Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#175 - 10/24/01 03:29 PM Re: Do you carry a kit daily?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks good. I think I would swap a few of those paper clips for a few fishhooks. I think fishing line/spectra line would be a more vestile choice than thread.<br><br>Maybe instead of the wire saw you might think about snare wire or a premade wire snare.<br><br>Looks like you have fire making under control.

#176 - 10/24/01 05:50 PM Re: Do you carry a kit daily?
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks.<br><br>Yeah, the micro-kit definitely does focus on fire. The wire saw is for that. As for the paper clips, for most of my life, I have considered paper clips to be on a par with duct tape and safety pins as the R2-D2's of the real world. They do everything.<br><br>Somewhere, perhaps on this forum, perhaps elsewhere, I once read the following:<br><br>The Priorities:<br>3 weeks without food,<br>3 days without water,<br>3 hours without shelter (in bad weather),<br>3 minutes without air.<br><br>With that in mind, I try to work in "priority order", if you will:<br>Smoke hoods, respirators, gas masks, Spare Airs & HEEDS, and life jackets are for three minute emergencies. Their bulk tends to make them stand alone items that I carry when needed (airplanes, hotels, boats, etc.) for possible air emergencies (drowning, smoke inhalation, etc.), and not part of my small tins.<br>Fire and shelter building materials are for three hour emergencies. That's what I focus on first. The "Tiny Tin" plus whatever weather appropriate clothing I have on or with me may hopefully be suficient for most weather emergencies, since I also always carry a plastic disposable poncho and modified space blanket in the pockets of my coats, jackets and windbreakers.<br>After that, I prepare for water emergencies. Given the size limitations of this tin, I decided to carry only water purification tabs and depend on myself to have, find or make a water container of some sort. Since my recent breakthrough in understanding how to get a useful amount of water into a condom, I may need to look at squeezing one of them into this tin. It's pretty packed already, though... something may have to go. I may not do it. I really want to focus on three hour emergencies with this tin, not three day ones.<br>As for food, I figure if I'm going anywhere far enough from home that I could have a three week emergency, I'll have enough advance preparation to grab my regular Altoids-sized Windmill Lighter tin if nothing else, or else I'll be in my Jeep, so I'll have even more supplies than that. It's difficult to have a genuine food emergency during my daily grind, and the other items would likely be of more vital importance, and sooner.<br><br>My larger kits are more well rounded; the more so the larger they get. With this smallest sized one, well, I mainly just don't want to die of hypothermia before I have time to die of dehydration. ;-)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 464 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.