The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#174405 - 06/05/09 04:45 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: Lono]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
If there were 4 people on-camera there were at least 40, if not more, off-camera. Remember somebody is shooting the video of the camera crew. There was an ambulance/medevac helo standing by I guarantee you. No production company would take a chance with a celeb of Ferrell's standing otherwise, whether you think he's funny or not. When actors talk about not being allowed to do certain stunts due to "insurance", they're telling the truth. The cost of something going wrong on a film or a television show is way too high to risk these days to let untrained actors do anything really dangerous.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#174421 - 06/05/09 08:47 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: JohnE]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Maybe so, although even with more support people they appeared to do some risky things, unless those were staged. Like the short rope maneuver with Will leading Bear down an icy slope, unless they staged that on the base of a slope it was definitely risky, they were crossing without crampons with a tired non-expert actor across a legitimately icy slope. Maybe Bear had a secret belay on? Who knows.

I could see this level of prep: scout the terrain, and run the sequence of necessary death defying events past Ferrell's people. Will gets a week to practice his repels and belays, and maybe a weekend to march around in the snow during daylight hours. The crew decides what additional safety measures to take so he avoids any obvious and deadly falls. Even then things go wrong - the belay out of the copter sure started out badly.

At minimum you're left with a long weekend trudging through deep snow and with a couple belays thrown in - had to be exciting and exhausting from Ferrell's perspective.

#174427 - 06/06/09 12:15 AM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: Lono]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
It was definitely "interesting" to watch...

It was obvious that they had to set stuff up in advance... They wouldn't take any risk with him.

#174440 - 06/06/09 01:39 PM Re: Man Vs Wild with Will ferrell??? [Re: Mike_H]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Bear said a hunter had left the caribou carcass for them.

The show was entertainment - it wasn't rolling on the floor laughing, but my family enjoyed it well enough.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.