The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#173907 - 05/28/09 02:56 PM Re: Day pack search [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
+1 for the Kelty MAP 3500, I own 3 and its a good pack. The Kelty Redwing is also good, I own several of an earlier variant with an integrated rain cover that comes in handy. Kelty makes pretty good daypacks for the masses, affordable with decent zippers and access and good suspension if your preparations get a little heavy. The Kelty MAP 3500 is great for that, but if you find you have a little less than just about any other quality day pack will do.

#173908 - 05/28/09 03:29 PM Re: Day pack search [Re: Lono]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
Thanks everybody, you have given me a lot of food for thought. Most of your reccommendations fit my needs. Now I will have to make a choice!

#173917 - 05/28/09 08:01 PM Re: Day pack search [Re: KenK]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: KenK
Bigelow Day Pack. I have an earlier version than the one currently sold, and I really like it. Its my "Scoutmaster" pack that carries all sorts of gear during Scout events.

I have the same "Scoutmaster" pack, a couple years old version of the Bigelow. It was put together to carry all the stuff that we feel we have to have when we're playing shepherd for the boys in the wild wink. I leave it in the vehicle all the time now, and it's been a handy supplement to the rest of the gear that's always in the truck. It just reaffirms with my friends that I have a combination hardware / sporting goods store in the back of my truck.

- Ron

#173931 - 05/28/09 11:51 PM Re: Day pack search [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I second the Kelty packs.

If you're looking to stay military (based on your OP), there are the "Bug Out" bags, aka 3-day bags, that are essentially daypacks. Also you can sometimes find "small" ALICE bags that are pseudo-military. Don't forget that there are day packs on the newer MOLLE packs, that are sometimes sold seperately.

Cheaperthandirt.com
actiongear.com

both have a good selection of military gear, though CTD tends to be knock-offs of originals.

#173934 - 05/29/09 12:28 AM Re: Day pack search [Re: ]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I've been eyeing that classic rucksack sold by LL Bean in canvas for a while now.

I think the new, updated models have a few nice refinements. One caution - don't expect the waist belt to shift much off your shoulders onto the hips.

For $39.50 you can't go wrong.

#173936 - 05/29/09 02:01 AM Re: Day pack search [Re: tomfaranda]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Tom, I had some pretty good results way back when with a pistol belt pad on my LLB Ruck's belt. With the newer pads and a couple of MALICE clips or zipties you would probably get a better ride. Heck, you could just cut the belt off at about 3 inches from the bag, stitch a loop, and use a pistol or rigger belt (or just some webbing and an SBR), two alice clips and a pad- I've seen similiar done to put good waist belts onto the SpecOps THE pack, and if pulled tight it doesn't wiggle all that much.

The other nice thing about the Continental Ruck is if you need more space, you can undo the flap straps and run them through the mounting loops for an ALICE or MOLLE buttpack.

Yes, it is a versatile little beast. Mine is still going strong after 15 years.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#173937 - 05/29/09 02:23 AM Re: Day pack search [Re: GauchoViejo]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Start with what size you need ( cubic) and then search for packs in that range. Lots of new, but discounted options at campmor and many used on ebay ( search by specific name of the pack)

#173938 - 05/29/09 02:28 AM Re: Day pack search [Re: TeacherRO]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
I would love to chime in and throw in my 2 cents, but with where I live my idea of a BOB backpack is a Kelty Super Tioga I don't think it would help much.

But trust me, buy Kelty, you can't go wrong.

#173943 - 05/29/09 04:15 AM Re: Day pack search [Re: DannyL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Used to be, back in the 70s and 80, but less so by 2000, that if you wanted a solid day pack you had to but from one of the manufacturers catering to hikers. Often you had to troop down to the local backpacker/outdoors center. If you went to the big box retailers, the Wal-Marts and Targets, for such gear you found only third-rate goods that was suitable only for backyard camping.

Things have changed. Yes, you can still head down to the local outdoor center and invest in a Kelty or Jansport day pack. But you can also find good quality day packs in the local Wal-Mart and Target. Typically they go from $20 for a to $60 depending on what you want. The most expensive one is almost big enough for a serious three day trip if you pack light and it will likely come with a good quality knock-off of a Camelback bladder.

The trick buying a good one is to examine the hell out of it before you buy. The most common defect is sloppy or missing stitching, short seam margins and other pretty easy to spot problems. Odds are the materials are good quality because the cost savings are made on labor not materials. The failures are almost always in how, the amount of care, they put into assembling it. Carefully inspect every seam inch-by-inch. Turn the pack inside out. This is easier if you bring a small flashlight. Give the attachment points a firm yank.

Funny thing is that as long as you don't block the isle and you put everything back in good order most of clerks at the larger retailers are unlikely to object. Reach into the stack and buy one at random and your taking your chances. So dig in and find the most perfect specimen.

You can still buy brand name packs for serious coin if it makes you feel better. But there are good quality day packs available for low prices if your willing to spend time avoiding the duds.

#173944 - 05/29/09 04:44 AM Re: Day pack search [Re: Art_in_FL]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Fabric on cheap packs can be very low quality. Instead of
Cordura Nylon they use a vinyl coated fabric that on the outside
looks like Cordura but has a tenth of the tear strength.
Check to make sure there is a coating not a vinyl laminate
on the inside (wrong side) of the material.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.