Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#152519 - 10/20/08 06:41 PM Re: Survival Knife [Re: Nishnabotna]
Air_Pirate Offline
It looked easier on TV!
Journeyman

Loc: Memphis, TN
I didn't have any problems with opening and closing the Paraframe. My problem with it came from the fact that the screws that hold the handle together kept loosening up during everyday use which wasn't extreme at all.

#152599 - 10/21/08 01:40 AM Re: Survival Knife [Re: ]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Yes, if the screws keep coming loose on the handle, that is boring ...

#152617 - 10/21/08 05:53 AM Re: Survival Knife [Re: tomfaranda]
Brandon Offline
Stranger

Loc: Arizona
You should always carry two knives, A small one and a medium/large one. They both need to be able to interchange when the other is dull or damaged. The small knife is a folder, preferably in a multitool platform such as a leatherman or Swiss army knife, though many get along fine with plain pocket knives. The second Knife is a fixed knife or a large folder, 3-5 inches long. I prefer carbon steel. The most demanding use of a woods knife will be skinning game, from squirrels to elk. For this, 2 knives will come in handy, when one gets dull or chipped. If a knife does well cleaning game, then it will be just fine for camp needs, like basic whittling. Even very small knives like Swiss army knives, can skin big game well. These are the only knives you need to carry, but I like a large machete type knife for camp work. Mainly clearing brush and making trails.

#152638 - 10/21/08 11:30 AM Re: Survival Knife [Re: GreyWolf]
RichInChrist Offline
Stranger

Loc: Upstate NY (Adirondack Wildern...
I carry an LM Charge TTi on person ALWAYS and carry a Benchmade RSK 1, as well, if far from home.

I am not a fan of HUGE fixed blades, so my choices there Cold Steel's SRK (in the car) and the "short" KA-BAR (in my bindle).

An Estwing all-steel camper's axe serves for heavier chopping duties, though I prefer SAWING where possible. I have used the "Pocket Chain Saw" quite a bit and give it high praise, by the way:

http://www.equipped.org/saws.htm

My recommendation for a really big blade is to go with a Kukri. Ontario, Ka-Bar and Cold Steel all have pretty robust offerings. For some interesting reads, see:

http://www.m4040.com/Knifemaking/REVIEWS/BladeEvals.htm

and

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Ghurka/Khukri%20Modification.htm

#153207 - 10/25/08 07:24 PM Re: Survival Knife [Re: RichInChrist]
Crogan Offline

Maybe I'm paranoid but..... grin grin grin Everyday carry is a Leatherman Charge TI, and a Swissarmy Adventurer clipped in my pocket, and a A.G.Russel field scapel around my neck. I also wear a vest with many pockets when ever I'm out for more then a quick trip containing a Benchmade 550, Leatherman Skeletool, Inova flashlight, a Pelican flashlight, spare lighter, and a few waterproof matches, and a small first aid kit and a compass.
Camping I add a modified Ontario Rat-7, as well as a Fallkniven Frej, and a Grandfor Bruk Wilderness Hatchet, and a Gerber folding saw. I've never had a situation arrive where I found myself needing one more knife then what I had. cool

#153208 - 10/25/08 08:24 PM Re: Survival Knife [Re: Crogan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Hey Crogan, I was wondering if you finally just walked off into the mountains! Will you be back in Houston for the Rodeo?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#153237 - 10/26/08 12:05 AM Re: Survival Knife [Re: Blast]
Crogan Offline

Not yet I haven't but the temptation has to be fought everyday. I won't be there this year, I'm actually in the middle of school to get my machinist ticket. Figured the only way I was going to find the things a wanted was to get into a trade where I can make then myself. How have you been? You, Clark, and Doc been down every trail in south Texas yet? I was wondering about you when the hurricane was hitting down there in Sept. Hope you and the family are all good. Promise to keep in better touch with you. Cheers

#153254 - 10/26/08 01:25 AM Re: Survival Knife [Re: Blast]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Crogan, what sort of "mods" have you done to your RAT-7 if you don't mind me asking.

John E.

Edited by JohnE (10/26/08 01:25 AM)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#153276 - 10/26/08 07:41 AM Re: Survival Knife [Re: GreyWolf]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
If you can obtain one buy a Fallkniven. F1, A1 or S1.

User opinion is very good indeed.

If your strictly U.S. market then a Cold Steel Master Hunter or a Buck 692t.

#153281 - 10/26/08 11:39 AM Re: Survival Knife [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Crogan Offline

First thing I did was sand off the powdery coating, then with a hacksaw and a belt sander I reworked the end of the blade effectively turning it into a bowie style blade. Few more hours at the sander and I'd revamped the handle more to my liking. After I was finished I went over it with some 1200 grit sandpaper then some steel wool, and finally cold blueing it as its only protective coating. Made a new leather sheath for it and voila.... A perfect Rat-7 for me and my preferences. Almost every blade I own has had some kind of modification to it in order for it to better suit my tastes and style.

I'll put a bunch of my modified knives together for a group photo tomorrow so you can see what posiblities there are. I'd be more then happy to answer any questions about any of the mods I've done.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.