Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#173546 - 05/19/09 09:05 PM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: Blast]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I put an equivalent Harbor freight cell for trickle charging the generator battery and it has worked great for years now, I randomly check it and it fires right up. These go on sale from time to time down to $9.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44768

#173547 - 05/19/09 09:42 PM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: falcon5000]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Lots of excellent comments above.

I have a couple of PV-solar/battery/inverter setups, one for my bare-bones office upstairs and one for a cabin on my property.

Some random observations:

- I find 45-60W of generation and a 60Ahr battery the minimum practical configuration for daily use. You can get by on a lot less for lighting only (esp. LEDs!) but if you want to power tiny fans or laptops, don't go small.

- You can scrounge efficient 12VDC mini-fans from the power supplies of old desktop PCs. Wire two in series and connect to a battery; they move just enough air to be useful.

- It's much cheaper, per watt, to buy discrete components these days (inverters and deep-cycle batteries) than to get all-in-one units like Xantrex (though I have had good luck with their products).

- Gel-cell batteries can be stored/used inside safely, because they don't normally vent. But be cautious in freezing climates: you can't charge a gel-cell when it's frozen.

- It's cheaper to spend money on super-efficient appliances than to add extra generation capacity (for photovoltaic setups anyway).

- Wal-Mart in Canada has just started stocking inexpensive LED bulbs, both 120VAC and 12VDC. I bought a number of them, and based on a couple weeks' use, I'm quite impressed. My office/computer desk now consumes 2W for lighting, and if I need to I can power these off-grid indefinitely. The brand is "Lights of America" (no affiliation). [EDIT: prices in CAD: 8.50 for 1 and 1.5 watt bulbs, 10.00 for 2 watt, 14.50 for 3.5 watt, 30.00 for 3 x 2 watt linkable pucks and 5 watt singles.]

- If you have a photovoltaic/battery setup, you're flying blind without a multimeter (and taking chances without a charge controller). I do like benjammin's idea of a headlight in series as a field expedient charge indicator; though I don't think it would work with PV panels.

Good luck!
Doug

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/19/09 10:03 PM)

#173559 - 05/20/09 02:39 AM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: dougwalkabout]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I'd also look into some of outdoor solar powered lights, with a bit of ingenuity they can easily be adapted to work as emergency indoor lights in the case of a power outage.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#173561 - 05/20/09 03:00 AM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: JohnE]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: JohnE
I'd also look into some of outdoor solar powered lights, with a bit of ingenuity they can easily be adapted to work as emergency indoor lights in the case of a power outage.

I've actually considered that. My local hardware store has a set of 6 for 29.99 and I've thought about trying them.

#173563 - 05/20/09 03:47 AM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Can't beat em for the price. I wouldn't want to read "War and Peace" using one but it couldn't hurt in an emergency.

The type with the solar cell on an extension are easy enough to rig up.

I've seen some where each light has their own cell, shouldn't be too hard to hack into them and run some wire to get the cell outside and the light inside.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#173575 - 05/20/09 10:45 AM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: JohnE]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: JohnE
I've seen some where each light has their own cell, shouldn't be too hard to hack into them and run some wire to get the cell outside and the light inside.

I was thinking of the ones that have the spike to stick them in the ground.

A small base with some Styrofoam in it, and instant lamp!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.