The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173764 - 05/25/09 05:25 PM "Crisis Spurs Spike In Suburban Survivalists"
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Interesting article. Lots of fodder for discussion here.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98DCLJG0&show_article=1

Crisis spurs spike in 'suburban survivalists'

...they are mostly urban professionals with mortgages, SUVs, solid jobs and a twinge of embarrassment about their newfound hobby.

...The surge in interest in emergency stockpiling has been a bonanza for camping supply companies and military surplus vendors, some of whom report sales spikes of up to 50 percent.

...Those preparing for the worst echo those thoughts and say learning to be self sufficient makes them feel more in control amid mounting uncertainty—even if it seems crazy to their friends and families.

...The niche Web site SurvivalBlog.com has seen its page views triple in the past 14 months

#173770 - 05/25/09 06:04 PM Re: "Crisis Spurs Spike In Suburban Survivalists" [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I foresee two benefits for "us."

1. Stimulating peoples' interest in preparedness is generally a good thing.

2. When most of those people lose interest as the economy cycles up again, I'm thinking there's gonna be some wicked good garage sale bargains out there!

#173772 - 05/25/09 06:17 PM Re: "Crisis Spurs Spike In Suburban Survivalists" [Re: Jeff_M]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Everytime we have an earthquake ( and there have been several lately) people rush out and buy the car kits with boxes of water, a space blanket and cheap flashlight. Most of them sit in the trunks forgotten, mere placebo. The news stations again remind people of the need for an emergency kit while covering stories of 'survivalists.' Local companies sell assembled 'kits' who's only updates are naming them for the latest apocayptic event including the lakers losing.
What are you going to do? Just smile and be helpfull to people who 'get religion.'

#173798 - 05/26/09 04:48 AM Re: "Crisis Spurs Spike In Suburban Survivalists" [Re: ]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I really need to start making money in survival instead of spending it.

If anyone wants plans for my dumpster fruitcake gigging spear just send $5 to..........

#173801 - 05/26/09 06:04 AM Re: "Crisis Spurs Spike In Suburban Survivalists" [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A friend and I thought about ways to make money teaching the things we love, the whole range of pioneer skills, to people who were willing to pay.

But looking into it as a business proposition, the cost of liability insurance and the general hassle and B.S. took the fun -- and profit -- right out of it. Nice to think about, though.

Some folks have found a different niche. This made me LMAO:

"Tents with Wi-Fi? Yurts and wine tastings? Call it recession luxe. Resorts, campgrounds and luxury 'camps' are bringing creature comforts to the great outdoors."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/roughing-it-hardly/article1143569/

#173805 - 05/26/09 01:25 PM Re: "Crisis Spurs Spike In Suburban Survivalists" [Re: dougwalkabout]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
"Tents with Wi-Fi? Yurts and wine tastings? Call it recession luxe. Resorts, campgrounds and luxury 'camps' are bringing creature comforts to the great outdoors."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/roughing-it-hardly/article1143569/

Yep, "glamping."

I'd be all for Wi-Fi in the campgrounds we frequent.

We could camp more if I could e-mail work.

#173816 - 05/26/09 05:16 PM Re: "Crisis Spurs Spike In Suburban Survivalists" [Re: Jeff_M]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann

2. When most of those people lose interest as the economy cycles up again, I'm thinking there's gonna be some wicked good garage sale bargains out there!

Along this vein, I'm thinking there will definitely be some good sales on ammo in a couple of years. Here in the west, people are buying up every box the stores get the same day the stores get it!!

Sure we'd all like to have 15-20,000 rounds of ammo smile but at what point does it get ridiculous?

#173819 - 05/26/09 05:28 PM Re: "Crisis Spurs Spike In Suburban Survivalists" [Re: dougwalkabout]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> Tents with Wi-Fi? Yurts and wine tastings?

Sounds like Burning Man.

#173833 - 05/26/09 08:56 PM Re: "Crisis Spurs Spike In Suburban Survivalists" [Re: dougwalkabout]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I have a program out here that I run. It's "Basics of Firearms". I market it to executives of large companies. My instructors are all combat vets with 15+ years experience in weapons and tactics. None of them are more than 24 months past their last actual firefight.

They get basic handling, safety, and operation instructions, and then a trip to the live-fire range where they get to handle, load, unload and fire the:

- RUGER 10/22 and/or Marlin 60
- Winchester 94 in 30-30
- Various Scoped Hunting Rifles in 7mm and 30-06.
- Remington 870 with shot, buckshot and slug
- Mossberg 500 with shot, buckshot and slug
- AK47 (actually SK47, it's Semi-Auto)
- M16
- Ruger SP101
- Glock 19 and/or 17
- Class 5 guns as we can get them. (M5, Tec9, Uzi, etc.)

After that it's dinner and a night at a local B&B if they want it.

Expensive, exclusive and fantastic.

Edited by martinfocazio (05/27/09 11:07 AM)
Edit Reason: Ruger not remington...geeze.

#173835 - 05/26/09 11:25 PM Re: "Crisis Spurs Spike In Suburban Survivalists" [Re: MartinFocazio]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Nicely done.

The bonus is that, unless you goof up royally, you're pretty safe against lawsuits. No CEO is going to admit publicly that he shot his own toes off. :-)

Now you need to add a "Homesteader Hell Weekend" where they fell trees, buck up and split wood, burn brush, plant survival gardens, and practice wilderness first aid. All for a price of course. Now if you could only think of a suitable location ... hmmm ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.