The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#173748 - 05/25/09 03:35 AM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: Hornfrog]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
with all the interest in survival these days you would think that someone would come out with the "perfect" survival rifle. a quick look thru the shotgun news and i can find a dozen m-16 clones but folding or breakdown multi caliber weapons are thin on the ground..

#173751 - 05/25/09 05:21 AM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: CANOEDOGS]
sotto Offline
Addict

My fav survival gun is a Beeman .20 cal R7 spring piston air rifle. Everyday, I can walk out the side door of my house and there are 40 or 50 fat pigeons sitting about 25 yards away up on the power line that runs over the street. I figure the pigeons will taste a lot better than the 30 or 40 crows and about the same number of sea gulls that also sit on the same power line with the pigeons. The gun is for all practical purposes, nearly silent, particularly if I shoot from behind the 7 foot high stone wall that runs along side my house and makes a perfect bench rest for the power line.

I probably have 5000 rounds of H+N Target wadcutters stored in a little coffee can along with the rifle.

Oh, and I also have the .22/410 version of the M6, but for some reason, I have a very tiny bit of barrel looseness that I need to have fixed. For that gun, I have a whole lot of low velocity, low noise .22 CB long ammo.

#173755 - 05/25/09 10:21 AM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Hornfrog Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Yes, it is boring and unimaginative in the extreme to see all the “M-16” clones out there. There seems to be an inordinate amount of interest in military type weapons or at least military looking weapons. This is fueling the design and production of so many firearms it is impossible to keep up. So, I don’t even try. It must be some kind of macho thing for those worried about their manliness who get some kind of rush from the Rambo inspired ripping loose in wasteful nonproductive full auto. Having done my military service some time ago, I well know the life of the soldier and fully realize it is for very young men and by that I mean, no one over 35 should apply! If you have gotten that far along in life you ought to be happy to enjoy peaceful pursuits that are more satisfying and just as exciting in a completely different way. I don’t want a combo firearm to look like some black “tactical” weapon. I want a well designed, practical, useful, adventuring/hunting firearm. Surely there is a market for such a thing!

Online I was observing different models of inexpensive 22 rifles just to see the different types of actions all ready in production. The Marlin 981T, at the bottom cost-wise, a completely utilitarian tube fed, bolt action (still black, though!) 22 caliber, anything goes plinker-hunter that any 15 year old kid in the 60s would have been thrilled to own. Why wouldn’t that action work with a single shot shotgun combo? If the barrel lengths were kept to 18 ˝ inches it would present a triple tube configuration which would be odd to most but very functional. The final product does not in my opinion have to look like any previously designed military type weapon. It only has to work well and not be too heavy to always hang it on my shoulder when I go into the bush. Is that too much to ask?

#173759 - 05/25/09 01:03 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: Hornfrog]
HerbG Offline

#173763 - 05/25/09 05:17 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: HerbG]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My farrier came back from his annual elk hunt REALLY upset. Somehow he arrived back home in Idaho with his .30-06 but no ammunition. No problem, one of the arguments for using .30-06 etc is commonality of ammunition. OH? He went to every retail store and THEY WERE SOLD OUT.It was elk season after all!
Of course, the Venezuelan mauser in 7x57 ( stoned 2 stage trigger, Lyman 48 peep site, Bishop stock) I gifted his daughter as starter rifle was fed with two dusty boxes of 174 grain reading PETERS AMMUNITION nobody wanted filled both their tags.
A survival firearm, or any firearm should always have a minimum supply on hand. I'm not suggesting the 5000 round bunker paranoia, or trading bricks of .22 in a post apocalyptic scenario for gold soveriegns and lima beans.
Just get the caliber YOU like and buy ammo for it.
Oh, my farrier was also upset because NOBODY would share or sell even 5 rounds. It seems he rented a car with California plates, came back to find the tailamps smashed out and go home! With expletives written in lipstick. I asked him why Idaho elk hunters use lipstick and if californians were missing something? :O)

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/25/09 05:21 PM)

#173765 - 05/25/09 05:25 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Until another combination firearm comes along,Just carry what many people have. A decent single shot shotgun and a handgun in .22 or even .32 magnum combination are still a handy package.
I often carried a K 22 5 screw and and Winchester single in 28. Then somebody mentioned both were highly desireable and I sold them like an idjit.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/25/09 05:28 PM)

#173767 - 05/25/09 05:37 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: Hornfrog]
bussda Offline
Stranger

Loc: California
Check out Thompson Center. They make the Contender and Encore. Frame is basic, but you choose the caliber (.22LR to .45-70 or 20 ga.). Contender can do rimfire also. Encore is centerfire only. They are available in rifle or pistol versions. And you can get black powder versions as well. Meets most of your requirements except for autoloading/bolt action. They are single shot only.

Biggest problem: it can be a bit pricey.

Be careful of the laws though. Short barrel (less then 16", 18" shotgun) on rifle stocked or registered frame is Federal Felony. California laws are different, so exercise more caution there.

I am not affiliated with Thompson Center Arms, and it is owned by Smith and Wesson.

#173769 - 05/25/09 06:02 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: bussda]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thompsons a fine weapons system. I owned an older unit with the shotgun/centerfire barrel that became illegal :O( Again, my critique of combination firearms or interchangeable barrels is actual field use. It takes an expert wingman, which I am not, to swing those clumsier combos well. And inevitably One is all set to pop a rabbit and a Tyrannosaurus Rex pops up instead and eats you while trying to switch the firing pin,barrel or squib to stopping round.And then there are the pagan biker gangs to consider.

It's an old dilemna. A irish warrior went out with his lighter hunting spear. his wife begged him to take the heavier war spear after a prophetic dream of his death in battle. He didn't, and was killed by his enemies.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/25/09 06:09 PM)

#173771 - 05/25/09 06:05 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Yep. And how are they against zombies?

Edited by Jeff_McCann (05/25/09 06:05 PM)

#173773 - 05/25/09 06:19 PM Re: The Perfect Survival Firearm [Re: Jeff_M]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Zombies are easy. You just hold up an autographed photo of Michael Jackson and they all start genuflecting.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.