is a convenience for people who live near the border and travel frequently over it. The card is smaller and less expensive than a traditional passport. Inside the US, one needs no travel documents unless you're operating a motor vehicle.

Passports are superior to state IDs such as driver's licenses (or dependent military IDs) in that they are proof of citizenship. Unlike a birth certificate or certificate of naturalization it also combines proof of citizenship with photo ID. I don't think its essential for people living in the US but it is very powerful and if you don't use it for travel frequently, you can leave it in your bug out kit and rely on having ID if you lose or have to leave your wallet or checkbook.

#173968 - 05/29/09 04:49 PM Re: Passport Card [Re: AROTC]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Great post, thanks.

#173969 - 05/29/09 05:45 PM Re: Passport Card [Re: AROTC]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: AROTC
Inside the US, one needs no travel documents unless you're operating a motor vehicle.

Although we don't require travel documents to travel within the country, many disaster areas will be restricted to residents for a certain time period. A driver's license is probably the easiest, most universally accepted proof of being a resident (in the US) of some disaster area, like after a flood, tornado, wildfire or other calamity.

I remember watching the TV news of a wildfire down here not long ago. People were already at work when the wildfire broke out and lot's of people sped home to gather belongings, get pets, etc. Only residents were allowed back into the threatened neighborhoods because the flames were very close at that point and it was dangerous to be there. When minutes counted, it was easiest to flash the driver's license with your address than to try and scrounge up other documents that have your address on it. For privacy or other reasons, some of us have PO Boxes or other alternate addresses on all of our bills, our driver's license, on the vehicle registration and insurance card which is different from where we actually live. I'm not sure what happened to people at that wildfire who couldn't immediately prove their addresses, but I'm pretty certain they couldn't just drive right in like the others.

There could be curfews within disaster zones, particularly if there are already any problems with security, like reports of looting. If you're stopped by the police, you're probably far less likely to be hassled and grilled if you can prove that you live just a couple blocks down the street than if you live in the next county.

Proving your identity is important, but in some situations, so is proving your residency.

#173973 - 05/29/09 09:34 PM Re: Bugging Out (long) [Re: AROTC]
LED Offline
Veteran

Informative post, thanks AROTC. Considering the constant high state of alert, things would have to be pretty dire for evacuation to be called wouldn't they? I mean, how would they have time to search people's personal bags for example?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.