Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#172773 - 05/05/09 05:16 PM Re: Teaching Survival to Kids [Re: KenK]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
KenK,

I hear your pain... I just had an outdoor skills weekend with the Scouts this past weekend. Mind you, we are all adults in the training.

Well, one of the presenters was talking about backpacking. He had a good assortment of gear and fully understood the choice of proper fabrics and not becoming a "smellable" for bear and keeping food in a bear bag. Afterwards, I asked him what he carried on his person, hoping he would state some survival gear. Nope... nada... Mostly just a map and compass, the rest being in his bag, not even matches. I asked him what would happen if he lost his pack. He went on about the buddy system and that he would be able to navigate with the compass, yada yada yada.

I was just amazed at how little survival training plays out in the scouts. You would think it should be part of training, but it really isn't.

Needless to say, the members of my "patrol" were impressed at what I had in the pockets of my switchbacks.

Mike
ASM - Officially trained... finally!

#172785 - 05/05/09 07:46 PM Re: Teaching Survival to Kids [Re: KenK]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
We get the same silliness up here that Knives are a weapon not a tool that can be misused. Anytime you can teach basic self reliance youth seem to respond well as a group and getting them to be responsible for there own packing and preparing in just excellent training.
boreal.net

#173625 - 05/21/09 03:05 AM Re: Teaching Survival to Kids [Re: KenK]
Tia Offline
Stranger

I know this conversation's last week's news, but I had to comment! Don't know if homeschooling has anything to do with being sheltered, ROFL. You should see our gals in trees. Lighting fires. Cooking. Anyway, I work with one cluster of two GS troops and another with four GS troops, all homeschooled -- and have concluded that maybe some of the girls have no nerve endings. Yep. That's gotta be it! One family had to have two experiences with hypothermia to really get it. WET JEANS = NO FUN. NO RAIN GEAR = LOUSY TIME. Now I'm requiring Pack Check. Let's see if they bring it all tomorrow or not! Since I've hit the thrift shops with them twice, raided my own closet, and hit Freecycle for them, they'd BETTER BE PREPARED. All I've got to say for tonight. Cross your fingers if you're reading this.

PS: my canoe instructor told me, not two weeks ago, what to do when scouts bring Crocs or flip-flops boating (after you've told them not to and made appropriate gear FREE or cheaply available through various means). He said "duct tape their shoes on. Only takes one time. 'specially if they have hairy feet."

#173634 - 05/21/09 08:59 AM Re: Teaching Survival to Kids [Re: Tia]
joost Offline
Stranger

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Tia
what to do when scouts bring Crocs or flip-flops boating

To be fair, crocs were actually originally developed for boating: non-marking and grippy soles. They look hideous, were possibly one of the most over-hyped products in recent memory and all the nonsense models were truly for suckers, but the original crocs aren't a bad product really.

I used to be a sailing instructor and flip-flops on boats really is a recipe for disaster.

#173635 - 05/21/09 10:42 AM Re: Teaching Survival to Kids [Re: joost]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: joost
...flip-flops on boats really is a recipe for disaster.
Probably weren't appropriate for a ponyride in old Florida, either. grin

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.