Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173552 - 05/20/09 12:47 AM And after it's filtered
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was working for an english mechanic based on my ability to recognise whitworth spanners and knowing how to drive non synchro gearboxes and repair Lucas electrics with an irish screwdriver.
One day a Jaguar 3.8 saloon was towed in with the front bumper and grill mangled. The owner, an older lady was telling my boss David about the SUV that backed up at the bank drive through window when a grumble followed by a huge bird shadow came from above. It was one of the spanish
built Hienkle 111s passing low enroute to Van Nuys AP for the weekend airshow. She lost it, shaking her fist skyward, crying and swearing about nazis, food rationing and father gone 6 years overseas in Africa. I had been brewing 'a cuppa' of Earl Grey from my cobbled tea mess and brought the old Brown Betty Sadler outside. The result was beyond any opiate.
I was recently reading yet another set of studies; one praising and the other condemning caffeine. So, I thought we could discuss what we do after the suicidal moths, polywogs and invisible thingies are filtered, boiled and chemically removed from water.
Most popular are coffee,tea,cocoa a dehydrated soup or even basic bullion broth.So, what is caffeine? it's actually a organic pesticide some plants produce. And it's also consumed in one form or another by @ 90% of us. Thankfully, the FDA has declared it a food or the unofficial #1 cash crop of California would be abandoned.
Actual caffeine content is dependant on many variables and even method of measure. Drip seems to be 115-175 MG ( 8 oz) brewed 80-135 and instant 65-100. Black teas come in @ 60, green tea and cocoa 15.
And it takes at least more than 20-30 of the stuff to have any effect at all, one that actually doesn't happen until an average of 30 minutes, at least in theory, that first morning sip is doing something!
And the belief coffee is diuretic seems to be false, with most drinkers building up a tolerance to what is really a negligable effect.You do not get dehydrated drinking coffee.
I am by prejudice ignoring the many sodas and energy drinks.
These are what first time park visitors, (like the tourists I horsepacked into one backcountry vacation) ask for the location of a vending machine. You know, the one that would need 30 miles of electrical cord?

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/20/09 12:59 AM)

#173557 - 05/20/09 02:35 AM Re: And after it's filtered [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

The Brits tend to 'put on the pot' at the first sign of trouble. Having a hot cup of tea at hand is considered to be a step in the right direction in any situation. There is a lot to be said for that view. Starting a critical situation well hydrated, warmed up, both physically and mentally stimulated, but relaxed is good.

I drink tea but, unless there is reason to think I should sleep, I generally go for a cup, or three, of good strong coffee. So, in my case, if a situation rolls around, my first thought is to put on a pot of coffee. I'm not picky about type. Generic coffee is fine and drinking it black is the only way to go. Cream and sugar are for people who would rather be drinking a milkshake.

#173564 - 05/20/09 04:06 AM Re: And after it's filtered [Re: Art_in_FL]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
coffee is a drug inflicted on us by the masters of the industral revolution to get us away from the mug of beer that was the workers AM wake-up for centurys.coffee and the clock turned us into the assembly line drones we have become.
i still have my old Scot Grannys--rest her soul--Brown Betty that she used for company.other wise she boiled her loose tea in a small pot that never seemed to leave the stove top except to be rinsed..not washed..the only coffee worth drinking is made in a Chemex and i very-very seldom drink coffee out of the house.
a few times a year i get a hankering for C-ration coffee which was still avalible in the older MRE's..the brown packs that i saved out of several cases of MRE's that i broke down for canoe tripping back in the 80's.a few of the old packs go out on the canoe path as back-up's in case my fresh ground Peaberry runs out after a couple weeks..lake water from the highlands of the Hudsons Bay watershead makes the best coffee,it runs over the Shield Rock and thru the caribou moss..even although i have to carry the weight over the Devils Cascade portage i still bring a few gallons of that water back from every canoe trip..
what a hack this post is..i need a cup of coffee--

#173571 - 05/20/09 05:23 AM Re: And after it's filtered [Re: Art_in_FL]
LED Offline
Veteran

Ever since I can remember, coffee (percolated and drip) was a permanent fixture in the house. "Lets sit down and have a cup of coffee," or "I'll put on a pot of coffee" was something I heard all the time growing up. Gives me warm memories just thinking about it. Coffee in the morning and black tea in the afternoon and I'm happier than a pig in s##t.

#173573 - 05/20/09 05:55 AM Re: And after it's filtered [Re: LED]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm expecting 'our man at Starbucks' will contribute eventually.
Drinks, hot or cold have long been used to mask unpleasant tasting water.In fact, that other beverage mentioned above, beer, was invented in modern day Iraq because even then water could be dangerous to drink. We've been experimenting ever since, from pine needle tea to something called 'smart water' apparently favoured by cyclists. At $5 a bottle locally, the Lance Armstrong wannabees don't SEEM any smarter. At least judging by the near misses by our 12 speed cavaliers vs SUVs mutually ignoring the local STOP acronyms.

