Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173942 - 05/29/09 02:45 AM do you have mental siege mentality
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

do you feel in a mental siege mentality in this recession? I feel like I have to close down the hatchet for Judgement day.

I am stocking up money, food, resources. I feel really depress. the job market is extremely bad in Canada now . The US down turn has catch up on Canucks.

#173945 - 05/29/09 05:02 AM Re: do you have mental siege mentality [Re: picard120]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Picard, HORSES,HITCHES AND ROCKY TRAILS-The PACKER'S BIBLE by Joe Back is the classic guide to horsepacking.
At the end of his book Joe shared the best knot of all- a simple overhand. He told his readers " When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."

#173951 - 05/29/09 11:48 AM Re: do you have mental siege mentality [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I feel like we are in a sureal atmosphere; the "calm before the storm".

I'm taking advantage of "the calm" to pay off my debts, continuing improving and expanding my preps, and practice many different skills in both the wilderness and urban environments.

There are some pretty astonishing, "jaw dropping" predictions, being made by persons with good track records, for the time period from mid-July thru the end of December of this year.

Based on historical, common known, and human behavior FACTS, I can't find any good news in any arena such as economics, politics, etc, etc.

#173952 - 05/29/09 11:50 AM Re: do you have mental siege mentality [Re: wildman800]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wildman, you have an odd definition of the word "calm". grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#173953 - 05/29/09 11:55 AM Re: do you have mental siege mentality [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I'm just biding my time, waiting for something different to come along. The roller coaster ride has lots of twists and turns.

#173954 - 05/29/09 12:07 PM Re: do you have mental siege mentality [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Blast, I must agree with you, in many respects.

That is why life appears very sureal to me, right now. Many political, economic, and social changes are occurring, under the surface RADAR, at the moment. These changes have not yet slapped the majority of the population in the face. The impact of these policy changes and movements behind the scenes are going to start rearing their ugly heads about mid-July, IMO.

The landscape is going to radically, eventually violently, change in ways that will have direct affects on ALL of us, in this country.

#173966 - 05/29/09 04:11 PM Re: do you have mental siege mentality [Re: NightHiker]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Lets keep the discussion away from politics people. If history teaches anything, it is that change is the only constant and people survived. Slips in an old copy of CONNECTIONS

#173975 - 05/29/09 09:47 PM Re: do you have mental siege mentality [Re: picard120]
LED Offline
Veteran

Actual survival is not the same as maintaining a lifestyle we're used to. If people can survive in Somalia, one of the worst locales on the planet, I'm sure we'll all be okay here in NA.

#173982 - 05/30/09 02:12 AM Re: do you have mental siege mentality [Re: picard120]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
No, I don't feel under siege. I'm throttling back on unnecessary spending and developing a couple of side micro-businesses, but nothing gut wrenching so far. I suspect there's more trouble ahead and I'm keeping a weather eye out for inflation; but there are still plenty of opportunities.

A reality check: in this country, we produce more food than we can eat, we produce more energy than we can burn, our banks are solid, we don't lose our healthcare if we lose a job, and people kinda sorta look out for each other. It's not paradise, and we have lots of tough challenges; but compared to 98% of humans on Earth we are very fortunate, and very blessed.

It's none of my business, picard120, but if you're feeling really depressed all the time, you should talk with a medical doctor. Events in life can send people into a negative spiral that they can't climb out of on their own. It's no more shameful than having a broken leg, and it's just as debilitating.

My $0.02.

#173988 - 05/30/09 04:36 AM Re: do you have mental siege mentality [Re: dougwalkabout]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

'It's none of my business." Now there's a quote many say and few practise. Picard is member of our online community so it is.
I went to our Veteran's Administration some time ago trying to resolve an old service injury. Doctor asks me how I was feeling that day. I said I was deeply depressed over the drawn out handling of my case. Doctor instantly prescribed 500 Valium so I wouldn't have to make return trips to refill the prescription.
I tossed the prescription and 6 months later had my surgery.
Society is funny, and it's a miracle any function at all.
So Picard, have a drink, read some Francois Villon and hang on. You're not alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.