Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#173407 - 05/17/09 03:05 PM Kestrel Wetaher Meters
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I'm thinking of buying a Kestrel meter for fun. I have hard time calibrating things in the past that's why my Sunntos went to Ebay.

1)Does anyone have one and how do you like it?

2)Do they have to be calibrated and if yes what is the frequency?

#173440 - 05/18/09 06:16 AM Re: Kestrel Wetaher Meters [Re: Polak187]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
I have a Kestrel 4000 and I love it, it is a great device and is as accurate as one can expect from a handheld weather meter.

I had heard over the years how inaccurate and finicky handheld weather meters can be, primarily stories of off the wall RH readings. Historically this has been true, especially at lower RH values. However, with the Kestrel I have found that the RH values have always been within 1-2% of values I would get with a sling psychrometer and tables. While at extreme low RH values, a few percent difference can mean a huge difference in fire behavior, I have come to question which is more accurate a hand spun psychrometer and a tired firefighter reading a paper table full of tiny numbers, or a quality weather meter like a Kestrel?

As for calibration, I do calibrate my meter every year in April and after every deployment. It requires a calibration kit and being left for hours in enclosed containers, it is pretty simple to do. Most people only caibrate it once a year if that often... and they remain accurate.

Oh, and they make any other weather meter I have seen on the market (in the same price range and size) look like a toy in comparison.

#173457 - 05/18/09 03:45 PM Re: Kestrel Wetaher Meters [Re: Polak187]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
What do you want it to do?

I was looking for a device that would give me the minimum temperature - so I can know how cold it got overnight ... while I am camping.

I looked at the Kestrel devices first, but couldn't find any indication that those provide minimum/maximum temperature, so I looked elsewhere.

I ended up buying a Brunton ADC Wind, which captures hourly temperatures for the last 24 hours - just what I wanted. It also provides wind speed and related info, though I haven't a clue how accurately it records it.

Overall the ADC Wind is OK. Its interface is not the most obvious. I wish it provided a little more "in-device" guidance for someone who isn't a frequent user.

I also wish the ADC Wind had come in some kind of case. It turned out that the nylon sack my Rittergrip came in exactly fits the ADC Wind. Sweet!

#173483 - 05/18/09 09:54 PM Re: Kestrel Wetaher Meters [Re: Alan_Romania]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Thanks man. Good stuff here.

#173484 - 05/18/09 09:56 PM Re: Kestrel Wetaher Meters [Re: KenK]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

I just want wind spee prior to climbing and temp readings are always nice... This is mostly going to be a reference toy for myself on different climbing/hiking trips. I looked at Bruntons on REI but they got horrible reviews.

#173488 - 05/18/09 10:17 PM Re: Kestrel Wetaher Meters [Re: Polak187]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I have a kestrel 4500, and it's the only weather instrument I've ever had. I've been to Burning Man for 13 years, and I've always wanted to know how fast the wind was. :->

The manuals for the Kestrel products are online at
http://www.nkhome.com/support/pdfs.html
and I recommend reading them if you're considering one of the meter.

Calibration is covered at
https://www.nkhome.com/ww/calibration_field.html

The 4500 has a memory, so you can set it to check on temp, wind, etc. at specific intervals and write them to memory for later download to your computer. Check the Kestrel site for manuals and see if they'll do what you want.

I don't bother storing stuff or saving conditions to memory. It's nice to know that it's 107 when I think it's hot or that it's blowing 15 MPH, when I think it's 40 MPH. :->

#173497 - 05/19/09 12:03 AM Re: Kestrel Wetaher Meters [Re: philip]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Thank you good man. I'm probably going to go with Kestrel 2500 new or someting better if I can find them used. I just want to replace term "damn breezy" with "no it is 10 MPH" smile

#173567 - 05/20/09 04:24 AM Re: Kestrel Wetaher Meters [Re: Polak187]
jeffparson Offline
Stranger

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.