The sad reality is virtually the entire planetary water supply is compromised in some way. It will be a worldwide geopolitical issue in coming decades long after the renewable fuel issue is a historical paragraph.

And these drinks all have a rich social history from buttered tea served by tibetan lamas to Buckingham Palace, even 'on the trail' or in a basecamp.SAKS have a corkscrew, but those can openers probably open as many cans of coffee.

Here is a quizz. What german scientist discovered caffeine( not the peoples who first gave us coffee, just it's chemical properties) and what other vital compound found in another famous drink?

My favourite knife for opening coffeecans is the p 38.

#173579 - 05/20/09 01:48 PM Re: And after it's filtered [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
While I will most any of the hot beverages listed above, I am basically a tea man. My favorite non-store is Russian Samovar available through Kobuk Coffee in Anchorage, AK. When it comes to coffee I do like the Peaberry mentioned above. Which, by the way, is the only coffee I prefer unadulterated. Sorry Art, while I will drink coffee straight up I do much prefer the "milkshake". When it comes to everyday tea I like Salada. OH, one other thing. Have ever taken a cup of black coffee and put anywhere from 5-10 drops of Tabasco in it? Sounds weird, tastes great.

Standard Disclaimer applies......

2 cents and so forth..

Now, let's brew something hot!!

#173587 - 05/20/09 05:12 PM Re: And after it's filtered [Re: MoBOB]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

4 Seasons, Oak Norton's website for SPRAKLITES sells a powdered mulled cider drink that is excellent. TANG is good hot too.
While food isn't high ( initially) on a survival list the psychological benefits of small comforts and the familiar are under appreciated.

#173596 - 05/20/09 08:48 PM Re: And after it's filtered [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh

Here is a quizz. What german scientist discovered caffeine( not the peoples who first gave us coffee, just it's chemical properties) and what other vital compound found in another famous drink?

Quote:
Friedrich (or Friedlieb/Friedlob) Ferdinand Runge (born near Hamburg on 8 February 1795, died in Oranienburg on 25 March 1867) was a German analytical chemist.

Runge conducted chemical experiments from a young age, serendipitously identifying the mydriatic effects of belladonna (deadly nightshade) extract.

In 1819, Runge was given a box of Arabian mocha beans by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Goethe asked Runge to analyze the beans. It was from this sample that Runge isolated the world's first sample of pure caffeine. A few months later, Runge identified caffeine.

Quote:
His chemical work included purine chemistry, the discovery of caffeine, the blue dye aniline, coal tar products (and a large number of substances that derive from coal tar), paper chromatography, pyrrole, chinoline, phenol, thymole and atropine.

Quote:
Phenol has antiseptic properties, and was used by Sir Joseph Lister (1827–1912) in his pioneering technique of antiseptic surgery, though the skin irritation caused by continual exposure to phenol eventually led to the substitution of aseptic (germ-free) techniques in surgery. Lister decided that the wounds themselves had to be thoroughly cleaned. He then covered the wounds with a piece of "rag" or "lint"[8] covered in carbolic acid. It is also the active ingredient in some oral analgesics such as Chloraseptic spray. Phenol was also the main ingredient of the Carbolic Smoke Ball, a device marketed in London in the 19th century as protecting the user against influenza and other ailments.

Runge Reference

Phenol Reference

Coffee has a long and interesting history. Especially as an alternative to English tea.

#173602 - 05/20/09 09:45 PM Re: And after it's filtered [Re: stevenpd]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I believe Runge also identified Quinine, that most pleasant of malaria deterrents mixed with gin.

#173629 - 05/21/09 03:18 AM Re: And after it's filtered [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I believe Runge also identified Quinine, that most pleasant of malaria deterrents mixed with gin.

Quote:
Quinine may be familiar to you if you drink gin and tonic or perhaps vodka and tonic. This is because quinine is in the tonic and gives it that bitter taste. It is a white powder that is obtained from the bark of the cinchona tree that is found in the Andes mountain range of Ecuador and Peru. Quinine was introduced into Europe around 1640. However the destruction of these trees to obtain quinine made them rare and so a way of making it synthetically was sought. This was found in 1944 by Robert Woodward and William Doering.

Quinine Reference

There is some additional reference to Spanish priests taking it back to Spain and another that a Peruvian Viceroy's wife was cured with it. Regardless, it appears to have occurred around 1640. A couple of hundred years before Runge.

At any rate, I'll drink to that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.