Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#173774 - 05/25/09 06:43 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
the post by Chris about the spear points out the what the perfect fiream is--the biggest you can carry..
my idea of one is a rifle that you can pack away and forget.
an AR-7 with several box's of ammo in a semi-sealed pack that comes out once a year when the rations and batterys in the kit are swapped out seems the way to go.and here i'm talking survival and not bail out with the idea of living in the hills for the rest of your life--or whatever.

#173776 - 05/25/09 07:15 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Even BIG has a point of diminishing return. I was in Alaska, perfectly happy with my Mauser in '06 and 220 grain rounds.

The gunsmith who fitted me out taught me a lot, and one day invited me to shoot a double rifle from his collection- a .500

I felt confident, I had become familiar with .375 H&H rifles and a .54 Hawken and knew how to properly mount a rifle and handle recoil.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! PAINPAINPAINPAIN!!!!!!!

Again, local survial situations dictate the best firearm package-if any. Personally, the continued Urban Assault Vehicle social phenomenon has me missing my most laughed at purchase- a H& R imported Greener harpoon rifle based on the Martini action- the one used in JAWS.

#173783 - 05/25/09 08:42 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
. . .
my idea of one is a rifle that you can pack away and forget.
an AR-7 with several box's of ammo in a semi-sealed pack that comes out once a year when the rations and batterys in the kit are swapped out seems the way to go.and here i'm talking survival and not bail out with the idea of living in the hills for the rest of your life--or whatever.

Henry Survival Rifle (updated AR-7) with ammo and cleaning kit, sealed in plastic, stashed in spare tire well.

#173787 - 05/25/09 09:25 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
bussda Offline
Stranger

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Thompsons a fine weapons system. I owned an older unit with the shotgun/centerfire barrel that became illegal ...

I know there was legal issue regarding Thompson Center a few years ago, but the ones I recommend are currently on the federal level are OK and available in most states. (Thompson won the case.)

#173788 - 05/25/09 09:29 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: Hornfrog]
jasond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
I actually purchased an M-6 when they were still on the market and it is a great little versatile weapon I use it all the time for plinking around. Definately not for big game but I have bagged lots of squirrels and rabbits with this gun.

#173824 - 05/26/09 06:22 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: jasond]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
50 cal hawken carbine flintlock. You can roll your own, including shot loads, squibb loads, and bear killers. In a pinch you can even make your own powder charge, provided you can find the necessary components.

#173828 - 05/26/09 07:17 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
IF I was going to build a combination weapon the shotgun tube would be 28 guage.This under appreciated shell will print as well as a 20 or 12 gauge with far less recoil.
The rifle cartridge would be the .30 US aka .30-40 Krag. This round falls in the lower pressure group but can load the potent 220 grain roundnose ( it's original loading.) for moose & bear.
The .30 Krag is also well known for 'squib load' friendly loading.
The problem, is that today's gunmakers will build actions around cartridges. One of the reasons the litle C 6 went out of production was in fact receiver issues with the .22 Hornet.
Buyers will want familiar cartridges like the .308 and 20-12 gauge. And even if the industry builds what they ask for, a fickle buyer will fail to buy in profitable numbers.

I have a synthetic stocked NEF handi rifle rechambered to 30-40.
6.5lbs with a williams receiver sight.
220g round nose at 2100 fps, 150g at 2700 fps, or 170 grain
cast at 1700 fps.

Remove one screw and replace with 12 gauge
barrel then it's 5 lbs.

Or replace with 223 barrel open
sights youth model, 5.5 lbs.

Sometimes I carry an extra barrel in my pack if I have the
possibility of seeing both mammal and fowl when hunting.
I made a wool sleeve it fits in.

#173855 - 05/27/09 04:48 AM The Perfect Survival Firearm Doesn't Exist [Re: Paul810]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
The perfect survival gun is a bit like the perfect survival knife. It doesn't exist. The perfect survival knife would split hairs and cut down mature oak trees with equal aplomb, but it won't happen. So you either compromise and carry a heavy chopping knife and keep it razor sharp, or you carry a small sharp knife and an ax or machete.

Likewise with a survival gun. You can't kill an elephant and a squirrel with the same weapon. At least, not if you want to have anything meaningful left of the mouse. And evidence suggests that guns aren't the best tool for protecting against a bear either. Furthermore, its a bit difficult to eat an entire deer by yourself without a deep freeze. Even if you set out to smoke the meat, you're looking at lots and lots of work to preserve it all. So the compromise I suggest (for most areas, Africa being the only exception I could think of) is to carry a can of bear spray in an easy to reach holster and a .22 pistol. Bear spray for protection against large animals (I doubt moose or cougars would be thrilled by a snout full of bear spray. In a pinch you could even use it against humans, although I'm not certain of the legality of that course of action. And the .22 for hunting and signaling. You can take down individually wrapped single servings of meat up to animals large enough to feed several, if you're skillful. And if you carry 100 rounds of ammo, you can afford to spend some doing the three shots regularly timed in short succession is a distress signal thing and still have enough to feed yourself with out breaking your back with the weight.

The bear spray and .22 pistol is a lighter more compact weapon. The extra weight is pretty small, and its not long and cumbersome to carry. Finally, it has the benefit of being easier to shoot while injured than a long gun. You can fire it one handed or while sitting or leaning in an awkward position.

On the other hand, like a survival knife, a survival gun is the gun you have with you when you're surviving. So if you regularly conceal carry a 9mm or .45 you should starting thinking about what you could hunt with it and how. If you're hunting deer what else can you take with your rifle, what other ammo should you carry to take down different game?

#173880 - 05/27/09 10:31 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm Doesn't Exist [Re: AROTC]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

as long as we are back to pistols i'll ask again..has anyone see a 22 with a long barrel like Iver Johnson made back in the 50's 60's??..sort of looked like a starter gun with a foot long barrel--cheap enought to put into a kit and keep it there for survival use only--after you have done some practice with it of course--seems like the way to go..

#173882 - 05/27/09 11:53 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm Doesn't Exist [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I've several M6's in both .22lr/.410 and .22hornet/.410. one Save 24 .22lr/.410. 5 Savage 24C's .22lr/20gauge, one with a matching set of .22mag/20gauge barrels. I guess you could say I live the combo guns. smile
My favorite is the Savage 24C with the sets of barrels. That 24C is my go to camping gun and one of the guns in my emergency bag.
Add in my woodsEDC 686 plus .357 and I am very comfortable East of the Mississippi.

I am looking for a Savage 24 in .22 hornet/.410

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.